Tonites the first nite with new stuff

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JeffH

Tonites the first nite with new stuff

Post by JeffH » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Got my VPAP auto 25 Friday and my Quattro FX today, so tonite will be the first nite with new settings and equipment. I'm a little nervous because of my sensitivity to pressure changes and I've always used nasal pillows which I've found don't work very well on higher pressures. Also I have eye issues I'm a little worried about, but here goes.

Wish me luck.

JeffH

jromano

Re: Tonites the first nite with new stuff

Post by jromano » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:53 pm

Best of luck to you, JeffH!
Let us know how it goes...

Cheers,
Jess
Disclosure: Any views or information expressed are opinions of the poster only and are not medical advice. Please consult with your doctor or healthcare professional with any questions regarding your health.

jameslv-nv

Post by jameslv-nv » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:12 pm

I'm newer than new here and just got my script today but wanted to wish you the very best! Hope all goes well for you and much good health is on the way.

James

jnk

Post by jnk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:19 pm

I use a Swift LT (nasal pillows) and have done so with 11 cm Min EPAP and 20 cm Max IPAP, 4 cm PS. Admittedly, my pressure rarely goes up from the minimum, but my pillows worked great at 15/11.

I use the VPAP Auto, a sort of S8 1 and 1/2 that came out before the Auto 25, a true S8 II. Sweet machine.

Enjoy!

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:22 pm

jnk wrote:I use a Swift LT (nasal pillows) with 11 cm Min EPAP and 20 cm Max IPAP, 4 cm PS. Admittedly, my pressure rarely goes up from the minimum, but my pillows work great at 15/11.

I use the VPAP Auto, a sort of S8 1 and 1/2 that came out before the Auto 25, a true S8 II. Sweet machine.

Enjoy!
I've used the Swift LT for about three years now and liked it, but at higher pressures it gave me air in the stomach that the full face seemed to not allow to happen. I don't understand it, but that's my experience. It will be interesting to see what kind of pressures I'm running.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I've been at this going on 13 years and this feels like I'm a newbie all over again.

JeffH

john.michael

Post by john.michael » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:24 pm

I hope it goes great, Jeff!

I'm pretty new to this myself. My very first night was in February. I got what seems to be the right mask for my machine just a few weeks ago, and it seems to be going pretty well since then. Hopefully that is right where you are, beginning tonight!

Best,
John

Machine - ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV

john.michael

Post by john.michael » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:26 pm

jameslv-nv wrote:I'm newer than new here and just got my script today but wanted to wish you the very best! Hope all goes well for you and much good health is on the way.

Best wishes and good health to you, too, James. THis board has been a great help to me; I hope you find the same and sleep well

-John

Machine - ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:26 pm

Good luck with your new gear! I hope you post about your experience with your new machine. I made an appointment with Dr. Krakow today - I go to Albequerque May 2-4 and it sounds like I am a similar path. They mentioned a strong possibility of going home with rx for asv. After spending all that time learning about my cpap, now it looks like I will be on the learning curve with asv - or whatever they prescribe, in all likelihood no longer cpap.

So, sleep tight and let us know how it goes!

btw - did your new machine come from your local dme or was it arranged through Dr. Krakow's office? Thanks!

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:34 pm

Good luck, Jeff.

We'll be waiting to hear how things went.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:38 am

Jeff
I've got my fingers crossed that all goes well with you. Sleep well!
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:07 am

Didn't go well at all. Was up awake until 4:30am. I could not fall asleep with the pressures going up and down and of course my FFM leaked to the point of keeping me awake. Not sure what I'm gonna do. Ended up getting 4 or 5 hrs. sleep by setting the machine up straight cpap @ 12.4. Also got a belly full of air that made sleeping a no go.

This sucks.

JeffH

Last edited by JeffH on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:10 am

Oh snap!

DD

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:44 am

What a bummer!

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:54 am

Sorry to hear that.
I'd be yelling at the doctor if it were me.

Hey.....look at it this way......at least we won't be giving you those typical forum responses to "newbies"......
"Hang in there"......"You'll get used to it"......."Keep trying"........etc., etc.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:19 am

Wulfman wrote: Hey.....look at it this way......at least we won't be giving you those typical forum responses to "newbies"......
"Hang in there"......"You'll get used to it"......."Keep trying"........etc., etc.
Curious why we shouldn't give Jeff that advice... since he's not yet accustomed to the "feel" of BiLevel?

OutaSync was no newbie when she switched to ASV's BiLevel either. And she had a hell of a time just learning to sleep with her ASV machine's BiLevel pulsing. But now that she's used to it, she claims that machine gives her the best AHI and most comfortable sleep she's had...

Jeff, give yourself some time to acclimate to BiLevel... before prematurely casting judgment. And good luck!

P.S. You might have aerophagia problems with BiLevel as well... But don't assume that. Aerophagia can supposedly be affected via vagal stimulation... And a BiLevel machine supposedly stimulates the vagal nerve with BiLevel pressure pulsing.... BiLevel can conceivably help or worsen your aerophagia, depending on your aerophagia's underlying etiology.