Terrible sore throat since, few weeks into cpap use

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bikesandbridges

Terrible sore throat since, few weeks into cpap use

Post by bikesandbridges » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi,

I recently got my cpap (about a month ago) and lately I've been having issues waking up with terrible sore throats. My first idea was that I wasn't properly cleaning out the tube/mask/tank/filter so I started to be much more militant about that yet the problem still persists.

Some things that are probably pertinent. The machine is a Philips Respironics Ds550s, and the mask is Mirage Quattro. My unit has the humidifier which i have been using, with distilled water.

Any help would be welcomed because I am getting tired of constant sore throats.

robysue

Re: Terrible sore throat since, few weeks into cpap use

Post by robysue » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:39 am

Can you clarify exactly which PR System One you have? Is it the System One Plus or the System One Pro? It makes a difference. Also if you would take the time to go to the User Control Panel in the upper left corner of the screen you can (and should) enter your equipment so that it appears as part of your signature. Text is much better than icons since all System One's look alike.

Next, are you using the humidifier? If so, what setting are you using? Are you using the humidifier in its normal mode or classic mode?

Normal mode is designed to prevent rainout by adjusting how much heat is provided in order to maintain a more or less constant relative humidity. Classic mode uses a constant level of heat and hence may provide more humidity overall at the same setting. Which is better is solely a matter of figuring out which one your particular nose prefers.

Other things to also consider:

The sore throats could be related to GERD or so-called silent GERD. A fair number of CPAPers also have issues with GERD. Usually the combo of GERD + CPAP = aeropagia, but GERD by itself can result in a frequent sore-throat like feeling of a burning throat. You might want to google GERD, read through its symptoms and start using the self help tips for GERD and consider asking your doctor (PCP) about whether GERD might be causing the problems you are having.

Seasonal allergies in particular and nasal congestion in general can cause sore throat symptoms. If you have allergies, you may need to treat them more aggressively in the past now that you're on CPAP. At least that's what I'm finding this spring. If the problem is nasal congestion that doesn't appear to be related to anything, you need to consider playing around with the humidity setting. Try turning it DOWN as well as UP since both too MUCH and too LITTLE humidity can cause nasal congestion.

Finally, consider calling your PCP. You may have something else going on that would respond to treatment. Or you may need a referral to an ENT.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:50 am

If your mouth is coming open, you can end up with a lot of air blowing through your nose and mouth, which will dry you out, even with a humidifier. Is it "dry mouth/throat" type of irritation? Does drinking water help? You might try a chin strap to keep your mouth closed. Some people even tape their mouths closed at night.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:15 am

bikesandbridges wrote:Philips Respironics Ds550s
This points to PR System One APAP
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/respi ... -flex.html

Please confirm.

You can check for on screen data by going to clinician menu to see AHI averages and settings.
http://www.apneaboard.com/PR-System-One ... -Setup.htm

There is software available for fully data capable machines to help you monitor therapy effectiveness. Those on screen averages are sorely inadequate.

Dry mouth or sore throat can occur using a full face mask too. Can you breathe through your nose at all? If you can adding a chin strap under the full face mask may help keep mouth closed and decrease the sore throat and dry mouth.
Using the software you can see if therapy is adequate or see if you are breathing through your mouth in effort to obtain more air due to events.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bikesandbridges

Post by bikesandbridges » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:19 am

robysue wrote:Can you clarify exactly which PR System One you have? Is it the System One Plus or the System One Pro? It makes a difference. Also if you would take the time to go to the User Control Panel in the upper left corner of the screen you can (and should) enter your equipment so that it appears as part of your signature. Text is much better than icons since all System One's look alike.
I edited my signature to include my proper equipment. I hope this helps
robysue wrote: Next, are you using the humidifier? If so, what setting are you using? Are you using the humidifier in its normal mode or classic mode?

Normal mode is designed to prevent rainout by adjusting how much heat is provided in order to maintain a more or less constant relative humidity. Classic mode uses a constant level of heat and hence may provide more humidity overall at the same setting. Which is better is solely a matter of figuring out which one your particular nose prefers.
Yes I am using the humidifier and had been using it at a setting of 3 (out of 5). Last night I moved it down to 1 thinking it might be the culprit for my throat.

As far as normal vs. classic, I am not sure. I checked the settings and the only thing I see is 'SYSTEM ONE humidification' which is set to on
robysue wrote: Other things to also consider:

The sore throats could be related to GERD or so-called silent GERD. A fair number of CPAPers also have issues with GERD. Usually the combo of GERD + CPAP = aeropagia, but GERD by itself can result in a frequent sore-throat like feeling of a burning throat. You might want to google GERD, read through its symptoms and start using the self help tips for GERD and consider asking your doctor (PCP) about whether GERD might be causing the problems you are having.

I will start to read up on GERD. My one thing that initially makes me think this isnt the case, is the fact that I am extremely congested which makes me think its a humidity or mouth breathing issue.
robysue wrote:Seasonal allergies in particular and nasal congestion in general can cause sore throat symptoms. If you have allergies, you may need to treat them more aggressively in the past now that you're on CPAP. At least that's what I'm finding this spring. If the problem is nasal congestion that doesn't appear to be related to anything, you need to consider playing around with the humidity setting. Try turning it DOWN as well as UP since both too MUCH and too LITTLE humidity can cause nasal congestion.

Finally, consider calling your PCP. You may have something else going on that would respond to treatment. Or you may need a referral to an ENT.
I typically have moderate to severe seasonal allergies and haven't began treating them for the season. I will start taking my season allergy medication and see if that helps any.

bikesandbridges

Post by bikesandbridges » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:22 am

archangle wrote:If your mouth is coming open, you can end up with a lot of air blowing through your nose and mouth, which will dry you out, even with a humidifier. Is it "dry mouth/throat" type of irritation? Does drinking water help? You might try a chin strap to keep your mouth closed. Some people even tape their mouths closed at night.
I am typically a really bad mouth breather. This is why they told me to go with a full face in the first place. It also might be the reason for my sore throats.

bikesandbridges

Post by bikesandbridges » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:24 am

Pugsy wrote:
bikesandbridges wrote:
There is software available for fully data capable machines to help you monitor therapy effectiveness. Those on screen averages are sorely inadequate.

Dry mouth or sore throat can occur using a full face mask too. Can you breathe through your nose at all? If you can adding a chin strap under the full face mask may help keep mouth closed and decrease the sore throat and dry mouth.
Using the software you can see if therapy is adequate or see if you are breathing through your mouth in effort to obtain more air due to events.
I just found out about that software yesterday and have been looking around to 'acquire' it. I am a 23 year old college student and unfortunately, even at 99 dollars Id need to give up eating for a week to buy it

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:39 am

Don't want you to starve. Check your Private Message box for some ideas. Windows based software. If you use a Mac or other OS will need to figure out work around.
bikesandbridges wrote:I am a 23 year old college student and unfortunately, even at 99 dollars Id need to give up eating for a week to buy it

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bikesandbridges

Post by bikesandbridges » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:20 am

Will posting up my Encore therapy data be helpful?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:26 am

bikesandbridges wrote:Will posting up my Encore therapy data be helpful?
Could be helpful, especially if you don't have a full understanding of what it might be showing. There is a pretty steep learning curve with all this new sleep apnea stuff. Instructions for posting report viewing below.

How to insert image/report

Open the image to full size so it is easily read.
I use Vista snipping tool to create a screen shot and crop the image at the same time.
Prt/scr key will also take a screen shot if using XP. If laptop is used sometimes the Fn key has to be pushed at the same time as the prt/scr key
I think windows 7 has the snipping tool.
Once the screen shot is created save it in jpg format.
Upload the image to a host site. I use Photobucket it is free, there are others.
Once the image is uploaded then copy the ENTIRE IMG address. Be sure to include the opening and closing IMG in brackets. Paste that copied address into a post here.
Use the preview button. If you can't see the image try again because if you can't see it we can't.

To take a screenshot on the Mac, hold CMD+SHIFT+4

Click and hold on the upper-left corner of the area you want to capture
Drag to the lower-right corner and release

The screenshot will show up on your desktop.

DavidClaxton

Post by DavidClaxton » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:33 am

I had issues with my throat SWELLING after the first few months of using my full face. For me it came down to not properly cleaning my mask and hose. I was cleaning them but not killing the germs completely according to my doc.
Once I started being more careful it went away and I have not had the issue in awhile

bikesandbridges

Post by bikesandbridges » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:25 pm

bikesandbridges

Post by bikesandbridges » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:26 pm

DavidClaxton wrote:I had issues with my throat SWELLING after the first few months of using my full face. For me it came down to not properly cleaning my mask and hose. I was cleaning them but not killing the germs completely according to my doc.
Once I started being more careful it went away and I have not had the issue in awhile
What is the run down of your cleaning process? Maybe I am going too easy in that department

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Can you post the detailed data page from last night? Summary page that you posted just tells me that I saw that you either blew off using the machine over weekend in middle of March or the card wasn't inserted all the way. I am betting 24 yr old college student blew off using the machine

Don't know how to get detailed graphs? At the therapy tab in software choose "detailed" before viewing reports. Software defaults to summary data because this software was designed for doctors office, etc and all they normally care about is how much you use the machine.

Cleaning? Lots of opinions about it but unless you have other health issues that might compromise immune system, general cleaning is more than adequate. I don't see a need to wash the long hose because it doesn't get dirty inside. If there is moisture from condensation, I just hang it up and let it dry out the best it can.
Humidifier? I rarely clean it but for most a quick rinse and air dry once a week is more than sufficient.
Mask? Depends on mask and how much you drool....or whatever. Normal skin oils...Etc. I use nasal pillow type of mask and wash the pillows every 3 or 4 days. If I had a cold or something then wash more often. Some wash daily.
It is a matter of personal preference. Some people notice that the seal is affected my body oil, especially full face masks that have more surface to deal with and wipe down the surface daily to prevent oils from allowing leaks to be worse.

Your sore throat though??? If you have no other symptoms of cold or upper respiratory problems, I really think that dry mouth from mouth breathing is likely prime suspect. Even people who use a full face mask can and will get dry mouth and sore throat from mouth breathing.

On the chance that therapy is less than optimal a look at your reports would show if snores or events might be indicators of much more than just mouth breathing and thus sore throat.

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:03 pm

Are you a back sleeper?

Some people think that just because they get a cpap, they can avoid apnea and still sleep on their back,
but the problem is, you can still snore with a full face mask on, while sleeping on your back.

I had the same problem.

Ive re-trained myself to sleep on my side and stomach.

Ive even rigged up some ropes tied to my wrists to keep me in proper position.

Between that and the mask, my wife thinks I look like some kind of space alien, about as ugly
as Keith Richards