CPAP Mask/Moustache

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GregDoering

CPAP Mask/Moustache

Post by GregDoering » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:57 pm

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea May 8, 2007. At the beginnining my test indicated I needed 10 H2O CPAP pressure. Many nights of the wind storm on my face keeping me awake. Except for good sleep aid perscriptions; I wouldn't have made it. I realized the increase in pressure was to offset the leakage thru my moustache. The last 3 1/2 years or so I have been obsessed with finding a way to solve the problem. I created a device I wear every night with my classic comfort mask, by respironics. October 2011, I had another sleep study (torture) done with my device in place. I am now able to start at 4.5 CPAP H2O with the machine ramping up to 5.5 CPAP H2O, with no apnea events recorded. They say I need to go to 8 CPAP H2O for maximum O2; but I can't tolerate that level.
(Perhaps someday?) I have applied for a "Provisional Patent" good till mid Aug. 2012. I have never invented anything or applied for a patent till now. The odds I will get anywhere with this are around 1%. My hope in a community of fellow users is that I may find that person to help me (and all the fellow moustache persons). I greatly respect this forum and have no intention of abusing the priviledge. I feel I have something beneficial to share, and would be happy to share more with anyone interested.
Thanks! Greg

LSAT

Re: CPAP Mask/Moustache

Post by LSAT » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:40 am

If you used a FF mask like a Quattro, the moustache would not matter at all because the lower part of the mask would not fall on your upper lip...it would be below your lower lip

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:58 am

I'm not 100% sure of what mask you use (nasal, full face or total face mask). Please place your equipment in your profile. I agree, a full face mask is probably your best solution. There are many different brands of full face masks. Go to your DME, try on the different types, and hook up a display machine (which is set at your setting) and see which one feels the most comfortable and doesn't leak. Different brand masks inject or direct the air into the mask at different locations.

Sheriff

Perrybucsdad

Post by Perrybucsdad » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:21 am

When I first started I used the Quattro FX FFM, and although I have a goat, I never had an issue with the moustache part. Not sure exactly which mask it is you have. I have switched to a nasal pillow and have even more comfort with that now. Is your mask possibly a Nasal Mask? I could see that having issues with a moustache (especially if it is more full in length).

The only issue I had with leaks on the FFM were with the beard part.

I wish you luck with the patent and invention though. Once you get it all finalized, I hope you can share with us how this works as I'm sure it could help others.

John

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:43 am

I have a goatee - I have been using a Mirage Quattro full face with no major leak issues. I do notice that I need to keep it trimmed regularly to control the leaks. I tried using a Mirage FX nasal mask, but I never could get it to seal really good on my upper lip area, plus I have some major mouth breathing issues at times.

My leak issues seem to be with length of the beard, got a new trimmer for Christmas, now I just trim the length a bit if I start to get leaks now.

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:47 am

I'm not trying to be ugly or anything but perhaps you need to do what the docs say to do. 8 is not that high a pressure and if you use your ramp feature over a long enough period of time, it shouldn't be an issue. If you start at 8, of course it will be a problem. My brother was 51 when he died and it was because he didn't deal with his sleep apnea for so long and that had very long range affects on his health. What I'm saying is that SA can be fatal and you really shouldn't play with it. I just don't want you to get sick from a problem so easily dealt with.
GregDoering wrote:I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea May 8, 2007. At the beginnining my test indicated I needed 10 H2O CPAP pressure. Many nights of the wind storm on my face keeping me awake. Except for good sleep aid perscriptions; I wouldn't have made it. I realized the increase in pressure was to offset the leakage thru my moustache. The last 3 1/2 years or so I have been obsessed with finding a way to solve the problem. I created a device I wear every night with my classic comfort mask, by respironics. October 2011, I had another sleep study (torture) done with my device in place. I am now able to start at 4.5 CPAP H2O with the machine ramping up to 5.5 CPAP H2O, with no apnea events recorded. They say I need to go to 8 CPAP H2O for maximum O2; but I can't tolerate that level.
(Perhaps someday?) I have applied for a "Provisional Patent" good till mid Aug. 2012. I have never invented anything or applied for a patent till now. The odds I will get anywhere with this are around 1%. My hope in a community of fellow users is that I may find that person to help me (and all the fellow moustache persons). I greatly respect this forum and have no intention of abusing the priviledge. I feel I have something beneficial to share, and would be happy to share more with anyone interested.
Thanks! Greg

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:00 am

I agree with Kairosgrammy, 8 is not that high of a pressure. I am at 10.5 and I do not use my ramp anymore. If I started at 4.5 right now I would feel like I am suffocating. This is how I stopped using my ramp.
Week 1 Ramp Time 20 min, Pressure start 6 end 10.5
Week 2 Ramp Time 20 min, Pressure start 7 end 10.5
Week 3 Ramp Time 20 min, Pressure start 8 end 10.5
Week 4 Ramp Time 20 min, Pressure start 9 end 10.5

Eventually your brain will program out the pressure and make that the new normal.

They prescribed a pressure of 10 for a reason, as that was the pressure that controlled the apneas during the study. Changing the pressure to a lower pressure may not control your apnea as well, compromising your therapy.

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

NCHawk

Post by NCHawk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:05 am

My pressure is 14 and I didn't have any trouble with my mustache the nasal mask I was initially given six years ago. I had even stopped using the ramp feature a couple of years back. When I got my new machine last February my DME suggested that I try using nasal pillows instead, and had no problem with them, although I did go back to using the ramp.

GregDoering

Post by GregDoering » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks for your replys!
I am new to using a forum so I have info overload with all the responses.
In general, I use Respironics Classic Comfort mask. I like the small size, and with my invention I have peace with the alien attached to my face at night .
During my sleep study the "Lowest pressure associated with high confidence level for the elimination of respiratory abnormalities appears to have been reached at 4 cm H2O CPAP. At this pressure, despite the provocation of stage REM sleep, the RDI/AHI was reduced to 8 and oxyhemoglobin saturation remained above 92%."
I am not clear what the above means; but, it sounds good? I would enjoy sitting with someone to exchange real time disscussion comparing the first study vs the new one. My sleep Dr. didn't seem interested in spending the time; just said sleep studies have been done the same way for over 30 years.
I do have a full beard also. The nose cannula doesn't appeal to me. Perhaps my problems living with PTSD from my combat experiences take results to a different normal? Interested in all the feedback; Thanks! Greg.

Breathe Jimbo

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:37 pm

I have no problem using the ResMed Swift LT nasal pillows with my mustache and goatee. I can use both the medium and large pillows, but I find the large have more "margin for error" (i.e. room to slip around) before a leak occurs. The medium are less forgiving of movement.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:52 pm

Hubby has a full beard, about 1.25" long.
His mask, Fisher-Paykel Flexi-Fit 431, works pretty darn well.

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 pm

[quote="Kairosgrammy"]I'm not trying to be ugly or anything but perhaps you need to do what the docs say to do. 8 is not that high a pressure and if you use your ramp feature over a long enough period of time, it shouldn't be an issue. If you start at 8, of course it will be a problem. My brother was 51 when he died and it was because he didn't deal with his sleep apnea for so long and that had very long range affects on his health. What I'm saying is that SA can be fatal and you really shouldn't play with it. I just don't want you to get sick from a problem so easily dealt with.

So sorry to hear about your brother dying. My apnea is getting worse and destroying my life and career. I'm not sure why it has gotten worse with my asthma wheezing- I take a lot of asthma meds and they still don't help my exhaling/wheezing.
Can I ask what does sleep apnea do to you over time? I've already had bad cognitive effects, can't think, am in a constant fog and am so tired every day. I think I have central apnea/hypopnea but am having tonsil surgery soon.
I read on Dr. Park's site that sleep apnea can cause brain damage or lesions
18/14 bipap st

DavidE

Post by DavidE » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:48 pm

Greg--I am just starting my 6th year as a CPAP user. Until just a couple months ago, I was at a pressure of 7, which is actually rather low. From what I've learned, you're not talking about high CPAP pressures until you're approaching the 20 range! I'm currently at 10, since my lower pressure was no longer getting the job done for me. You can Google the specific definition of AHI, but basically it's a measure of the number of obstructive apnea incidents that occur during sleep. Apenas are the times that you stop breathing during sleep for at least 10 seconds. The respiratory therapists at my DME (equipment supplier) confirm that the AHI number should be under 5 for effective CPAP therapy. O2 numbers are used along with AHI and a couple other numbers to diagnose just where someone is and whether they are receiving proper therapy. When apnea incidents occur, one indicator is that the blood oxygen level drops below the mid-to-high 90 percent saturation. So, sleep docs look for a sawtooth pattern in the graph of O2 levels, with the dips in the oxygen saturation below the 90% mark confirming apnea incidents. This is just what I have learned as a CPAP patient. About masks, I looked yours up and see that it is a nasal mask. I used one for 5 years along with a chin strap that was supposed to keep my mouth closed; it didn't. So, I recently switched to a "full face" mask, the ResMed Quattro, which is a very nice mask. However, like the nasal one, it created a painful, red pressure sore on the bridge of my nose. Just a few days ago, I got a total face mask that makes no contact with the nose, mustache area or mouth. I believe I have found my solution. I hope these notes are of some help.

new equipment: ResMed S9 Elite with H5i humidifier
new mask: Respironics FitLife total face mask

GregDoering

Post by GregDoering » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
I really like this forum! My current struggle
is catching on to the "lingo". Is there a new
person tutorial for this site?
It will take me time to absorb and understand
my sleep study info. Mostly;when I wake up
and get on with my day, a good nights sleep
makes all the difference in the world!
Looking forward to this great community
support!
Thanks! Greg
Posted with my I-phone (hope it works)

Robespierre

Post by Robespierre » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:23 am

Greg,

To learn the lingo, and a whole lot more, click on the yellow light bulb at the top of the page. Then read, read, read. There is a lot to learn, and you're getting the view from the patient end of the hose.

Nasal pillows are really not cannulas, the pillows only touch the openings of your nares. They don't go up inside your nose. I have a moustache and use nasal pillows. No leaking through the stache.