s9 adapt "Whoooooooo" noises on exhale

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SneakerPumpernicle

s9 adapt "Whoooooooo" noises on exhale

Post by SneakerPumpernicle » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:41 am

just trying to get the opinions of everyone out there before I schedule with the DME ( A real pain). I have a brand new Resmed s9 adapt and my only issue with it is on exhale it very quitly goes "Whhoooooo.." for like a split second, kind of sounds like a bird cooing off in the distance. It's become the same to me as a drippy faucet, I always hear it even though it's so quiet . it's coming from the machine , not the hose or mask I put my ear on the machine to be sure.

Anyone else have that machine or another s9 and have a simular thing so I can put my mind at ease?

Grand-PAP

Re: s9 adapt "Whoooooooo" noises on exhale

Post by Grand-PAP » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 am

Hi SneakerPumpernicle,

I have used the S9 Elite, S9 AutoSet and now S9 VPAP Adapt and I have never heard such a noise. (Unfortunately) I will listen tonight. If I do hear it, I will surely be thinking of . . .

Whhoooooo brought it to my attention.

Heavylids

Post by Heavylids » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:46 am

Yes, my Resmed S9 makes that little whooo whooo sound for a half second or so when I exhale but it's so soft and nice it's almost like a dove cooing. Doesn't bother me at all.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:43 pm

hmmm, don't recall hearing that, but sounds very soothing - gonna listen tonight and let you know.

cheers,
xena

Jason7

Post by Jason7 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:18 am

Sneaker,
Yes, I listened and heard a faint and short-lived "whoooo" at the end of exhale from my S9 Autoset last night...then I fell asleep...just like a bird call as you say...
Sneaker you must have excellent hearing...my guess is this is normal, but if you find out otherwise, please let us know...
Jason

-tim

Post by -tim » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:05 am

I think it has to do with how they balance the motors. Some of them have more notches in them to balance and they seem to purr more.

Jason7

Post by Jason7 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:47 pm

-tim wrote:I think it has to do with how they balance the motors. Some of them have more notches in them to balance and they seem to purr more.
Hi Tim -- you seem to have some in-depth experience with this, i.e., you know that S9 blower motors with more notches make more noise? Or is this theoretical? What part of the motor do they put the notch in?
Thanks.
Jason

-tim

Post by -tim » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:14 pm

There is a tiny balancing blade on one end of the motor assembly that will have a register mark and a few holes drilled on the edge. The machines with more holes make different noises which makes sense to me. If I was working for ResMed, I would be tempted to drill the holes in the disk and not on the edge to see if that changed the noise level.

And people, don't forget to empty your tank before you move it.... The s9 is a pain to take apart since the outer case is snap together and that mostly is a one time operation. There is also a huge sponge in the bottom that will absorb all the water and turn into a home for massive amounts of mold. I hope they use screws on the S10 as the S9 will not be repairable once the plastic ages.

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:33 am

This is the sound I was trying to describe a few months ago. I originally thought it is a design noise, and am convinced that it is just that, since it happened on my first S9 Autoset and then again on its replacement. Now, others are hearing the noise upon exhalation. It may be a bird call to some; to me, it's annoying. The noise is still there. However, I have it on a stand below the bed covered up with a pillow. Sneak, I am surprised you weren't attacked for asking the question.

SneakerPumpernicle

Post by SneakerPumpernicle » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:14 am

Well I'm glad others are hearing the same type of thing. I really didn't want to have to go through going to get another one. Supplier basically told me I'd have to drop mine off and then wait for the new one to come. I'd probably end up with a total different model to help them bump up their bottom line $$

I guess for some it's soothing as a bird sound. For me as much as I love birds, some of them plain and simple drive me nuts. Maybe it's becuas of all the pre PAP days of lyeing around staring a the cieling and hoping for sleep when every noise or scrap of light would drive me crazy.

I just started using the silicone ear plugs while I sleep(like the kids with tubes wear in the pool). actually quite comfortble, but one more thing that stands between me and my wife, as if the darth vador mask wasn't enough already. I think I may just get a white noise machine and put it next to the cpap to drown out the "soothing to some whooooooo-ting"

Thanks everybody this msg bored is awsome !

leonardlake

Post by leonardlake » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:35 pm

I have had a short whistle or whine at the end of my exhale on my S9 Autoset ever since I got it 18 months ago. I got the machine replaced but I still have the whistle. And I wouldn't call it a soft cooing either. It is loud enough for my wife to hear even though I keep my machine lower than the bed on my side. At least she knows I am still breathing and it hasn't kept either of us awake. I just hope it isn't something wearing out and I don't get the full life out of my machine.

junior49

Post by junior49 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Yes, I have the same thing. I am fairly sure my machine was nice and quiet the first several days, then after about a week I noticed this noise. I wouldn't call it "noisy" at all, but it is pretty annoying. I wish I could make it go away somehow. If anyone finds a way please let us know.

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:40 pm

Leonardlake, I think your machine is operating normally and like mine, is making a design sound. As I have previously posted, my first one did it and after I eliminated all the possible causes I could think of, such as humidifier, EPR, straight cpap, ramp, hose, mask, etc., the DME replaced it in the first week. The replacement does the same thing. The noise is loud enough to wake me and my wife up. I talked to the ResMed rep and he said he had never heard of the problem. He suggested I try a hose cover and a different mask. Both items did not affect the noise. It is coming from the turbine and only occurs after the initial operational phase (minimum pressure setting) finishes and the unit seeks and finds an auto pressure level. Since it doesn't make the noise all the time, I think it is at a specific pressure. I am convinced it is a design problem that ResMed knows about and have decided to ignore for financial reasons. So I set mine on a small stool about a foot off the floor and cover it with a pillow. No, it is not a fire hazard, as has been suggested. At times, I can hear the noise, but it is now considerably muffled. Before I moved it down to a stool, as soon as it woke me up, I would turn it off and right back on, so it would go through the initial phase again and take a while before starting its honking. I really like the machine. I just wish it didn't have vocal cords. Good luck.

pratzert

Post by pratzert » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:32 pm

Hmmmm....

This making me rethink my choice of machines I plan to order very soon. I am due for a new machine and had previously read that the S9 Autoset was the quietest machine around.

But after reading this thread, I am concerned that I am making a mistake.

Darn... I thought I had it all figured out.

In fact, I just contacted my Sleep Doc's office earlier today and asked him to write an Rx for the S9.

Jason7

Post by Jason7 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:55 pm

Hi SMenasco,
It seems that this doesn't occur only in auto mode -- my "whoooo" occurs at 6 cm straight cpap.
Jason