CPAP and Dog farts

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sparky223

CPAP and Dog farts

Post by Sparky223 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:57 am

Nothing like getting a blast directly to the nose. They need to make a filter for it.

LSAT

Re: CPAP and Dog farts

Post by LSAT » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:59 am

Wouldn't you have the same problem without the CPAP/mask????

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:37 am

Don't let the dog sleep under the nightstand.
I have a gargoyle by the door--the only thing Tommy fears.
He stays out of the bedroom.
When we move back to our 'real' house, the cats may have access--
I think cat fart is even worse.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:52 am

Any bad smell, including dog/cat/people gas, skunks, sewage, etc., that gets into the air makes it difficult to avoid if using a cpap/bipap/asv/ventilator. You can't plug or cover your nose to get away from it as it's in the air, then the machine and comes straight to you through the mask.

I've dealt with my fair share of that with cats, husband and open windows. There have been times it's been bad enough that I've removed the mask for a few minutes so I can breathe.

Blech.

Alshain

Post by Alshain » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:00 pm

My cats are banned from my bedroom, but not because of smells.... because one is on a diet and when 'he' thinks it's time to eat (4am) he lets me know.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:26 pm

Sparky223 wrote:Nothing like getting a blast directly to the nose. They need to make a filter for it.
I read the topic line and then immediately thought to myself "I didn't know they put dogs on CPAP!".
I'm workin' on it.

Alshain

Post by Alshain » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Hose_Head wrote:
Sparky223 wrote:Nothing like getting a blast directly to the nose. They need to make a filter for it.
I read the topic line and then immediately thought to myself "I didn't know they put dogs on CPAP!".
Oh yeah, it's newest thing. But it will leak bad if you don't make sure to get the FSM (Full Snout Mask).

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

adipasqu

Post by adipasqu » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:45 pm

I'm wondering if you could make a small charcoal filter for your PRS1. I know they sell charcoal mats (made by 3M) that are intended to be prefilters for household HVAC systems at home improvement stores. You could cut out a small sized portion (the size of the reusable foam filter) of it and replace the foam filter in the back of your unit with it. How well would it work? Who knows... Those filters are meant to absorb household odors, so it could work...

-A

Alshain

Post by Alshain » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:00 pm

adipasqu wrote:
I'm wondering if you could make a small charcoal filter for your PRS1. I know they sell charcoal mats (made by 3M) that are intended to be prefilters for household HVAC systems at home improvement stores. You could cut out a small sized portion (the size of the reusable foam filter) of it and replace the foam filter in the back of your unit with it. How well would it work? Who knows... Those filters are meant to absorb household odors, so it could work...

-A
The more you put in there, the more work it has to do to pull air into it. It's an obstruction in the airway, the machines are designed and tested with the filters they use but adding more, I'd be concerned you wouldn't get your proper pressure or even damage the motor of the machine.

adipasqu

Post by adipasqu » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:07 pm

Alshain wrote:
adipasqu wrote:

-A
The more you put in there, the more work it has to do to pull air into it. It's an obstruction in the airway, the machines are designed and tested with the filters they use but adding more, I'd be concerned you wouldn't get your proper pressure or even damage the motor of the machine.
While it is true that these are not certified for use in a CPAP (and could in theory create issues), these charcoal filter mats are more open (in terms of porosity) than the foam filters. Plus, the disposable white filters are even more restrictive. However, it was more just thinking out loud than a true suggestion.

-A

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Hose_Head wrote:
I thought the same thing, but you beat me to it!
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

Sparky223

Post by Sparky223 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:25 pm

This morning I had to take off my mask and just get up.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:53 pm

Charcoal filters have a limited lifeline. Once they've absorbed all the volatile compounds from the air they can hold, they don't do anything any more. They absorb everything in the air, not just bad smells. With 20 liters per minute or so blowing through the filter all night long, they probably wouldn't last very long before they're doing nothing at all to stop Fido's funny business.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

rholmack

Post by rholmack » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Is that a new form of aromatherapy?

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:18 pm

rholmack wrote:Is that a new form of aromatherapy?
Could be a great new way to make you get out of bed. An alarm clock with some sort of scent releasing device attached to your CPAP machine.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.