apnea while napping on APAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
synonymous

apnea while napping on APAP?

Post by synonymous » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:17 am

OK...the first week to 2 weeks I was feeling much better (Rested). Tried the full-face mask, full of leaks unfortunately. Had my data analyzed at the hospital and the doctor says all is good with AHI of 0.9.

Now, after the hospital visit, I returned home and decided I needed a nap. Put on the nasal mask, started to fall asleep, was pretty sure I was asleep for a few minutes when I woke up and my entire body was frozen. It took a few seconds to get back...like pre-APAP days. So...does this happen? I thought the machine was suppose to prevent this? And as far as I felt, there was no blocking.

Does sleeping in a different position reduce the severity of apneas?

Pugsy

Re: apnea while napping on APAP?

Post by Pugsy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:23 am

synonymous wrote:Does sleeping in a different position reduce the severity of apneas?
It can reduce the severity in some people. It can reduce number and duration in some people.
Most common is supine sleeping being much more "worse" than other positions. While not everyone will be worse in a certain position, many are.

I have no idea what may have happened when you felt "frozen". Wonder if it was old fashioned sleep paralysis which often happens when falling asleep.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

So Well

Post by So Well » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:50 am

synonymous wrote:
Does sleeping in a different position reduce the severity of apneas?
Why don't you download the ResScan software and start using it? Then you can see exactly what is happening at which time.

You can do some experimenting and see if different sleeping positions have an effect on your therapy.

Now you are just asking people to make guesses. Download the software and take control of your therapy.
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

synonymous

Post by synonymous » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:33 pm

I've got the software.

All I've been able to figure out from what I see is that a fullface mask leaks but that I still have a low AHI. After the event the other day I put it in Rescan and it came up as nothing. I still don't understand how the machine works in tell what is what....

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:29 pm

I notice that when I lay on my back my machine really ramps up and when I lay on my side it calms down. there you go.