Travel tips

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleeping_in_ny

Travel tips

Post by sleeping_in_ny » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:22 pm

I have a short trip coming up. Any recommendations about using the humidifier? My respiratory therapist says it is OK to use regular water instead of distilled for a day or two, but the manufacturer's manual says anything but distilled water could damage the machine. I can't imagine bringing a gallon of distilled water in my luggage and I can't find anything smaller. Neither can I imaging running around to a CVS trying to find some when I arrive at my destination. I was thinking of just using the CPAP for a day without the humidifier.

dai2dai996

Re: Travel tips

Post by dai2dai996 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:30 pm

I use a 1 liter drinking water bottle that I fill with distilled water for trips. Works great and does not spill.

snoozysue

Post by snoozysue » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:31 pm

I misunderstood my supplier's instructions when I first started CPAP and used tap water every day for a month - no ill effects on me or the machine.

kempo

Post by kempo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:33 pm

Why would you have to bring a gallon in your luggage for just two days use? I have a small stainless steel water bottle that will hold about 4 days. Small enough to store in my luggage no problem. You can buy them at wally world for less than 5 bucks.

Have a good trip!

sleeping_in_ny

Post by sleeping_in_ny » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:02 pm

Thanks for replies! I was worried about water spilling in luggage. I will look into a liter refillable. bottle for travel.

sleepyprm

Post by sleepyprm » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:13 pm

I use tap water for a few days, and have had no difficulties with my machines or my physical health. I have asthma, allergies and lots of sensitivities, and tap works for me while on travel.

brendatv

Post by brendatv » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:10 pm

My suggestion is to make a trip to your local pharmacy and ask them if you can have/buy a 16 ounce bottle that liquid prescriptions come in. I have 3 of them, so can carry enough distilled water for a week. I even had my doctor write a letter that I taped to one of the bottles that indicates that I need to carry 16 ounces of distilled water with me when traveling with my CPAP so that if there are questions at security at the airport I have some verification that the amount of water I have is prescription related. I haven't traveled by plane since starting CPAP, so don't know if it will be helpful or not to have that letter taped to my bottle. The bottles are leak proof and they are fairly flat so pack more easily.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Where are you going that you won't be able to buy distilled water when you get there????? Any Drug Store and most grocery stores sell it.
If you are going somewhere with snow....MELT SOME!

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:02 am

sleeping_in_ny wrote:I have a short trip coming up. Any recommendations about using the humidifier? My respiratory therapist says it is OK to use regular water instead of distilled for a day or two, but the manufacturer's manual says anything but distilled water could damage the machine. I can't imagine bringing a gallon of distilled water in my luggage and I can't find anything smaller. Neither can I imaging running around to a CVS trying to find some when I arrive at my destination. I was thinking of just using the CPAP for a day without the humidifier.
Hi,

I don't like to use tap water if it can be avoided. The junk in the water can end up in your sinuses. Though experts swear that this cannot possibly hurt you, I am not going to breath the chemicals that are in tap water. I also don't want to risk having the sensors in my machine get gunked up with any of the solids that are found in tap water.

My strategy is easy:

1) I take along one or two small bottles of distilled water to get me through the first few nights
2) I am bound to drive past a Walmart or large grocery store one of those days
3) I don't carry back the jug even if I have water left over at the end of my trip

As for small bottles, I found that 8-oz diet coke bottles work great. I rinse them out after finishing off the pop. The diet kind rinses out easily and doesn't get sticky from sugar like sweetened pop does. They also seal very well. Just because I am paranoid, I put each bottle into a zip-lock bag. I put them in my checked luggage so I don't have to worry about the 3 oz limit with carry on stuff.

-john-

MoonBear

Post by MoonBear » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:13 am

Hi,

You can get 2 ounce thick glass bottles that are not very fragile from any bottle company that sells aromatherapy equipment. You could pack the 8 oz stainless steel in your suitcase, but tuck a two-ounce bottle of water into your cpap bag so you have something to use immediately when you arrive should your luggage get lost.

Cheers,
moonBear

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:05 am

IMO it's just not necessary to go to any of these lengths to lug along water in your luggage or cpap bag. If you are going to a 3rd world country or will have to pump or draw your water from a well with a bucket, then yes--carry a small bottle of water with you. There will be absolutely no ill effects from using bottled drinking water when traveling. Truly. And I can't think of many places in the world where you can travel by any automated vehicle that you could not purchase bottled water.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

rad3766

Post by rad3766 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:31 am

I would just use bottled water for a few days, um, actually I do. I have even used tap water a few times.
Maybe its just me, but it seems to me we over-think what water to use.

jbn3boys

Post by jbn3boys » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:38 am

I prefer to use distilled water, so I just re-use a water bottle that I got out of a vending machine one time. I think it is 10 ounces. When I pack it, as someone else said, I pack it in a new, freezer ziploc bag. That way, any small leaks will be contained. (I've never had any small leaks, I'm just over-cautious.) If I did not want to go through this "bother" (which is no bother to me), I would just buy a bottle of drinking water from the motel vending machines. I just don't like tap water, since there are often so many chemicals in them. I know many others use tap water, it's just not for me. Although, in an emergency, I probably would.

aPAP for 4 months, Switched to BiPap, 2nd sleep study Feb 2011 Possible PLMD
to quote Madalot..."I'm an enigma"

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:10 am

Since you asked for recommendations...

Your machines ability to deliver pressurized air to your airway is not dependent upon the humidifier. Feel free to travel without the humidifier.

Your manufacturer is incorrect in stating that "anything but distilled water could damage the machine." They should have said that water with minerals in it can allow scale to build up in the humidifier tank. A humidifier tank with scale built up in it has no effect on the ability of the machine to deliver pressurized air. With that said, a build up of scale on the bottom of the tank can cause the humidifier to work a little harder at keeping the water warm IF there is a feedback system used by the humidifier to monitor the water temperature. This "extra" work by the humidifier "could" cause it to wear out faster, but even if the humidifier totally fails, the xPAP machine will still be able to work.

It is important to understand the quality of the water you are "breathing," but keep in mind that you breathe "polluted" air all day and somehow you are still alive. With a healthy immune system you can tolerate a lot over the short duration of a trip.

Just as important as the quality of water you use in the humidifier is the issue of humidifier tank hygiene. When traveling there are lots of opportunities for "crud" to get into your tank. I would suggest a quick cleaning rinse just prior to each nights use, if you happen to bring it along during your trip. In the morning, dump the remaining water out and let the tank air dry during the day.

Have a nice trip.