Tips for SWIFT users!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:21 pm

[quote="sarkel"]That stinking swift is the reason my mask falls off every night while i'm sleeping. I only get about 4 hours on the mask each night. Actually, I really do like the mask, but i want it to stay on all night. I was trying to come up with a solution of my own but i'm going to try this one tonight. the only thing i could think of was looping pantyhose over the side straps and securing under my arms. Crazy!! Why cant they just make the mask better?

L o R i

Guest101

Info for greengirl!

Post by Guest101 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:43 pm

Greengirl - The tips in the above POSTS may help you with the swift adjustment.

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:01 pm

I did the velco on the back straps and it worked GREAT. So I thought, hmmmm, maybe a little more protection and put it on the top strap. WRONG, the next morning when I took it off I ripped out A LOT of hair. Wonder why it didn't rip out the hair on the back of my head...lol? But I am very happy with the results of keeping it in place.
great tip!

Bonnie

"People who say they slept like a baby apparently never had one"

ufo13

Post by ufo13 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:16 pm

Hi Bonnie:

Glad the velcro fix worked well for you. Yes just those little pieces on the back strap seem to keep it in place very well, and if you lift the mask off from front to rear it comes off easy without to much trouble. Hope you are feeling much better now after that long bout of flu you had.

All the best,

steve,
ufo13

Bonnie

Post by Bonnie » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:07 pm

Thanks, Steve, much better finally. It lasted from Thanksgiving to a week after New Year's. Missed the whole holiday season. Worked and slept! Fortunately didn't have much trouble using the pap. Love that Swift, blew everything away allowing me to sleep. But now am back on track and doing well. Hope things are going well for you too.

Bonnie

"People who say they slept like a baby apparently never had one"

Nick

Found this SWIFT tip!

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

I was searching for help with the problem I was having with the swift mask comming off sometimes at night and found this tip. I tried most of the materials suggested and I have found the velcro works extreamly well and I have not had one night since placing the velcro on the back straps where the mask has come off and I have not even had a problem with leaks. I agree with bonnie above that this is a great fix and improves this mask greatly!

Nick

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:11 pm

I am so glad I found this post. This is something I am d finitely going to try, I keep taking my Swift off after just a few hours because it slips out of place and I end up with either a sore nose or too much leaking. Thanks a bunch for thse fix. it is so I am only going into my thrid week of Using my machine. Still trying to get used to it and have yet to sleep the night through just a few hours.

Mairlyn

Miss Sandman

My 89 cent fix

Post by Miss Sandman » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:40 pm

On my swift

I removed the two velcro end strips from both straps, cut a piece of 1 inch wide by XX inches of elastic (sewing notion) and made them connect in the center part of each of the bands ike this [ strap]=elastic=[strap]
Trying it on before final sewing; I adjusted the length to be comfortable for me. Now it is custom fitted to ME, "gives" just enough, and the velcro doesn't get caught in my hair.

Sandi

"To sleep, perhaps to dream......"

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:43 pm

Velcro .....

There is no velcro on my Swift. Is there an old and a new version?

ufo13

Fix for swift!

Post by ufo13 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:14 pm

Hi Linda 3032:

If you read the first post under this thread the velcro fix is something I came up with a few months ago! But it seems Miss Sandman came up with a pretty cool improvement on the idea I had, especially for the ladys with longer hair! Kudos to her on the "Improved Fix". The velcro fix still continues to work well for me, but I am definitaly going to try her terrific idea!!!

Best to all!

Steve
ufo13

ufo13-guested

suefox51-did you try this?

Post by ufo13-guested » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:10 am

Suefox51:

Did you try this tip I posted awhile back? It helps with the problem your having. Also I would add that you do not need to have this interface too tight but not too loose either-just very comfortable for you! If you go back to the cd that comes with the mask or the quick start sheet about fitting this mask and take time to adjust it for you I beleive you will have a good result in getting it to perform for you! Some other forum member reported a fix if the leak is comming from the snap on parts of the mask by putting a piece of plumbers teflon tape around the parts and snaping them back together, it works!

My best to you,

Steve,
ufo13

thenapper

Post by thenapper » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:33 am

I am new to cpap, 3 days. I have the swift and was wondering what in the world i was going to do about that back strap riding up. your post could not have come at a more perfect time. I will try it tonight.

I have another question about the swift. I have been waking up from leaking, not through the nares but through the ends? on either side where the cap is and also where the hose is connected. I've made sure that they were connected well. Or it could be where the slider cover thingy goes on the attach the pillow. not sure.

Any problems with this? It was 4:30 both mornings so I don't know if my pressure ramped up and it started to leak, or if am I having an apnea episode and don't know it and maybe the pressure is too low. I'm confused. Will the software help me figure this out?

Thanks for posting
Kathy

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:12 am

I have found that those can leak but generally a careful reseating of all the parts eliminates the leaks.

Be sure to reseat everything carefully, including the headgear "O" rings. It took me awhile to realize that those were the most common culprits.

SB

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:14 pm

thenapper wrote:I have another question about the swift. I have been waking up from leaking, not through the nares but through the ends? on either side where the cap is and also where the hose is connected. I've made sure that they were connected well. Or it could be where the slider cover thingy goes on the attach the pillow. not sure.

Kathy
Kathy,

When I used to use the Swift, I took paper medical tape (very thin) and just wrapped the threaded end that goes into the barrel and reinserted them AND then a piece over where the two ends of the barrel met and then slid the bar over that. That stopped any leaks I had from those areas.

L o R i

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:18 pm

Thanks so much for the info - I'll give it a try - anything is better than feeling like my nose is being ripped off when the masks slips
I do appreciate all the info I get - hope to share some (when I become a "pro")
Sue