I can't even get the meter set up! Any help?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
FilmCriticOne

I can't even get the meter set up! Any help?

Post by FilmCriticOne » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:03 pm

I had a CHOICEMMED OxyWatch W11SM from Walmart ($229) and try as I might, I can't get it set up -- the time and date.

Plus, it gives wild readings -- according to it, my pulse goes from 70 to 140 frequently, though I feel exactly the same, and take my pulse by my fingers, and it's 70.

Maybe I have just a bad unit, and will get another. But how the heck to you set the time and date -- and do any of you use this unit regularly?

I've had three overnight oximeters so far -- the "cheap ones" and they seem to be flaky in operation. But this one, the CHOICEMMED OxyWatch W11SM , I can't even get set up, and I've emailed their tech support to no avail.

I just don't know where else to turn. Any help appreciated -- my email is mybookwork at yahoo.com

Thanks.

archangle

Re: I can't even get the meter set up! Any help?

Post by archangle » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:35 pm

I think that getting good oxygen readings or even fingertip pulse readings is a finicky process. It's a fairly new technology that has only become possible with newer electronics. It's not too surprising that it doesn't work right sometimes.

I used to have problems getting any automatic blood pressure tester to work for similar reasons, but they've gotten better recently.

However, maybe you have a circulation problem in your fingers.

I wonder what would happen if you clip the sensor onto your earlobe, lip, etc. Probably not a good way to get readings, but it might give you an idea of if it's working.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:45 pm

archangle wrote:[snip]
I wonder what would happen if you clip the sensor onto your earlobe, lip, etc. Probably not a good way to get readings, but it might give you an idea of if it's working.
In some quarters a pulse oximeter dangling from an earlobe or a lip, or "etc." might be a fashion statement.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:01 pm

I can't help w/the oximeter you have - but you might want to consider giving up on Walgreen's, Wal-Mart, etc. and try buying one of the ConTec CMS recording oximeters from kevin cooper's website. You get excellent support from him and the ConTec CMSs all seem to work pretty good, are FDA approved and if there is a problem kevin seems to be on top of straightening things out up to and including replacing a unit if necessary.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:51 pm

If its a clip on type try taping the lead further down on the finger to keep it from shifting.

Its fairly normal to see sudden pulse variations if you exert yourself like moving or standing up. Its not that you actually had that large an increase in heart rate but the extra blood pressure from a slight exertion blots out the pulses or hashes them temporarily. A really good one won't be fooled but some will be. I tried wearing mine while hiking and it was showing some wild variations which seemed to correlate with my footsteps. So, I infer that the blood pressure variations from stomping or moving can fool these devices. If you are sleeping, this should not be such a problem.

90% EPAP=7.0, Avg PS=4.0, Avg bpm 18.3, Avg Min vent 9.2 Lpm, Avg CA/OA/H/AHI = 0.1/0.1/2.1/2.3 ... updated 02/17/12