Can anyone suggest a mask for stomach/side sleeper?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
brendapereira

Can anyone suggest a mask for stomach/side sleeper?

Post by brendapereira » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:27 pm

My swift fx isnt cutting it. Any suggestions?

Mr Bill

Re: Can anyone suggest a mask for stomach/side sleeper?

Post by Mr Bill » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:23 pm

I suggest a nasal mask like mine. I have no experience with full face masks but my mask rarely leaks even at 25cm, which does not happen that often. I sleep on my back mostly but I started out sleeping on my side and its perfect for that. This mask can be moved around quite a bit and maintains seal. It has a double seal and is comfortable. You just need to have the habit of keeping your mouth closed when you sleep. See if your DME will let you try one.

90% EPAP=7.0, Avg PS=4.0, Avg bpm 18.3, Avg Min vent 9.2 Lpm, Avg CA/OA/H/AHI = 0.1/0.1/2.1/2.3 ... updated 02/17/12

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:29 pm

brendapereira wrote:My swift fx isnt cutting it. Any suggestions?
I'm testing out the Swift FX, and found it did not work AT ALL for me until I bought Pad-a-Cheek's barrel cover and side covers.

My favorite, the Headrest, is no longer being made.

Next favorite is the Comfortlite 2, which works really, really well for a side sleeper. It was my first mask and worked for me from the get-go.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm a side/stomach sleeper and use a Swift FX for Her and don't have many serious leaks at all, as long as I spend the time to adjust it properly. I made my own sleeves/pads for the gel straps of the headgear that goes on my face as I was getting major marks in the mornings.

I also just purchased a Regenesis pillow which has made an enormous difference, just in 2 nights. Tried all sorts of other pillows and CPAP pillows but this one works best for me. The buckwheat hulls can be shaped so that there's a hollow where the mask is, and it stays that way all night.

Different things seem to work for people - some love the Sleepweaver mask for side/stomach sleeping - others don't like it at all.

Good luck finding the magic 'one' for you.

Cheers,
xena

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:38 pm

I'm a side stomach sleeper. I use Swift LT for her. I have not had any problems.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

streetrodder

Post by streetrodder » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:10 am

I have always been a side sleeper. I fought with the swift fx for over seven months with about a ten percent success rate. I recently switch to the optilife and things are working much better. I can shift from one side to another and not be awakened by a blast of leaks. I am using the nasal not the cradle cushions. I tested those and I feel they would leak for me.
good luck with your battle.

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:39 am

I sleep exclusively on my stomach and with the relatively high pressures (used to be 20, now it's down to 14cm H2O), the only thing that would work is a modified Breeze. I was recently given the Swift FX but I can't use it, even with modifications - it would move around and not seal, not to mention the discomfort. With the Breeze (reinforced stem, added exhaust guide and added transverse strap) it seals perfectly (my median leak is 0).
McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:58 am

I am side sleeper and use the buckwheat pillow. I use the Swift FX now but before it I used the Swift LT. It might be more stable for you and is still very comfortable.. Well, as comfortable as any of this stuff on our face can be.. The added fleece side protectors for both Swifts makes a remarkable difference in comfort and even seems to help with stability.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

diboja

Post by diboja » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:44 am

I am a side sleeper and have used the "Zest" mask constantly. No leakage and comfortable....and I am constantly switching from side to side because of arthritis.

I also use the Hose Lift hanger https://www.cpap.com/productpage/flexib ... -lift.html which makes quite a difference to stop the hose from interfering with my jostling around.