How should your prescription read???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Komodo

How should your prescription read???

Post by Komodo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:39 am

I tried to re-order some supplies from my DME, and they informed me my prescription had expired. They told me I had to get a new script in order to get the supplies.

I called my doc to fax one over, and they told me it's been over a year since I've seen them, and I had to come in for a regular visit (and pay for the visit!) for a new script.

Is there anything special I should have the doc write on the script so I don't have to go back to him every year JUST for a new prescription?????

BTW....I was only ordering filters, and a new water chamber from my DME. I didn't think either one required a perscription.

BlackSpinner

Re: How should your prescription read???

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:51 am

look on cpap.com for the examples and forms. Print it out and fill it out and bring it to your doctor (any doctor) to sign. Make sure there is no expiry date this time.

In many cases Doctors are required to see a patient in order to write or re write a prescription. This is to prevent fraud on part of the doctor and drug abuse on part of the patient.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Komodo

Post by Komodo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:15 am

BlackSpinner wrote:look on cpap.com for the examples and forms. Print it out and fill it out and bring it to your doctor (any doctor) to sign. Make sure there is no expiry date this time.

In many cases Doctors are required to see a patient in order to write or re write a prescription. This is to prevent fraud on part of the doctor and drug abuse on part of the patient.
Thanks. I checked out their form, and it's pretty much the same as the one I have from my doc, including the 99 year part.

That got me to thinking that maybe my DME input the date they received the original script, and are going by that, instead of what the script actually said it was good for (99 years).

tomjax

Post by tomjax » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:49 am

It seems that every time I reply to a prescription question, it is totally ignored.
PAPS do not require a PRESCRIPTION, it requires an ORDER as stated on the packages.
These are very different animals.
Pharmacies are licensed to fill Rx, DME are licensed to fill ORDERS.
One hint is that you suggest a 99 year duration.
RX have a one year limit- no exceptions.
Any dme that tells you your rx has expired after a year are only showing their ignorance.
When you call your dme and ask to fax your order for PAP, they will gladly accept it.

Try to call your local pharmacy and ask to fax in your RX.
This is not done.
Mail order rx providers will only accept fax from a docs office, not patients.
Bet nobody will pay any attention to this.
Ignorance is bliss.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:06 pm

tomjax wrote:It seems that every time I reply to a prescription question, it is totally ignored.
PAPS do not require a PRESCRIPTION, it requires an ORDER as stated on the packages.
These are very different animals.
Pharmacies are licensed to fill Rx, DME are licensed to fill ORDERS.
One hint is that you suggest a 99 year duration.
RX have a one year limit- no exceptions.
Any dme that tells you your rx has expired after a year are only showing their ignorance.
When you call your dme and ask to fax your order for PAP, they will gladly accept it.

Try to call your local pharmacy and ask to fax in your RX.
This is not done.
Mail order rx providers will only accept fax from a docs office, not patients.
Bet nobody will pay any attention to this.
Ignorance is bliss.
Probably because we have to deal with "pros" who have never heard this either.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:16 pm

Komodo wrote:BTW....I was only ordering filters, and a new water chamber from my DME. I didn't think either one required a perscription.
You are correct. Technically these items are considered replacement items and would not normally fall under the RX (or physician order) requirement limitation. Apparently your DME does things differently. I still get filters, masks, nasal pillow replacement from my DME off the original order from May 2009. I have not seen the sleep doctor since August 2009 and no one has said a thing about expiration at the DME.

You can find filters, mask replacement parts, & humidifier replacement parts on the internet without RX requirement.
Cpap.com has them. Other online cpap suppliers have them. Even EBay has them.

Regarding using the terms RX prescription and/or Physician order.
Online suppliers use the term RX prescription...see requirement listed here
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... ml?src=atg
The physician order is commonly written on a RX prescription pad when given to a patient but I suppose there could be a different form used for faxing to a DME. End result is the same though. I never saw the original paperwork sent from doctor to DME via Fax. The copy that I have in my possession coming from physician office is on a typical RX pad.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:09 pm

When I needed a new machine, the DME told me I needed a new script. I bypassed my sleep doc and called my primary care doctor. I told her I need a new script for a cpap machine and when I called me sleep doc, they tried to give me an appointment for 3 MONTHS away. My previous machine was dead. I told my primary I needed a script that says "auto cpap" . She wrote it. I picked it up. Then I scanned and emailed it to cpap.com and I buy everything from them and bypass the local (rip-off) DME.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:58 pm

My DME is using a prescription from over 2 years ago. I think Pugsy is right...you shouldn't need a prescription for supplies.

Komodo

Post by Komodo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:36 am

Pugsy wrote:You are correct. Technically these items are considered replacement items and would not normally fall under the RX (or physician order) requirement limitation. Apparently your DME does things differently. I still get filters, masks, nasal pillow replacement from my DME off the original order from May 2009. I have not seen the sleep doctor since August 2009 and no one has said a thing about expiration at the DME.

After reading the replies, I decided to give my DME a call and double check on my old prescription. I just got off the phone with my DME.
It wasn't actually that the prescription per se was expired, it was my insurance company's authorization that expired! They have a policy that authorization for PAP/supplies is only good for 1 year. After that you need a new prescription, and new authorization! My DME didn't realize that until my insurance stopped paying them for supplies. It's been WELL over a year since my last "authorization" and I've had several shipments from the DME that the insurance is just now refusing to pay for.

LUCKILY, my DME said not to worry about the cost. It was their mistake, and they'd absorb the loss. WHEW!

Perrybucsdad

Post by Perrybucsdad » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:15 am

The rx that my doc wrote says "with lifetime supplies". We'll see if that will be good enough though. My experience with DME's on other items is that I will need to send a new rx in next year.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:20 am

I don't know whether it's a new law, or just my DME supplier, but they had sign up recently in their storefront that if prescriptions are 12-months old, a new one has to be obtained.

When I asked them about this, they just wanted to know who my sleep doctor is, and they'll get the new script. My neurologist was very happy with my therapy when I visited her 6-months ago, and doesn't really want to see me again unless I have issues, so not a problem for me.

I do know that when I get to the time of replacing my machine, I'll be checking whether I can have an APAP instead of just straight CPAP - if not, I'll be asking for a new script as I know my original one said CPAP and all supplies.

Chees,
xena

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:23 pm

For anyone else who might be interested, our host has an excellent page here:https://www.cpap.com/cpap-faq/Prescriptions.html

and for tomjax; medicare says, "An order (prescription) must be on file with the supplier. It must be signed and dated by the treating doctor."

Jay

RN

Post by RN » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:10 am

It is quite apparent that no one commenting on this blog is a medical professional. Medicaid/medicare regulations state:

5.2.4 – Requirement of New Orders
A new order is required in the following situations:
• There is a change in the order for the accessory, supply, drug, etc.;
• On a regular basis (even if there is no change in the order) only if it is so specified in the documentation section of a particular medical policy;
• When an item is replaced; and
• When there is a change in the supplier.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:15 am

RN wrote:It is quite apparent that no one commenting on this blog is a medical professional. Medicaid/medicare regulations state:

5.2.4 – Requirement of New Orders
A new order is required in the following situations:
• There is a change in the order for the accessory, supply, drug, etc.;
• On a regular basis (even if there is no change in the order) only if it is so specified in the documentation section of a particular medical policy;
• When an item is replaced; and
• When there is a change in the supplier.
At least we are smart enough to not bring up 4 year posts to cry over, just because we have nothing to do. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:14 am

I realize this may be a shock; but not everyone has Medicare or Medicaid.
And some folks don't even have INSURANCE!

--and another thing; many posters here have been FAILED by the "professionals", which is why we are here.