Husband newer using cpap-sinus infections-help!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
vibranthelen

Husband newer using cpap-sinus infections-help!

Post by vibranthelen » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi All,
I am posting for my husband. Both he and I are disabled. He was diagnosed with very severe sleep apnea about 5 months or so ago. He uses a full face mask. He's never had a sinus infection.

he's been to the ER in severe pain after trying to relieve sinus problems that became full blown sinus infection.After being on antibiotics he finally got relief for a week and same thing happened. Severe headache pressure etc. Today he went back to the doctor....another sinus infection....or maybe he never really got rid of the bad one he had.

He was very compliant in using the cpap right away since his sleep apnea is so severe the doctor told us he could die without it. We are positive using this has caused these infections. He rinses his mask tubing etc everyday in antibacterial solutuon and rinses well.

I am very worried about him since he has heart and lung problems and these infections can be dangerous. Can any of you give me some advice about proper cleaning, perhaps something to buy that could reduce these infections??

He cannot become this sick from sinus infections all the time. Thanks.

ameriken

Re: Husband newer using cpap-sinus infections-help!

Post by ameriken » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:28 pm

The advice given to me is to use 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts water. I stay away from antibacterial cleaners and soaps since some of them may be cancer causing (search 'triclosan'). I like it because it works, is environmentally friendly, and me-friendly.

I don't know what to say about the sinus infections or what caused them, because those can be b-stards to get rid of. If you think he's got it back definitely call the doctor again for a more powerful antibiotic. My wife has trouble with sinus infections and is using a neti pot to keep her nasal passages clean.

I'm sure some better advice will come along. I am glad to hear of your commitment to CPAP therapy. Good luck!
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:49 pm

Cpap therapy does not CAUSE sinus infections. Bacteria or viruses do and they do not come from the cpap machine. All you need to clean the equipment is vinegar. Antibacterial soaps just create stronger bacteria.

When the sinus infections happen try to increase the humidity and get proper antibiotics and use them as directed.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:00 pm

you can also try a neti pot... usually pick the stuff up in a pharmacy, basically it's a sinus rinse with saline (a diluted form). Sometimes that'll work to help get rid of the sinus infection.

rholmack

Post by rholmack » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:49 pm

I feel his pain...I have constant sinus problems. I use a neti bottle. I prefer to use a little pressure to pump the water through my sinuses. Also try using only distilled water. I use the anti-bacterial solutions to clean out my humidifier once a week. Remember to clean out the hose once a week too. Hope he gets better.

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:36 pm

There is one way Cpap might be causing the infections; not necessarily by introducing bacteria but by interfering with the nose's natural mechanism for coping with bacteria, molds and other microcritters. Cpap can irritate the nasal membranes and cause inflamation, especially at first, before the person finds the right amount of humidity and gets use to the pressurized air flow. This inflamation might, in some cases, cause the sinus openings to swell shut. As my ENT explained it, there is always bacteria and sometimes mode spores getting into sinuses; and if the sinuses stop draining, you will get sinus infections.

Something like this was happening to me. Disinfecting hoses didn't make any difference. Antibiotics were of limited help--worked a bit at first, then the infections would come back. While I tried a variety of things, I am convinced it's the several-times-a-day sinus rinses that finally did the trick. BTW, both my ENT and sleep doctor were highly in favor of the sinus rinses. These days I rarely clean my hoses; but, I am generally (knock on wood) free of sinus infections. I do one maintenance rinse in the evening--more when I am battling a cold. For me, at least, it really does help.

I use a squeeze bottle that comes with the Neilmed kits; but, a better way might be the Grossan nasal irrigator (?) that I see advertised.