Resmed slimline tube help

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
crookneez

Resmed slimline tube help

Post by crookneez » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:28 am

Hi all
Just received my new slimline tube. My first impression is quite negative but I have yet to try it.
The tube is made from tubing that seems quite rigid, much more so than my regular (grey) tube.
My experience was when I had one of these less flexible regular tubes some time ago, it caused leak problems.
I'm concerned my earlier experience might mean the inflexibility and stiffer construction might outweigh the lighter tube due to the fact that when you roll over, the inflexible nature of the tube tends to push or pull the mask out of place.
What are users experiences and is there a way to make the tube softer and more flexible?

Sheriff Buford

Re: Resmed slimline tube help

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:09 am

I have used all kinds of tubes (hoses) and I have not noticed any difference in the flexibility of each one. I use the slim line and it is a little smaller than the standard hose. You may consider eliminating any flexibility issues by getting a Hose Buddy. There are different types of hose management systems and some folks here have come up with great ideas and made their own (do a search). A Hose Buddy will route the hose above your head. I was starting to sleep so soundly, that I started to lay on my hose. When I moved my head the hose would rip and start leaking. The Hose Buddy has been the best cpap investment I've made. It keeps the hose off my body and eliminates the messing with the hose at night. Just a suggestion.

Sheriff

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:40 am

Sounds like the slimline hose specifications might have changed. The one I got almost 20 months ago was/is very flexible. Much more so than the one that came with my Intellipap, so I'm using it on that machine now and the ClimateLine hose on the S9 Autoset.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:53 am

All of our hoses were much stiffer when first bought.
They seem to loosen up with use/age. Just my opinion.
Just hooked up 2 new Climatelines--darn-they're stiff!

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:05 am

I find the climate line pulls less on my mask as it is lighter weight, but it seems my Climate line is always cold to the touch. My bedroom is 66 degrees and I have my S9 Autoset humidifier at 72, shouldn't the hose feel warm to the touch? I hope it's not defective as it's only just under 3 months old.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:39 am

Mine has never felt warm to the touch.
I think if it did, it would be way too hot.
The main difference I feel is that my nose and face don't feel cold.
(--not really warm, just not cold, either)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:28 pm

portiemom wrote: I have my S9 Autoset humidifier at 72, shouldn't the hose feel warm to the touch?
No, it isn't going to be warm to the touch like you would think.
Unless your hands are extremely cold for some reason the hose will almost always feel cooler unless you crank up the temperature to much closer to your body's normal 98.6.
Just the difference in body vs hose temp will pretty much always have the hose feeling cooler because it is cooler than your hands.
Besides...room temp of 66 and hose 72...not really much difference there either.

When I used the Hybernite heated hose. No way to adjust the temp. Either on or off. Unless part of the hose had been under the covers the warmth was barely discernible when just touching the hose with my hands and it got a lot warmer than the Climateline does.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

pianochick

Post by pianochick » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:27 pm

I put a fleece tube cover I made over my Climate Lite and use a Cozy Hose Boss. A tube cover makes all the difference, whether the tube is heated or not.

crookneez

Post by crookneez » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks everyone
There is a definite differences between hose materials. I much prefer the darker grey hose from ResMed, it seems much more flexible.
The Climateline hose I received yesterday is a much lighter shade of grey and when let out of its bag it retained a memory of the bends.
I hung it for a few hours to try and undo the memory which was moderately successful but there's no doubt the hose is far stiffer and less flexible than the darker grey hose.

I had the same problem with the standard hose some time ago, I received a lighter grey replacement hose which was so inflexible it pulled my mask off and caused leaks every time I moved.
I called ResMed (Australia) and complained and told them I wanted the darker grey more flexible hose which they sent me (and charged for).
I only kept the lighter coloured hose as an emergency replacement.

Now the Slimline has the same issue and sure enough I had significantly more leaks last night. I always sleep on my back and rarely roll over, but even moving my head to and fro caused leaks it seems.
I'm damned if I know why ResMed persist with this material.