AHI of 2.1 is good enough ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mrnetwurm

AHI of 2.1 is good enough ?

Post by mrnetwurm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:16 pm

My sleep study showed 16 apneas per hour average and an apnea with every single breath while in REM.

I know have a 30 days of data and my machine reports AHI of 2.1 for 30 day average.

I do feel a bit better these days. I stil like to take naps, but they are much shorter now. I seem to be
satisfied with a 30 min nap instead of 2 or 3 hours. I don't conciously feel more awake, but I seem to
be much more productive and I have taken an interest in completing tasks that have lay dormant
for a couple years.

So, is 2.1 AHI good enough or should I be tinkering to achieve better.

Jerry

SleepyT

Re: AHI of 2.1 is good enough ?

Post by SleepyT » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:24 pm

Jerry...anything under 5 is considered to be treated successfully. 2.1 is good! I usually feel better when my AHI is under 2....but really....I think you are fine. Hope you continue progress!

"Knowledge is power."

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:30 pm

You're doing great! Keep up the good work. Any AHI under 5 is considered normal and 2.1 is outstanding. There are those who tinker to get it lower, but I don't believe it's necessary.

Last edited by Mary Z on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dog is my copilot

LittleRedTruck

Post by LittleRedTruck » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:32 pm

Your doing just great You have to be obtaining benefits right now from that AHI. Im sure you'll feel even better in a short time! Dan

jabman

Post by jabman » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:35 pm

an AHI of 2.1 sounds good. I think one of the most important things is to keep the leaks (from your mask) down.

Psalm 150: 6
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing. " - Blaise Pascal.

mrnetwurm

Post by mrnetwurm » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks to all.

Overall, I am quite pleased with my progress and feel pretty comfortable with the treatment.

As suggested, mask leaks are one area where I am making progress and think I will improve
with more experience.

Jerry

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:00 am

Jerry...

I respectfully disagree with the others...and the medical industry...that says an AHI of 5.0 or below is OK. My experiments have shown me that effective therapy doesn't really occur until I'm below an AHI of 2.5.

I work very hard to stay at or below an AHI of 1.0 and I'm getting great results.

When I began my therapy, my sleep study AHI was 4.9....and they said I didn't need therapy. I knew they were full of crap....because my BP was spiking at over 200 systolic....in the middle of the night....when I experienced sleep apnea.

Because my "score" didn't go over 5.0, I had to pay for my own equipment. I learned that the "cut-off point" of 5.0 is an arbitrary opinion by the medical and insurance industry. I learned that I can't trust 'em....and i have to manage my therapy myself.

Thanks to the wonderful people on this forum, i have achieved success.

Keep on working to lower your AHI any way that you can. You'll live longer and more comfortably if you do.

Best regards,

Gerald

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:44 am

mrnetwurm wrote:My sleep study showed 16 apneas per hour average and an apnea with every single breath while in REM.

I know have a 30 days of data and my machine reports AHI of 2.1 for 30 day average.

I do feel a bit better these days. I stil like to take naps, but they are much shorter now. I seem to be
satisfied with a 30 min nap instead of 2 or 3 hours. I don't conciously feel more awake, but I seem to
be much more productive and I have taken an interest in completing tasks that have lay dormant
for a couple years.

So, is 2.1 AHI good enough or should I be tinkering to achieve better.

Jerry
I'm still struggling to achieve a consistent 5 or lower (which is considered normal), mine usually average between 3 and 10 and I only hit 5 or under once or twice in a 10 day period.

If you're 'there', I don't know that I'd keep tinkering...if you've reached the level of that of a normal person and you start tinkering, it is fully possible that you could get opposite results as well. Enjoy your 2.1 and congratulations!
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

Britishbulldog

Post by Britishbulldog » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:44 am

Hi,
I use the S9 apap machine and most nights my ahi is 0.8 for the whole night ,
Been quite a few zero nights aswell ,i would consider 2.1 to be a bad night if i had that myself although if your under 5 then your fine.

Perhaps it could be some tweeking of either pressure or try a different mask to see if you could get better ahi .

Regards,

mrnetwurm

Post by mrnetwurm » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to download my data and look at what the range of AHI is.
So far, I've only looked at the 7 day and 30 day average. Maybe there are some 10's and 0's
that are balancing the equation.

Jerry

mayondair

Post by mayondair » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:03 am

You may want to get soft wear and look at a few nights in detail. Averages are hard to go by, you may want to see if you are having clusters of VS or anything else for that matter. You r AHI may fall over the next few months as you get used to the machine and getvleaks under control. I'd have a look at some nights in detail., though 2.1 sounds good. kathy
Any landing you walk away from is a good one; if you don't break your airplane it's excellent.