Made a mess of installing Rescan. Help!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mask2fit

Made a mess of installing Rescan. Help!

Post by Mask2fit » Tue May 03, 2011 5:40 am

I installed v3.12 and stupidly ticked all the boxes for driver installation. As it got to the point of installing them I cancelled their installation and continued to the finish off the main installation. When I tried running Rescan itself I got the error message Rescan.exe "Pure Virtual Function called" and an OK button. When I clicked on that I got a error sound and Rescan stopped loading and disapeared. I restarted the computer. I tried uninstalling, removing all the directories and tried to find all the refernces to Rescan in the registry. I restarted my computer and tried installing v 3.14. Unfortunately it is still giving me the same result. Can anyone help with this?

archangle

Re: Made a mess of installing Rescan. Help!

Post by archangle » Tue May 03, 2011 10:18 am

What version of Windows?

Have you looked to see if you have an automatic "system restore" point at an appropriate time to restore your machine back to that condition? Are you familiar with "system restore?"

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Breathe Jimbo

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Tue May 03, 2011 10:25 am

Control Panel -> Backup and Restore Center

Pick a restore point before the problematic installation.

Mask2fit

Post by Mask2fit » Wed May 04, 2011 3:33 am

Yes but for some reason my system restore doesnt work, although I have emptied the restore points from time to time

Mask2fit

Post by Mask2fit » Fri May 06, 2011 3:35 am

...Bump...

Please someone else give some suggestions.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Fri May 06, 2011 4:57 pm

uninstall, then install again.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Fri May 06, 2011 9:37 pm

hobbs wrote:uninstall, then install again.
Mask2fit, if that doesn't work then download, install, and run CCleaner. It'll help find and clean out orphan DLLs and registry entries that are probably giving you fits.

Mask2fit

Post by Mask2fit » Wed May 18, 2011 12:23 am

i have uninstalled again, I have used Ccleaner, I have gone through the Registry again and still the same thing. It apparently installs OK. But Critical stop sound when loading and get the error message Pure virtual function called.

The trouble is, I dont know where the drivers are or what they are called.

The version 3.14 that I have downloaded is not corrupt as I have installed it on my netbook. Trouble is I cant really use it there as screen is to small.

Post by Guest » Wed May 18, 2011 3:59 am

try a reinstall then uninstall with revo uninstaller revo will use the prog uninstall then when thats finished it will give you the option to search for any leftover entrys

Mask2fit

Post by Mask2fit » Wed May 18, 2011 4:06 am

Would it be better to reinstall and ask it to install the drivers this time? Actually does it do any harm to install it with the drivers even if you are not going to use them?

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Wed May 18, 2011 9:09 am

Mask2fit wrote:Would it be better to reinstall and ask it to install the drivers this time? Actually does it do any harm to install it with the drivers even if you are not going to use them?
It might, and then do an uninstall again. I'm thinking that if you do that it will install the drivers over the top of the remnants from before, and create the log info needed for a good uninstall. That might clean things up. If that doesn't do it, then you must have some other program that is conflicting. Finding what that is can be very problematic. Installing the unneeded drivers, based on many comments, causes Resscan to look for card drives that aren't there and it then throws a fit.

How computer proficient are you? Do you have the knowledge and tools to create another partition on your hard drive and install a second copy of windows? You can then install Resscan on the other partition without any other programs. If it runs then that tells you pretty clearly you have a program conflict. The other approach is to backup all your data and do a complete clean reinstall of Windows, then install Resscan first. Then add every other program one by one until you find the one that is conflicting. You also have the possibility that installing Resscan before the other conflicting program, whichever it is, will avoid the conflicts.

russellms76

Post by russellms76 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Exactly what error is being displayed? Can you type it or post a picture of the error? You might also try installing in Safe Mode.

Mask2fit

Post by Mask2fit » Wed May 18, 2011 11:35 pm

Error message as in my first post
Rescan.exe "Pure Virtual Function called" and an OK button.
It was in its own liitle box with the Rescan.exe on the title bar. It was accompanied by a Critical Stop alarm.

I have saved a picture of the screen image but I dont know how to post a picture here.

After clicking on the OK button, both the rescan and the rescan.exe screen disappear. However in Task Manager I see that devicescan2.exe is still running as a process. This is a Rescan file that resides in C:\Program Files\ResMed\CDI. I can end that process manually in Task Manager

I can certainly try installing in safe mode after I have gone through all the cleaning up again.

Just as another piece of information, I have just thought of looking through the files in my latest installation and In C:\Program Files\ResMed\ResScan3\Drivers\ResMed USB Adapter there is a pdf file that says the following
"The driver can only be uninstalled via the PC Device Manager. To uninstall the
driver:
1. Right click over My Computer and select Properties.
2. Select the Hardware tab.
3. Select Device Manager.
4. Expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers".
5. Right click over ResMed USB Adapter.
6. Select Uninstall."

So I took a look and there was no Resmed USB adaptor listed or any other Resmed device in my hardware list

russellms76

Post by russellms76 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:24 pm

This is a tough one.

Another option would be to complete another install with all adapter options. Reboot, then complete an uninstall from the control panel. After that, remove all folders under the Program Files folder that are labled ResMed or ResScan. Delete eveything in the \windows\temp folder.

Depending upon how comfortable you are with regedit, you could backup the registry, then search and remove all entries for ResMed and ResScan. Rename your ResScan.exe install software first so that it doesn't mess with that. Keep it an exe file though.

Post results & good luck.

barnfish

Post by barnfish » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:28 pm

I just ran into this error ("pure virtual function call"), with a fresh install of ResScan 5.1.0.8731 on Windows 7. This worked for me:

Right-click the ResScan shortcut, select Properties, and on the "Compatibility" tab, select Windows XP (Service Pack 3) Compatibility mode, then click OK.

I found this thread googling for this issue, so I thought I'd post this here in case someone else does the same.