About to join the club

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bradbelote

About to join the club

Post by bradbelote » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:53 pm

I had a sleep study (no CPAP) two weeks ago. Today I learned the doctor has diagnosed me with mild sleep apnea. so I'll be going in for a CPAP study in the near future.

I've found this outpost on the net. It seems to be a very informative and welcoming community. I hope you all can help answer some questions I have before joining this club:

1) Are all CPAPs generally the same?
2) does it pay to shop around among DMEs?
3) What should I ask the medical professionals NOW that I wouldn't think to ask?

Thanks.

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:07 pm

First welcome to the forum and I know you will find us all quite friendly and helpful.
Each CPAP is different and most of us have opted for the APAP. Each one has there own type of data. You can do research on the forum, or click on the blue APAP and CPAP at the bottom of my message.

I hope I have helped you.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

LDuyer

Re: About to join the club

Post by LDuyer » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:57 pm

bradbelote wrote:I had a sleep study (no CPAP) two weeks ago. Today I learned the doctor has diagnosed me with mild sleep apnea. so I'll be going in for a CPAP study in the near future.

I've found this outpost on the net. It seems to be a very informative and welcoming community. I hope you all can help answer some questions I have before joining this club:

3) What should I ask the medical professionals NOW that I wouldn't think to ask?

Thanks.

Item 1 --- Be prepared for lots of responses to that one! There's the straight cpap, the auto cpap, the bipap, not to mention a host of different brands. And there will be favorites mentioned here. The bipap is prescribed for specific needs. But the cpap and auto cpap are the prevelant ones. Many enjoy the auto, although some cannot use it, but the auto also has the straight cpap capability. As to brands, I do not really know. But it is good you should be asking.

Item 2 --- Yes it pays to shop around, whether it's at an online DME or a local DME. Whether local or online depends on type of insurance for some, but it's based also on preference for many. And there are big price differences. It does pay to shop around -- and not just for cost but for service as well. As with anything else, you need to be a good consumer.

Item 2 --- I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions. I always urge people to get a copy of the sleep study report because it gives you lots of information that might not sink in right away. The doctor writes the prescription for the machine, and often we don't get to see that prescription. Some have suggested that you obtain a copy of it for your files or possible future use. Primarily the cpap is what is prescribed. But some prescriptions add things such as a heated humidifier, so it is covered by insurance, even though a prescription isn't required to purchase one at the DMEs. Ask the doc lots of questions. If he specifies a need for a bipap, ask why. The bipap now has an auto. You might ask about these. You may already know about them from your research, but it might be good to see their feedback. Some docs don't care for autos, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get one. And ask how the process works, including your insurance. And if insurance is confusing, you might contact them to see what they cover and what they don't, in terms of what type of machine. Insurance companies have a policy of how often they will pay for a new mask, some every 30 days, others 60 days.

Good luck. It's smart you are asking questions.

Linda

Darth Vader Look

Post by Darth Vader Look » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:39 pm

LDuyer writes
Insurance companies have a policy of how often they will pay for a new mask, some every 30 days, others 60 days.
I'm thinking that you meant every 3 months or as much as 6 months. If not please let me know which insurance company covers you.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:06 pm

The best advice I could give a newcomer is to start reading all the posts, page 1 to however far in your mind can stand. Most posts are very informative and can help you prepare for Life with XPAP. The ideas can save you money and make life easier.

I found this forum after I got started, had I found it sooner I would have made changes in the equiptment, I was lucky and got a good CPAP, but to do it over I would have forced them into the same brand APAP.

As a general statement most Dr. and DME's don't have your best interests at heart, you need to prepare to take charge of your health, by reading up on our problem we have a better chance of the best care at the best price.

You are in the right place! Jim

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Darth Vader Look

Post by Darth Vader Look » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:15 pm

Bradbelote writes:
1) In function yes but understand that there are fundamental differences. For example, CPAP is one pressure level solely based on your titrated value (your measured value during your sleep study). An auto or APAP varies over a range, usually 1 to 2 cm H2O below your titrated value up to 3 or 4 above your titrated value. Realize that an APAP can be set up to run as a CPAP should you decide that. A BiPAP or BPAP for Respironics equipment users (VPAP for Resmed equipment users) is usually used for those with high titrated values (usually around 15 cm H2O). The BPAP has an inhalation value (your titrated value) and a much lower exhalation value (usually at least 4 cm of H2O lower than your titrated value). They have come out with an auto or ABPAP now. In your case the CPAP and APAP would be the units in contention.

2) Depends on where you are located. In Ontario, Canada the so called DME's have to be registered with the Assistive Devices Program and you have to go through one of these in order to get some funding, your choice on which one. In the states some insurance companies tell you what DME they will pay so you may be stuck but if they are open to others then the answer would be yes, shop around. If you can buy from an internet supplier like cpap.com then I would consider that route.

3) Ask the doctor to specify a heated humidifier, an APAP, a specific time span to have a mask change (some get them every 3 months while others get them only twice a year. I would suspect that once every 4 months would be acceptable. As LDuyer also stated, get a copy of both your sleep studies and the prescription. Read up on posts that go at least 6 months back that you feel will have an impact on your decision (ie. mask types, PAP types, how to handle the first few days, etc.).

Come back and share your experience on line and any difficulties that you have had so that someone here who has been through same may be able to supply you with a solution. I go back tomorrow morning to my sleep doctor to demand.....well nicely request an APAP and I have a half dozen reasons as to why. Good luck and remember that membership is just a snore away.

sleepylady

Post by sleepylady » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:12 am

Hi Bradbelote and welcome to the club. These are wonderful questions. I wish I had started my research before I went and got my machine in the beginning. It would have saved a lot of headache.

1. As people have said, there are many types of CPAP's. NOW if you want an APAP or as DME's say an Auto CPAP then your doctor has to write that on your prescription. IF it is written as CPAP then that's what you are going to get. DME's don't even like to mention that they have APAP's. The reason being that if you have insurance it will normally view an APAP just like it views a CPAP and pay out the same amount. In other words, DME's make more money on straight CPAPs than APAPs. Something you want to remember. Now some doctors are resistant to APAP's so if this is what you want you will need a very good argument to get it. I have an absolutely awesome doctor and after using CPAP for two monthes just called and left a message that I needed a new script for an APAP. I listed the reasons why and two days later had a call from my DME that they got my new script. If you doctor still seems resistant after your reasoning say well I can put an APAP in CPAP mode.

2. Yes it pays to shop around. Not all DME's carry the same brands. My DME carries only ResMed and they say some Puritan Bennett machines. I have had a horrid time trying to get an P&B 420e APAP from them. They keep steering me toward the ResMed Apap. In other words, after your research on machines be sure the DME you choose carries the products in stock.

Now as to DME's and doctors, I've found DME's are in it for the $$$$$$. My doc has been awesome, so I'm one of the lucky ones.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Melinda

bradbelote

Thanks

Post by bradbelote » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:04 am

Thanks for the help..

One of the responses said I need to ask for an APAP if I want one... how will I know if I want one?

Goofproof

Re: Thanks

Post by Goofproof » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:41 am

[quote="bradbelote"]Thanks for the help..

One of the responses said I need to ask for an APAP if I want one... how will I know if I want one?

Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

NightHawkeye

You want an APAP

Post by NightHawkeye » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:51 am

You want one. There's not that much difference in price and it gives you options. (You'll likely kick yourself later if you don't get one.) As already pointed out, you can always use it in straight CPAP mode if you want.

Just asking the questions you have shows that you are inquisitive. You'll adjust your machine to get the best results. Having an APAP with software (such as the Respironics machines with Encore Pro) will allow you to monitor the effectiveness of your therapy and help you make adjustments to maximize your results. It's just your health you're considering here. Get the most benefit you can. Even buying the machine out-of-pocket is cheap considering the benefits.

Regards,
Bill