Nasal pillows & stuffy nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CinnyAnn

Nasal pillows & stuffy nose

Post by CinnyAnn » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:57 am

My son just started using c-pap about a months ago. I don't know the name but he uses the nasal pillows. What do you do if you have a cold and your nose is stuffy. Should he have a full face mask on hand for something like this. He is also having issues with the inside tip of his nose getting sore. What can he do for that. Also, to go from pillows to full face your pressure should be the same, right??? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

Pugsy

Re: Nasal pillows & stuffy nose

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:27 am

Pressure should stay the same with using nasal pillows or full face mask.

Regarding tenderness at nostril area. It is common. Try using a bit of Lansinoh ointment found in the baby aisle at Walmart. It is used by nursing mothers to help with nipple soreness. Also consider loosening the strap a wee bit as often people tend to tighten this mask more than it needs to be. Also consider trying a different size nasal pillow.

With regards to colds.. I have had a couple since I started therapy. I use nasal pillow mask only. I was able to use oral decongestants and a bit of nose spray and breathe just fine. I just cranked up the humidity and slept about as well as to be expected with a cold. Each person will vary. Full face mask is surely indicated if the nasal passages cannot be opened but often they can. Up to the individual if they want to work on getting the nose open or just use full face mask. I don't do well with full face masks so I have opted to keep the nose open. I have not missed a night using cpap because any colds or congestion. Many users do have a full face mask on standby just in case it is needed.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Lea_T

Post by Lea_T » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 am

Pugsy wrote:I was able to use oral decongestants and a bit of nose spray and breathe just fine. I just cranked up the humidity and slept about as well as to be expected with a cold.
Pugsy, what oral decongestants do you find work best for you? I have a mild cold but it doesn't take much to stop up my nose. I've used Afrin for the past 3 nights so I probably need to take a break from it tonight. I tried a 12-hr Sudafed one night but it didn't seem to help much and I ended up using Afrin too.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:52 am

Lea_T wrote: Pugsy, what oral decongestants do you find work best for you? I have a mild cold but it doesn't take much to stop up my nose. I've used Afrin for the past 3 nights so I probably need to take a break from it tonight. I tried a 12-hr Sudafed one night but it didn't seem to help much and I ended up using Afrin too.
I guess I am lucky but plain ordinary Sudafed works well for me. So does that nasty tasting green Nyquil.

Some people get some good relief from nasal rinses but I have never wanted to try it or had congestion I could not control with my usual OTC stuff.

Dimetapp always worked well for me too. Never had much luck with the allergy relieving meds like Zyrtec or Allegra.
Claritin and Claritin D seems to also work well. Good old fashioned steam always helped me and I think cranking up the humidifier mimics steam enough to help.

Each OTC cold med may have a slightly different formula and work differently so a person has to figure out which works for them.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

CinnyAnn

Post by CinnyAnn » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks for the info, Pugsy.

FizzyWater

Post by FizzyWater » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:09 pm

I also have a problem with nasal congestion and using my nasal pillows mask. I have a nasal mask that isn't very comfortable that was my original mask before I got the nasal mask. I try switching between them when I'm feeling congested.

The only OTC drug that works well for my congestion is the original Sudafed (or generic) - the one you need to get from behind the pharmacy counter. The problem is, it also increases my blood pressure and makes it harder for me to fall asleep. So take the drug and don't sleep, or take the drug and...don't sleep.

My DME told me I'm supposed to replace my mask every 3 months (which seems excessive). I'm trying to confirm that with my insurance company first, because their policy on DME is not that specific and I don't want to get burned. But I want to try a different nasal mask, or even a full face mask, when it's time to replace the mask to see if I can get some improvement on the congested days.

Began CPAP therapy 3/22/2011.

Some days, I guess there just aren't enough rocks -- Forrest Gump