Hydrochlorothiazide (or other diuretics) and cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Elle

Hydrochlorothiazide (or other diuretics) and cpap

Post by Elle » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:55 am

I have been having fuzzy head and a feeling of blocked ears for a couple of months now and wondered whether it was the change in pressure from my cpap. I had a compliance only machine for years set at a pressure of 8 and in December started on my S9 with a pressure range of 8 to 14 (the pressure hovers around 13ish).

Now, I am wondering whether this build up or clogged feeling might be from discontinuing HCTZ in January? I am wondering whether anyone else has had a similar experience?
Last edited by Elle on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julie

Re: Hydrochlorothiazide (or other diuretics) and cpap

Post by Julie » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:49 pm

I would think it's much more likely to be due to the higher xpap pressure, but see what others say.

Elle

Post by Elle » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:52 pm

It's probably the placebo effect but I took a pill (HCTZ) this morning and already feel less fuzzy.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Elle wrote:It's probably the placebo effect but I took a pill (HCTZ) this morning and already feel less fuzzy.
Hctz is to reduce your blood pressure, correct? What is you BP when you feel this way? Why did you stop the HCTZ?

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Elle

Post by Elle » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:18 pm

HCTZ was prescribed for BP but it is a diuretic. I have been dizzy for a couple of years and wanted to wean down to as few meds as possible to rule out med side effects as causing the dizziness. I started with that one and my BP didn't go up any so I just quit it all together and have been off it for two months. I can't recall when this fuzzy stuffed head and ears started but it could be as long as two months.

I noticed my ankles were a bit swollen this morning and had an "aha" moment and wondered whether fluid build up in ankles without the diuretic could also be the cause of fluid build up in my ears or congestion in general. I will check with my doc but there are so many people with different outcomes and solutions here I thought I would check.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:24 pm

GumbyCT wrote: What is you BP when you feel this way?

;)

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm on a heavy dosage of Lasix to pump water from my heart. I too have ear problems from XPAP @15 cm, and dizzy at times, but I don't think the med's are a factor, I think it the pressure working in the ear, and congestion that are the reason.

It's a small price to pay for a good nights sleep, the ear problem gets better after I'm up and moving around. Jim

Stopping a diuretic if you need one could cause even more trouble than any guessed about side effects, in my case heart stress would be deadly, fluid on legs can be too.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Elle wrote:I noticed my ankles were a bit swollen this morning and had an "aha" moment and wondered whether fluid build up in ankles without the diuretic could also be the cause of fluid build up in my ears or congestion in general.
Could very well be. Checking your ankles thru out the day could be helpful.

Fluids do re-distribute all thru out your body when you get horizontal. That is why passing out sometimes resolves things for people.

;)

Elle

Post by Elle » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:46 pm

You people are better than pub med...and many doctors I have found. Thanks for the input. I think I will stick with the HCTZ whether it solves this stuffed feeling or not.
Last edited by Elle on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NateS

Post by NateS » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:48 pm

I too take Lasix prescribed by my doctor for swelling in the legs and ankles and HBP but my doctor specifically warned me never to take it in the evening because the urinary urges would be disturbing my sleep and my xPAP therapy. So I take it in the morning and sometimes at noon but never after.

And actually my xPAP therapy has reduced my ankle and leg swelling more than the Lasix did!

Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi Elle

Pay great attention to your blood pressure if you are not taking the diuretic. Last October I started to see my BP going down, I was feeling kind of dizzy so I decided to stop the diuretics and the BP pill. I was OK for a month then the BP was going up I started the meds then going down again I stop the meds , etc etc

But one day when I was not taking the pills nor tested the pressure my BP went up and I finished at the emergency, I maybe made a micro ACV we don't know. The moral of the story is we need to be very careful with the BP meds we CAN'T stop it as we want without a close follow up. I returned to the meds, now I have half the dosage and all is going well, I'm hopping maybe one day I will be able to get rid of it but until then I'll continue religiously taking it .

Elle

Post by Elle » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi Rosacer, Good advise. I did let my doctor know when I stopped it and I see her often enough and she monitors my BP and I keep track at home but it is a good idea to keep close watch.

tomjax

Post by tomjax » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:29 pm

I am not sure why you stopped hctz.

I think hctz is one of the most effective drugs for ht.

In addition to its primary role as a diuretic, it also has a separate bp lowering effect not related to its diuretic.

And how does it work when a homeless person is sentenced to house arrest?

Elle

Post by Elle » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:45 pm

I stopped it because one of it's documented side effects is dizziness and I was dizzy. I had seen an internist in the recent past who specialized in cardiology and he was not a fan of the drug and thought I shouldn't be using it but because my GP had prescribed it I wanted to check in with her (I was also worried about ankle swelling) so I waited and then stopped it a couple of months ago after advising my GP of my intention.

I had halved nexium and there was no decrease in the dizziness so the HTCZ was next. I did not have an increase in BP after discontinuing it.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:57 pm

I take HCTZ and another drug for high blood pressure. I would not be going off any BP meds unless the Dr. says so. High BP can kill you quick, compared to ear stuffiness. I'll take the ear issues (which I do have on HCTZ anyway)

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs