CPAP while on the train

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
timbalionguy

CPAP while on the train

Post by timbalionguy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:00 am

i am anticipating taking a trip by train in a couple of months, and possibly a second a month later. They are overnight trips. Has anyone done CPAP on the train, or am I better off sleeping upright in my seat (and I won't get a lot of sleep, anyway), and foregoing CPAP for those nights? Any other thoughts? The equipment on this route is the Amtrak superliner series.

Bons

Re: CPAP while on the train

Post by Bons » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:48 am

I spoke with someone from Amtrak recently because I'm heading out west soon. CPAP is no problem for them. They have electric outlets at every row of seats.

Before CPAP I used to travel back and forth frequently between Wisconsin and New York. I am a very "active" sleeper and anyone in a bed or near me at night is not safe (tried to strangle my husband a few times during REM, among other things). My doctor used to write a letter of medical necessity stating that I needed a row to myself for the safety of others. This allowed me to preboard, too A conductor or two thought I was scamming them, until they actually saw me sleeping (and flailing).

Your doctor might be willing to write something stating that you need the extra seat because of the apnea. That would give you room to place the cpap on the floor and not have an extra pair of feet to worry about (you wouldn't want to have the pap on the seatback tray). It's not terribly uncomfortable curling on your side across two seats...

Bring a small blanket - I still use my 20 year old crib blankets when I travel by train.

Bert_Mathews

Post by Bert_Mathews » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:14 am

I travel from Michigan to Texas and to Utah BY Train about four times a year.. I've traveled Coach one and if you talk with the conductor he'll try to set you in a comfortable location...... Most times I get a sleepet the extra cost covers having a bed and all your meals are included!! < Well worth the $$ > If you book early you can ask for the handy-cap room "REALLY Nice"
You'll find Amtrak is GOOD SERVICE - They will help with your luggage If the train is late or has a problem They put you up in a local motel free & pay for a taxi to and from & meal..Along with a discount on next trip with them..... Tell me of any airline that will do that??

ImageTravel by BUS ????? - - - - - WORST WAY OF TRAVELING EVER . . . Hitch hike it's better!!!

Bert

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
http://www.sharpstones.com

Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT

Post by Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:53 am

At a sleep conference I once saw a demo of a soft battery powered cpap unit that hung around your neck/shoulders for traveling. I don't remember the name but it looked interesting.

I am on a life quest for the perfect night's sleep...Keep trying...Good sleep can blow!

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:45 am

I took an overnight train trip last year and will NEVER try that again.

We had a compartment, with "fold-down" bunks. Of the 10 compartments in our car, 7 of them had CPAP users. We stopped in the night to "merge" with another train. During the switch the power was out for about 45 minutes. It immediately became a snore-fest! Never again.

And I certainly wouldn't do it in a "coach". Train rides are OK once in a while, but not overnight, IMHO.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:41 pm

The big thing with the train is.... Do I want to be irradiated and/or groped if I fly... or am I willing to put up with a couple of nights' discomfort and see the world in a more gentle way?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:47 pm

timbalionguy wrote:The big thing with the train is.... Do I want to be irradiated and/or groped if I fly... or am I willing to put up with a couple of nights' discomfort and see the world in a more gentle way?
Yes many people here take the train if it is around 6 hours - it takes just as long to fly by the time you add in all the to and from the airport and the waits. The train takes you from downtown to downtown in a big seat without frying your sinuses. I love train travel.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:00 pm

I used a Resmed spirit in the upper sleeper a few years ago. Bring an extension cord cheap brown 8' tritap, and put it in the net shelf at the top. Worked great.

BigNortherner

Post by BigNortherner » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:20 am

LinkC, perhaps that’s the BreatheX Journey. At one point sold by Viasys/Tiara, but those outfits seem to morph/be sold/be absorbed frequently. (Originally sold by a company set up by persons who were experts in efficient motors for CPAP, Hoffman Laboratories.)

From information I had about the original, see later post for what it morphed to:
Weight claim varies from 2.5 to 4.5 lbs, I suspect the difference is the removable battery (1 lb), AC charger (0.75 lb), and hoses.
Claimed 11 hours at 10cm from rechargeable Li battery but that will deteriorate with use as batteries do, rechargeable from 100-240vac (with battery in machine, spare batteries available), no DC plug. Power requirement minimum 100 watts.
Claimed quiet, max 31 dB.
Pressure range 5 to 12cm, no humidifier.
Sort of a dumbell shape that could be draped around neck, design focus was to be close to user.
Came with a very short and/or intermediate length and/or regular long hose (info was confusing – around neck, on bed beside head, and off bed use respectively), standard diameter hose fit.

Checking the Internet quickly this week, it seems that it morphed into a padded rectangular box, rather than the original floppy dumb-bell shape that could be draped around neck. Apparently sold by Viasys who change names frequently to confused potential customers. See
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/Breat ... -CPAP.html
http://www.southeastoxygen.com/CPAP_Mac ... ourney.htm
http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/sleep_rep ... -18_10.asp
I also saw a spare battery advertised:
http://www.eu-pap.ie/breathex-journey-battery.html