enough with these nasal pillows! now what?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cjulia

enough with these nasal pillows! now what?

Post by cjulia » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:51 pm

I've been using the swift fx nasal pillows for about a month now and I am convinced they are not working. My AHI has gone down to around 5.0 on average but the leak rate has been consistently around 30 ml. I'm pretty sure it's a combo of an inability to stay sealed and some mouth breathing. Furthermore, I just don't feel any better. I'm still not sleeping well. As a matter of fact, the leaks wake me up all night long so I end up feeling the same as I did pre-CPAP. Last night was the first night that I didn't use the CPAP since I received it, just to see if I would notice any difference. I felt better today than I have since I started using it.
I should add that my sleep study revealed severe OSA (AHI-56) and I've felt like crap for a looooooong time so I really want this to work.
I guess my real question is for those that have switched from nasal pillows. What has worked for you? I fall asleep on my back but usually move around a lot in my sleep, going to both sides.
Any advice and encouragement is welcome.

sleepymama

Re: enough with these nasal pillows! now what?

Post by sleepymama » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:57 pm

not sure as i'm currently using pillows and have not be successful with some nasal and ffmasks
if you are leaking and doing mouth breathing the air is not successfully keeping your airway open therefore you do not feel better. try a chinstrap, taping or a full face mask. i'm in the same boat.

~~SleepyMama~~
Diagnosed with OSA July 4/10
Titration Aug. 8/10
Treatment Started Aug. 25/10

Trying to find the right one...mask!

elena88

Post by elena88 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:00 pm

I have the swift fx pillows.. I noticed that I had to tighten the top headgear strap rather regulary or they leaked as well..
Have you noticed that there is air escaping inbetween your nostrils and the pillows?

for mouth breathing, I use superband sports tape, and I cut a tiny 1/4 inch slit in the center of it, so if I cough I dont blow the tape off..
I have used it enough now, couple months, that I dont need to wear it hardly ever, i have trained my mouth to keep shut..

I also have opus 360 headgear and and nasal pillows.. in medium, however with the swift, I used size small..

are your nose pillows the right size?

I have tried to switch from nasal pillows many times, just so I would have a full face mask back up.. and I go back to the pillows..

If you like the pillows masks, perhaps try to get it adjusted properly and use the mouth tape, if that doesnt work you could
try another pillow mask or maybe a hybrid..

if you can make them work, that would be great, but people who use full masks will chime in on their tips.. I just cant handle a ffm..

Also, it takes a few months to train yourself to use your bed pillows in such a way that you dont crush or move your nose pillows, once you
do that, the leaks go way down.. you might be in the rough spot on that learning curve..

greg-g

Post by greg-g » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Are you using a standard swift FX?
I initially found the FX to be a disaster, but with a few modifications its brilliant.
The rear band moved all over the place, and movement broke the seal. I had to wake up to move.
Now with velcro on the headband, a hose hanger, forehead mount, and an air diffuser, I can toss and turn and sleep all night.
I also use the largest size pillow.
See
viewtopic/t55230/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53591 for details of the headband and hose hanger
viewtopic/t55230/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54 ... t=diffuser for the diffuser.

JaguarFan2010

Post by JaguarFan2010 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:13 pm

I just started using the pillows and had to get medical company therapist to come and fit it on me and see that I was wearing it properly. I did not have the pillows up high enough to my nose. Now, no leaking.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:07 pm

You're not supposed to wear your Swift FX around your waist.
jeff

kempo

Post by kempo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:12 pm

Watch this video about the FX ( fitting, cleaning, and usage).

http://www.resmed.com/us/products/swift ... s&sec=true

kf10

Post by kf10 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:42 pm

Make sure you use the right pillow size.

The positions and the tightness of the straps are very important. Make sure they are not too tight and try to change the positions until you come to a spot that You can lightly push on your cheeks and no more leak.

If you open you mouth in deep sleep, you can use chin strap or tape. I am using sport tape as well, no allergy problem and clean.

Good luck.

Emma47

Post by Emma47 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:39 am

I changed from pillows (Swift LT) to a Fisher & Paykel Zest nasal mask with great success. It just fits me really well and I'm more comfortable. I use Remzzzs and rarely have leaks.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:47 am

It is too bad you waited a month. Usually inside of the month they exchange the masks for free. Get a full face mask - go there with your machine and pillow, put it on full pressure and lay down with the mask on - even if you have to lay down on the floor!!! It is the ONLY WAY to fit a mask properly.
It is always good to have an extra mask, especially a full face mask for when you get a cold or allergies pop up.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

cjulia

Post by cjulia » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:31 pm

thanks for your advice! I have an appt. on Thursday to pick up another mask. I still haven't decided between a nasal or a full face but I'll try them both on and see how they fit. I like the idea about bringing a pillow. I'll do that. I'm not waiting a month next time!

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:56 pm

A special cpap bed pillow or contour memory foam pillow also helps with leaks.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

lbw

Post by lbw » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:02 pm

It took me awhile to adjust my pillows. I use Opus 360. I found using a small amount of nasal lubricant really helped with the leaks. Finding the right adjustment tok a few nights. The trick is not to have the straps too tight

koolkathy

Post by koolkathy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:05 pm

I started out with a swift nasal pillow system several years ago. I used it with moderate success for a while, then moved on to the Swift LT. that worked much better for me as it is shaped to fit a woman's face better. I used that for about a year with pretty good success, but felt I wasnt always getting enough air. I then switched to a mirage quatro full face mask. I have to tell you I never thought I would be able to sleep with a full face mask, but was surprised how much better it worked. Just recently, after more than a year using the quatro, I began having problems . The bridge of my nose would get sore, high AI, HI and AHI numbers. I switched back to the swift LT and have been having great success again. I think, in my case anyway, I needed to change things up a bit. I am truly enjoying my swift LT. I did start using a small instead of XS and have found that to work much better. I tend to start out sleeping on my side but ofter wake on my stomach. I think you need to just keep trying, there is a mask out there for you.