Which ResMed nasal mask for CPAP - Need opinon

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
romeroom

Which ResMed nasal mask for CPAP - Need opinon

Post by romeroom » Mon May 30, 2011 7:10 am

Hello,

I'm at about one week CPAP user. Tried the pillows; No good. I have an ResMed S9 Elite machine.

So I've been looking at the ResMed Nasal masks and would like an opinion from users. Thanks.

Omar

LSAT

Re: Which ResMed nasal mask for CPAP - Need opinon

Post by LSAT » Mon May 30, 2011 7:31 am

It's a VERY individual thing. Everyone has their favorite . It's like asking 'what is the best car?'

WhoDatSleeping

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Mon May 30, 2011 7:59 am

I agree with LSAT in that the type of mask one prefers is a very individual thing. With that being said, I use the Activa LT and it is a very good, solid mask. I will be trying the Mirage FX next but so far the Activa LT is my fav.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Mon May 30, 2011 9:05 am

Best car - BMW, of course.

Best mask - Swift FX

Your mileage may vary...

romeroom

Post by romeroom » Mon May 30, 2011 11:19 am

First of all, a big thanks for such a prompt response from this forum. I appreciate the individuality you're trying to promote. I value each of your perspectives. (BTW HoseCrusher, I tried the various pillow sizes, and we finally concluded that my nostrils (snares?) are too small.) I tried a very basic Respironics nasal and tomorrow I will go back in ready to make some demands. I'd like to stay with ResMed products unless some of you more experienced CPAPers have an absolute, "gotta have" non-ResMed product to recommend. My main criteria will included: (1) Easy put on, clip-on with minimal nightly adjustment, and (2) Leak prevention since I tend to move around when I sleep. (The basic, "dollar store" Respironics that I have takes forever to adjust--every night!! Don't mean to offend any Respironics groupies out there; I'm sure Respironics has equally comparable, quality products compared to ResMed).

So far, based on your brief opinions and my research, I'm going to ask about the following ResMed products:

1. Mirage FX
2. Mirage Activa LT
3. Mirage Vista
4. Ultra Mirage II

Now, since I'm a newbie at this, I really would appreciate the opinion of those of you who have used any of the above for. If you can comment on my main criteria listed above in relation to your experience, fantastic.

As it relates to my failed pillows attempt, I suspect you pillows users have an opinion of your own, and having "small nostrils" may not be an acceptable excuse for you guys. I tried the ResMed Swift-LT. Could not get it to secure around my nostrils without making it too tight and increasing the discomfort I experienced in the morning.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Mon May 30, 2011 11:26 am

EasyLife by Respironics is also a good option for nasal mask - easy to adjust, slightly a pain to take apart to clean but otherwise I found it extremely comfortable

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/easyli ... -pack.html

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Mon May 30, 2011 11:35 am

Romeroom, bummer. The Swift FX is a wonderful mask, IF you can get it to fit.

There are others so I am sure you will come up with a perfect fit for you.

romeroom

Post by romeroom » Mon May 30, 2011 11:47 am

dtsm wrote:EasyLife by Respironics is also a good option for nasal mask - easy to adjust, slightly a pain to take apart to clean but otherwise I found it extremely comfortable

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/easyli ... -pack.html
The EasyLife does look like a lot more secure than what I got at the "dollar store." Yet I see those Velcro straps at least two of which need to be "un-done" for positioning and removal each night. My wife goes to sleep before I do, and I'm afraid of waking her with the shrill of Velcro. I suspect the masks with straps that adjust once and only need to be clicked on have their own drawbacks.

Thanks for the suggestion.

romeroom

Post by romeroom » Mon May 30, 2011 11:48 am

tst29m wrote:To get an idea of what's out there, go to http://www.freecpapadvice.com/.
Thanks!!! What a great web site!!

snuginarug

Post by snuginarug » Mon May 30, 2011 11:54 pm

romeroom wrote:(1) Easy put on, clip-on with minimal nightly adjustment, and (2) Leak prevention since I tend to move around when I sleep.
I use the Resmed Mirage nasal Softgel, and it fits those two requirements to my satisfaction. During the summer, when the warm air softens up the softgel, i practically don't need headgear. The double seal really works well for me. I too was not able to use pillows due to nare shape... too long and narrow in my case.

trytryagain

Post by trytryagain » Tue May 31, 2011 4:57 am

I've used the Mirage Softgel and the Activa LT (same frame) and like them both. The Activa is lighter but I get a better seal from the Softgel. I've also been trying out the new Mirage FX. That one it the smallest, lightest and most comfortable, best headgear, but I'm really having trouble with leaks.

robysue

Post by robysue » Tue May 31, 2011 6:32 am

romeroom wrote: As it relates to my failed pillows attempt, I suspect you pillows users have an opinion of your own, and having "small nostrils" may not be an acceptable excuse for you guys. I tried the ResMed Swift-LT. Could not get it to secure around my nostrils without making it too tight and increasing the discomfort I experienced in the morning.
Is the Swift LT the only pillows mask you've tried? Reason I ask is that I absolutely could NOT stand that mask on my face for even 5 minutes, but the Swift FX is comfortable for me and I've been using it now 8 months as a somewhat active side sleeper. It has to do with the L-shaped part of the LT's frame, which just did NOT work with my high cheekbones and somewhat hollow cheeks. The L-shaped part caused the LT to "rock" back and forth on my cheeks and, yes, that meant the mask had to be tightened much more so that either the Swift FX or the Opus 360. And please understand: My comment about the LT is not meant as a slam against it---there are plenty of folks who strongly prefer the LT because of those L-shaped parts of the frame since they add stability to the mask.

As for the size of your nostrils being too small for pillows: The "For Her" versions of the LT and FX both have XS pillows. So if you decide to give the pillows another shot, see if the DME is willing to swap out the L pillows for a set of XS pillows for you.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Tue May 31, 2011 7:46 am

I too have very small nares - small enough that the girls at the DME store I go to comment every time I'm there. My fav mask is the Swift FX for Her - now I'm sure you wouldn't want a pink mask, however you could ask to try the XS pillows with a regular Swift FX or a Swift LT.

Although I use S or XS pillows, there are times when my allergies are at their worst and I comfortably use Medium pillows which keep my nasal passages open a lot better than the smaller sizes.

Btw - the pillows aren't meant to go inside your nose, they just rest on the outside.

Cheers,
xena

romeroom

Post by romeroom » Tue May 31, 2011 8:41 am

Just picked up the Mirage FX and will be trying it out tonight. I'll report back.

Thanks for all the support.