Ever used the same pillows two nights in a row?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jimnsc

Ever used the same pillows two nights in a row?

Post by jimnsc » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 am

Went to bed dog-tired last night and forgot to change pillows. I leave the headgear hanging on my hose buddy and just turned out the lights, reached up and donned the Swift LT. I slept really well and My AHI of 1.0 bettered the night before of 1.4 and I was really surprised when I saw the pillows I was supposed to have used in my bathroom this a.m.

I'm curious if anyone else has done this and fared okay?

Thanks - Jim

apneawho

Re: Ever used the same pillows two nights in a row?

Post by apneawho » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:04 am

I use the Swift FX nasal pillows for a month or more without changing. Only washing with mild Ivory soap. Have you always changed them every night?

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:07 am

Yup, I go a week without washing them..and I use lansinoh, so by the end of the week they are really gucky. I do put my whole mask in a plastic bag every morning and put it in the drawer. I find the guckier they are the better they stick....no leaks . I wash them every Sunday with baby shampoo, leave them to dry on a clean hand towel and either use another set for the next week or if they are good and dry I'll just pop them back into the frame again.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

jimnsc

Post by jimnsc » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:10 am

apneawho wrote:I use the Swift FX nasal pillows for a month or more without changing. Only washing with mild Ivory soap. Have you always changed them every night?
I have because for some reason I thought I was supposed to change them daily. I have 5 sets and line them up in a plastic container. The morning after I use the last set I wash them all and start all over again. Am I being a dummy?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:14 am

Let's see.... current pillows have been on the headgear since Saturday night.. Haven't done a darn thing to them.
Absolutely nothing. I am lazy and do as little as possible with my gear. I do use the barrel cozy though...so only the little cones come in contact with any skin. No Lansinoh use in a long, long time.
Encore Pro set to show unintentional leak only.. so no leaks to speak of.
BTW this XSmall nasal pillow has been used off and on (sometimes I swap out sizes) off and on for at least since last December. Barrel cozy since last of February. Don't know if it has helped with life of pillows or not because even before barrel cozy I got months of use from a nasal pillow.

Last edited by Pugsy on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:15 am

I would not say you are being a dummy...just a little OCD. lol I use the same set of pillows for months at a time before finally changing. I do wash them on occasion. I just started boiling them to see if I can get a little more wear out of them. I am self pay...so stretching my dollar is of importance...as long as it does not have a negative impact on my therapy.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:28 am

I've used my nasal pillows (on a Breeze mask) a couple of thousand nights in a row, without even washing, and I'm doing just fine.
McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

JayC

Post by JayC » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:40 am

I wash LT nasal pillows as needed.....if my leak rate is zero, I leave it alone until it is not! Also wash if I have any runny nose issues... That often translates into weekly removal cleaning.

Changing to a new one? I nursed my first nasal pillow from July 2008 until earlier this year (2011)!

If it is sanitary and ain't broke....

J

AlanMacNeill

Post by AlanMacNeill » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 am

I find that I have to wash my pillow every night, but I use the same one in my mask so far.

If I don't wash it, I seem to have massive leak issue...not sure what the connection is.

LaurieP

Post by LaurieP » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:14 pm

When I started in May I would rinse the tank and pillows every day....now it's maybe once a week or every other week. I use a barrel cozy so not much touching the pillows but the nares...No problems with leaks at all. Every one is different, it's what works for you that is right!!

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi Jim.... I wash my LT pillows once a week and use cpap wipes in between. I replace my pillows at the 3 month mark.... unless I get a bad set that gets mushy after only 2 months. You are definitely not a dummy.... just way too fastidious

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

LoneStar

Post by LoneStar » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:05 pm

I must be one of the clean freaks or OCD. I wash my pillows every morning with Dr. Bronner's soap. I wash my Pad-a-Cheek covers, too. I figure since it touches my skin that it's kind of like underwear; a shower and a clean pair every night before bed!

Lisa

Additional Comments: APAP, humidifier on passover, heated hose
With xPAP therapy, do or do not; there is no try.

codinqueen

Post by codinqueen » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Back in Feb when I was a newbie, I washed them weekly. That soon got old. Now I clean the pillows every day with a CVS Sensitive skin baby wipe, and have no problems.I found it difficult to get them back on the frame due to my arthritis when i DID wash them in soap and water.

Pressure 6-10 cm

cowlypso

Post by cowlypso » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:04 pm

Haha... I haven't washed or changed my pillows in about 3 months. I just wipe them off on occassion and hang the whole darned thing on the bedpost during the day.

greg-g

Post by greg-g » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:21 pm

I'm getting on to about 15 months with my original set of pillows.
I boil them every month or three with a little BiCab of Soda.
Wash them every week or so with baby shampoo or whatever is handy
Wipe them daily with a wet cloth to remove the skin oil.