OT: Hurricane Irene

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GumbyCT

OT: Hurricane Irene

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:34 pm

Hurricane Irene is expected to arrive in CT on Sun. Our now famous Gov. Malloy who has been busy breaking the back of his state workers union has already signed a Declaration of Emergency.
http://www.courant.com/news/weather/hc- ... 0369.story

It looks like NY, NJ, & others have also signed an emergency declaration as it allows the Gov. to be proactive in doing certain things BEFORE the storm hits on Sun. This could be a good thing. The highest tide for the month is also expected on Sun and will add to the coastal flooding woes.

IF Irene crosses at a certain point in NYC it is expected that Flash Floods will result because of all the concrete and water not having a place to go.

Oh did I say apnea? cpap? nasal pillows?

ps. Amos I hope you are right and the "Tarheels" take the punch out of cousin Irene.
Goober says hey

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Muse-Inc

Re: OT: Hurricane Irene

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:37 pm

Y'all on the coast have my sympathy -- not gonna be a picnic.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm hearing the Carolinas and North Carolina, no mention of South Carolina except as "the Carolinas". My grandson and his family are in Beautfort, South Carolina. We have family just outside of Boston and more in Maine. Its South Carolina we are mostly worrying about.

Best wishes and good luck to all our forum members in Irene's path!!!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Alshain

Post by Alshain » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:05 pm

What really worries me about Irene is that it's trajectory is just the right angle to head back to sea and cycle around again like they sometimes do... building strength all the while. If it does this and manages to push over Cuba or Florida and hit the gulf while the water is the warmest it has ever been, she will make Katrina look like a brisk breeze when she hits land.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:16 pm

The price of gas is already going up.... go figure.

;)

fireman38355

Post by fireman38355 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:22 pm

Y'all be safe out there! We are praying that everyone comes out ok.

Jeff

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:35 pm

Stay safe, and get those battery back up plans in place for your cpaps! As a Floridian, it is truly odd to be watching this hurricane affecting the NE. But, I do remember being a child on Long Island when Donna hit in 1960..... it just wasn't as populated then. The New Moon will also be adding to the misery with higher than normal tides. Thoughts are with all... take care!

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

SleepingBearDoNtWake

Post by SleepingBearDoNtWake » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:53 am

I was just wondering, does anyone have any plans in case the power goes out to find a way to use your CPap. It's been several months now, and I find that I can't usually sleep with out it. I have a little battery jumper things for my car that I think I could possibly plug it into, but don't have a clue as for how long it would give me power for.

Mike

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:18 am

I am a New Orleans native and it is freaking me out that this is happening on virtually the anniversary of Katrina. The most devastating effects of Katrina were due to flooding following the levees breaking. I keep hoping that it's going to weaken a bit.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:05 am

bayourest wrote:I am a New Orleans native and it is freaking me out that this is happening on virtually the anniversary of Katrina. The most devastating effects of Katrina were due to flooding following the levees breaking. I keep hoping that it's going to weaken a bit.
That is right, the anniversary of Katrina is Aug. 28, I had recently left Keesler, MS after spending several weeks reliving memories along Hiway 90.

Where is our pal Stevo?

;)

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:02 am

Stay safe my friends! I am hoping that all of you have taken precautions to stay out of harms way. STAY SAFE!!!!
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:10 am

I'm in NY on Long Island. Looks like we're gonna get slammed no matter where this thing tracks. We are well prepared and should be ok. We have water supplies, food, generator, oil lamps, camp stove, battery operated cpap(Polaris now discontinued), plenty of gasoline, everything outside put away and an emergency 'GO BAG' ready. We expect some wind damage with trees down, windows broken, and such. Flooding will be the big question. We will check the bay at the end of the road tomorrow. If it still has water in it we'll be ok. If the bay is being drained by the storm(think hurricane of '38) we may evacuate(cause I can't swim).
Strangely I'm not worried. It is what it is and we'll deal with it. As one of the people in the path of Irene I do thank you all for the good wishes and prayers.

Brenda

pap4life

Post by pap4life » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:05 am

Irene may cause one of the largest, if not the largest, economic disaster for our country. (like we really need more grief) . Real property values in the NE are some of the highest in the US and there are more high value properties in the NE then anywhere else.. Replacement and repair will cause ALL homeowner insurance to skyrocket, just like hurricane Andrew caused in 1990.

Rising gas prices just because they shut down some of the NE sea oil platforms is a sham. We get probably less then 1% from those rigs.

kempo

Post by kempo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:16 am

pap4life wrote:Irene may cause one of the largest, if not the largest, economic disaster for our country. (like we really need more grief) . Real property values in the NE are some of the highest in the US and there are more high value properties in the NE then anywhere else.. Replacement and repair will cause ALL homeowner insurance to skyrocket, just like hurricane Andrew caused in 1990.

Rising gas prices just because they shut down some of the NE sea oil platforms is a sham. We get probably less then 1% from those rigs.
It's not the oil rigs shutting down that will raise the price of gas. It's the refineries being shut down for who knows how long. So gas up now!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:18 am

Hey, ANY reason for those w/big bucks to speculate and make more big bucks. Gas is as high as it ONLY because of speculators. Just like the man-made "shortages" back in the, what?, 1970s? Or was it the 1980s?

I'm not saying that the oil supply is endless and gas should be 26 cents a gallon again - but - I am saying that speculators are THE cause of the excessive price of a gallon of gasoline.

On the other hand, we Americans are prone to excesses. The bigger the better, the more the better, etc., etc. The ONLY way "they" will ever get "us" to cut back on our energy use is to gouge us on prices.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.