Is the CPAP Mask Exchange program good?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Viking4

Is the CPAP Mask Exchange program good?

Post by Viking4 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:57 am

Someone recommended I try the CPAP Library exchange program to try various masks to see which one works best for me since masks are limited from my DME in my area.

What are the goods and bads of this exchange?

RandyJ

Re: Is the CPAP Mask Exchange program good?

Post by RandyJ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:20 am

Viking4 wrote:Someone recommended I try the CPAP Library exchange program to try various masks to see which one works best for me since masks are limited from my DME in my area.

What are the goods and bads of this exchange?

I think it's great - I've used it several times. I don't really see any 'negatives.' Someone might say that you may have to wait a bit if the mask you want to try is not immediately available, but since this is such a unique service I don't see this as a negative thing.

On the positive side you can try a mask for a week or so to see if you like it, without having to buy it. I tried 3 different nasal masks before I settled on the one I eventually bought. I was able to see what I liked and didn't like about each mask and make an informed decision based on my personal experience with the masks, instead of just relying on the suggestions of an RT who may want to push certain masks for business reasons.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:24 am

Well, when pressed about his Infection Control practices, he was either unwilling or unable (or both) to disclose information.

A couple of interesting threads on Infection Control (I know, all the I.D. guys are screaming "It's Infection Prevention you moron!"

http://www.sleepguide.com/forum/topics/ ... 1#comments

http://www.sleepguide.com/forum/topics/ ... ment213881
...other than food...

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:58 am

I cleaned and disinfected mask & headgear THOROUGHLY before & after I used it... no method is foolproof but it was sufficient to satisfy myself that I probably was at least as safe as touching a doorknob or shaking someone's hand... we can't live in glass bubbles unfortunately...

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:08 am

Germaphobe people probably will be more comfortable with a brand new mask and not trials with used masks.
When the cpapauction was alive used masks were how I was able to afford trying all those other nasal pillow masks. No way could I afford to pay retail. I always thoroughly washed and disinfected any of them prior to use. It isn't hard to do. I never gave much thought to "used" and possible germs but then I am not a germaphobe and I have a nice healthy immune system.

I have never used the mask trial program because there isn't anything there that I have the urge to try.
If there was a mask there that I wanted to try I wouldn't have a problem utilizing the service.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:19 am

I fully intend to use the mask library. I guess I'd better hurry.
What's the waiting period on the Hans Rudolph?
As for the infection references: ' Professionals' are upset because. . . (pocket pain, I'm sure)
I would be more concerned with public rest rooms where the door only opens inward and there are only hand dryers--
(no paper towels with which to grasp the door handle).
I don't know of anyone who uses their mask to wipe their backside.
I would hope that library patrons refrain from using fragrance (cologne, etc) while testing, as that stuff soaks in.

RomeinDNVR

Post by RomeinDNVR » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:30 pm

Chunky--

I have the Hans Rudolph mask from the exchange program right now. I think I waited about 2 weeks for them to ship it out to me, which isn't long at all really.

Rome

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:20 am

Pugsy wrote:Germaphobe people probably will be more comfortable with a brand new mask and not trials with used masks.
When the cpapauction was alive used masks were how I was able to afford trying all those other nasal pillow masks. No way could I afford to pay retail. I always thoroughly washed and disinfected any of them prior to use. It isn't hard to do. I never gave much thought to "used" and possible germs but then I am not a germaphobe and I have a nice healthy immune system.

I have never used the mask trial program because there isn't anything there that I have the urge to try.
If there was a mask there that I wanted to try I wouldn't have a problem utilizing the service.
Made in a country like China, I sure they get potty brakes maybe even soap. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:14 am

""Same here. I also have a health immune

If there was a mask there that I wanted to try I wouldn't have a problem utilizing the service.""

I am not worried about the germ issues at all and can hardly wait to try the hybrid mask that I am on the waiting list for. It sounds like a great program.

49er

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:14 pm

for those that have used the program to try a mask, not people that have read and are not sure:

you get an invoice for $14 which you pay to get the mask. i understand that. if you use a credit card do they charge the $14 or do they put a hold on a larger amount to cover the cost of the mask if you don't return it, or don't return it on time? am i going to get charged $150 for a mask and then get all but $14 refunded when they get the mask bask? if not, what stops somebody from paying $14 and not returning the mask? they don't explain any of this. thanks.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:26 pm

The $14 trial is to pay postage. $7 to get it to you and when you receive it I believe there is a pre stamped return postage sticker for $7. That is what I read in an old thread that Dane posted (he manages the mask trial). You can pay by PayPal..no need to use credit card. So no way for additional feels to be charged (not that Dane would do it).

The mask trial is completely separate from the new masks that are sold. The masks offered in the mask trial program are all used masks. No new masks. Dane offers new masks for sale but you don't have to purchase a mask to use the mask trial program. He does have a CPAP supply business but the mask trial is not related to purchase of new mask.

If you don't return the mask after your trial period then you are depriving someone else of a chance to try the mask. So return is based on the honor system. For completely specific answers to your questions email Dane at the website and ask him. I don't recall his ever mentioning about people not returning the masks.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sleepnationtv

Post by sleepnationtv » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:46 am

Hi All,

The mask trial program is under the honor system for know. Everyone has returned their masks so I am not too concerned with that being a problem right now. Thanks everyone for being honest.

As far as cleaning we do clean all masks with approved hospital grade germicidal cleaners.

I hope that clears up some questions.

Dane
Dane Schapper, Founder cpaplibrary.com
Check out the cpaplibrary video bloghttp://www.cpaplibrary.com

Elle

Post by Elle » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:09 am

I wouldn't count on a "new" mask being clean. More than once I was given masks with a different brand headgear to try on at my seller. The plastic they are sealed in is easy to reseal. I am sure many of the masks we try and return to our DME are resealed and sold as new. I wash new masks well and try not to be too paranoid. I AM a germophobe.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 pm

I have a Mirage Liberty on trial now. It's my first trial and I think it's a great service. The mask I recieved looks new to me. I wanted to find a full face for when I have nasal congestion.

b360155

Post by b360155 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:13 pm

Excellent program for getting 1st hand in-home experience with a mask BEFORE you decide to buy. I used it before I bought my Quattro FX. Took about 3 or 4 weeks after I submitted my request before I got the mask. It comes in a nice new USPS box with the return postage label inside so after you finish your 1-week trial, just clean the mask, put it back in the same box, tape it shut, put the label on the box and send it back. Couldn't be easier and great deal for only $14 IMO. I just submitted a request about a week ago for the Respcare Innomed Hybrid. I just wanted to try that one out because I have a Resmed Mirage Liberty hybrid that I like but have had difficulty getting a good seal on the nasal pillows. Others have had better luck with the Respcare so I thought I'd check it out for myself. Guess I'm not a germaphobe and not paranoid about Dane making any phantom charges beyond the advertised $14.