Temperature or Manual settings for Temp and humidity S9

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Qtrmidad

Temperature or Manual settings for Temp and humidity S9

Post by Qtrmidad » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:46 pm

For those who have the Res Med S9 and the Humidity unit and climate line hose, do you use manual mode or the auto mode and just set Temp?

I have had to experiment a bit, my old machine which was an M series, I only used Passover and no heat.

I was always comfortable and fine but my pressure was fixed at 6.

This new auto machine, I have had congestion, runny nose, and a sore inside one nostril since December.

It is probably the higher pressure, the dryer air in winter here.

I am set on climate control in auto mode and set at 77 degrees. My APRN says it should be 80.

I find 80 too warm for me using my nasal mask. I don't think there is any way I could use pillows.

However at 77 the auto mode is supposed to deliver 80% humidity based on measurement of the room and mask sensors?

What are some of your experiences with nasal issues and adjusting the S9 and climate control?

Thanks

G

idamtnboy

Re: Temperature or Manual settings for Temp and humidity S9

Post by idamtnboy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:05 pm

Qtrmidad wrote:This new auto machine, I have had congestion, runny nose, and a sore inside one nostril since December.

It is probably the higher pressure, the dryer air in winter here.

I am set on climate control in auto mode and set at 77 degrees. My APRN says it should be 80.

I find 80 too warm for me using my nasal mask. I don't think there is any way I could use pillows.
I have only used pillows but others have said there is quite a difference between pillow and mask for most comfortable temperature. I find 78 to be quite comfortable. Give a pillow mask a try. Many find it just works better.

The auto control for humidity works well in my experience. The only time you may need to go to manual settings is if your room temp is cold. If you do try pillows get a tube of Lansinoh from your local pharmacy. It's lanolin nipple cream for nursing mothers and is in the baby supply dept.

I have no problem with congestion. The biggest change in that area for me is I do have to blow my nose several times a day most every day. But that's because the nasal passages are staying wetter and I now no longer have to dig boogers out of my nose!

lovescuba

Post by lovescuba » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:44 pm

I think part is the area you live in and the natural humidity, I live in Arizona, and find a setting of 82 to 83 comfortable, with a room temp of about 70....I battle being stuffy most of the day until I put my mask on at night....

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:31 pm

If have my S9 in "auto" Climate Control but set the temp to 85 with nasal mask. If find any nasal congestion I have when I put on the mask is soon gone. I live in the deep south where natural humidity if very high. However, the use of central heat/air conditioner really dries the air INDOORS. Yesterday was an unusually warm day for winter so I had the air conditioner on--I like room temp at 70. I forget to switch it to heat before I went to bed. I woke up about 1:30AM and my ClimateLine hose was NOT warm and air from CPAP wasn't warm or moist. I got up and checked thermostat for central heat and the indoor temp was down to 67 degrees. I turned it to heat and within 10 minutes my room was back at 70 AND warm moist air was coming into my mask AND the ClimateLine hose was warm again.

I don't know why just 3 degrees colder room temp would turn off the heater on my humidifier and heat in ClimateLine. Apparently the ClimateControl algorithm starts with the ambient room temperature and then figures out how to adjust air coming out the humidifier.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:20 pm

How are you changing the temperature, I have found no setting for this at all on my S9. I do not even see a temperature anywhere on the machine. All I know is that it makes me sweat profusely around the mask.

Elle

Post by Elle » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:28 pm

I have had a stuffy nose since I started using the S9. I had the humidity at 3 and the temp at 27 C (80.6). I recently put the humidity to 4 and feel a bit less congested....not sure if this is coincidental. I do find the mask too warm still.

To set the temp you have to have the hose connected and to change humidity leave the hose off....or the other way around?

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:08 am

I find when I use a nasal mask there is a vast difference using the S9 with auto climate hose. My bedroom temp stays at 66 degrees and if I set the temp at 70 it is great, though if it's allergy season, which it is now here in VA. I may need to bump it up to 75. When I use a pillow mask I bump the temp up to 80 and love it. So for me the delivery is very different depending on the type of mask.

sleepnationtv

Post by sleepnationtv » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:33 am

Here is a link to our video on the S9 that will show you how to navigate all of the settings.
http://www.cpaplibrary.com/machine-education

Dane
Dane Schapper, Founder cpaplibrary.com
Check out the cpaplibrary video bloghttp://www.cpaplibrary.com

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:27 pm

I recently traveled from NC to Las Vegas for a conference and used my CPAP machine the whole time. I had to increase my humidity level greatly to account for the dry desert air. My friends kept saying I was so lucky to have my CPAP machine as they all got nose bleeds from the dry air but I was fine. I did get a chuckle from being the lucky one!

jess77

Post by jess77 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:33 pm

I have had a resmedS9 H5i humidifier for 18 months now and unable to use the climate control at all due to it not supplying me with enough humidity to be comfortable I have tried low temps high temps and still having dryness issues which i am extremely disappointed with therefore I have to set the machine on manual so that i can control the temp and humidity to suit me and the seasons.
I would be curious if anyone else has this prob

Elle

Post by Elle » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:38 pm

I have the S9 and change the temp when the climateline hose is plugged in and then change the humidity when it is unplugged. i have my humidity on 5