Strange feeling in my chest......

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fireman38355

Strange feeling in my chest......

Post by fireman38355 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:58 pm

Hey all,

Today I have had this strange feeling in my chest...... almost like I am short of breath, but I am not, I can breathe fine.

The other way would describe it is like the feeling you get when you inhale as deeply as you can and let it out slowly..... several times in a row. After you have done this 6 or 7 times, let all of your air out and hold it....... THIS is the feeling I am talking about.... Kind of like my lungs have deflated.... I really don't know how to describe it....

Anybody else have similar experiences during your first few days on PAP therapy?

stephanie13724

Re: Strange feeling in my chest......

Post by stephanie13724 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:10 pm

I haven't heard of this happening (doesn't mean it hasn't, just mean I haven't heard of it.) It wouldn't be a bad idea to call the DME company that you recieved the machine and mask from and ask to talk to their RRT (respiratory therapist) about it, or call your sleep doctor and tell them about it. They'll probably have some information and/or sugestions for you.

-Stephanie 13724
Stephanie13724

fireman38355

Post by fireman38355 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:14 pm

UUUGGHHHH!

I have been SO looking forward to starting my treatment and getting better..... but I talked to my respiratory therapist earlier and she said it was not normal. She wants to refer me to a neurologist now to figure out what is causing my central apneas... Great! Now I am terrified that there is more to this than I am aware of.....

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:19 pm

I would speak to an MD - either in Emerg or otherwise and possibly even get an EKG. Any time your (awake) breathing changes (and you're no longer 25 :0) you should get checked out.

elena88

Post by elena88 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:48 pm

Anything out of the ordinary like that you should call your doctor..

Does this feeling occur more if you are moving around and active, then subside when you sit and rest?

many people have a go of it feeling like they are being blown up, and their chest muscles hurt from the expansion of breathing deeply.
This happened to me.. it happens to me every night, it almost "hurts" so I have trouble sleeping with my machine.

I feel so good when I dont use it..

but you have central apnea, and you need this machine very badly to save your life. Try to tell the doctor when you first noticed this
feeling, give him/her all the information you can.. Please dont be too discouraged, you just started the therapy, and sometimes there are
some small and large bumps in the beginning.. okay?

dave21

Post by dave21 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:56 pm

fireman38355 wrote:Hey all,

Today I have had this strange feeling in my chest...... almost like I am short of breath, but I am not, I can breathe fine.

The other way would describe it is like the feeling you get when you inhale as deeply as you can and let it out slowly..... several times in a row. After you have done this 6 or 7 times, let all of your air out and hold it....... THIS is the feeling I am talking about.... Kind of like my lungs have deflated.... I really don't know how to describe it....

Anybody else have similar experiences during your first few days on PAP therapy?
From what you're describing it sounds like you might be trying to describe PVC's to me. If the chest feels like someone is sitting on it sometimes, and you get the odd flutter sensation (like butterflies in your stomach but in your chest) then it's probably an irregular heart beat or PVC (Premature ventricular contraction). PVC's can also give you the feeling like you're not getting enough oxygen although you can breathe fine. That's common for people that either haven't been getting enough oxygen (as it puts stresses on your heart) or can be related to too much stress, caffeine etc. PVC's usually aren't harmful and it's just a signal to get you to slow down or change your lifestyle.

I used to get PVC's a lot before CPAP, still do get them from time to time (going through a spell at the moment with them).

If it's different than this, then I'd say it's probably best to get it checked out just in case. I wouldn't stop treatment before getting to see a doctor to find out what might be happening.

Thanks
Dave

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:49 pm

Its a simple matter to speak to your family doctor about a 24 hour or even 48 hour Holter monitor. Just to check for any cardiac arrhythmias. Research has established a link between both CSA and OSA w/Atrial Fibrillation. I'm glad to see that Dave brought up PVCs which is one of the cardiac arrhythmias. Some are worrisome, others are not. How long they last, how frequent they are, etc. AND you could be having some arrhythmias and not even be aware of them. I would think in your profession you would be wise to speak to your famly doctor about this and about a Holter monitor or even a 30 day event monitor.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

fireman38355

Post by fireman38355 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:39 pm

Thanks all,

The feeling has subsided alot this evening, it just worried me when she said "Neuro".... knowing what I know about central apneas. I will be talking to the RT again tomorrow and she wants to see the data card from my machine to see if anything strange is happening at night.

The feeling isn't really painful or anything, it just feels like I have blown up about 100 balloons. Like my lungs are getting a workout that they've not had in a long time..... kind of hard to describe. We are gonna see what the data from my machine shows and then I will probably end up making whatever appointment she recommends.

Thanks all

Jeff

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:06 pm

Is this the local DME provider's RRT??? Interesting that she would suggest you see a Neuro before she would suggest something as simple as a 24-48 hour Holter monitor.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

dave21

Post by dave21 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:02 am

Fireman, if you think it's not the chest weighty feeling / PVC's / skipper heart beats, and that's all okay but it's just more that you've been blowing up too many balloons then it's more likely just a side effect of CPAP that you'll get over. Some of our lungs take a while to adjust to the increase in pressure from regular breathing to being on an oxygen machine over night. If you're one of these types, that can give you the feeling like you've run a mile inside your lungs, blown up too many balloons, make you feel like you're gasping for air when you're not and also in some people a wease or even some pain when inhaling and exhaling.

If it's just that you're lungs feel exhausted, don't worry you'll get over this the longer you spend on the CPAP.

Thanks
Dave

TheTwinsMom1

Post by TheTwinsMom1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:31 pm

I get a feeling similar to this sometimes also. I have asthma and OSA and some days my lungs just feel "tired" is the only way I can describe it. Mine is getting better now that I am used to the machine.
APAP Pressure of 12-20, EPR of 3, CMS-50F Oximeter, PapCap, and Regenesis Pillow. 200mg Provigil in the AM. Also diagnosed with Idiopathic Hypersomnia.

fireman38355

Post by fireman38355 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:46 pm

Thanks all........

Yes, it was the RRT from my DME who made the suggestion. I took my data card to her today and met for about a half hour. We are both in agreement now that it is probably just me getting used to the machine. However, she said if it got worse or didn't go away in a few weeks that I should still go see the neuro to rule out anything else.

I feel much better about it today. The feeling was all but gone today, too. I had more energy today than I have had in quite a while. I'm gonna give it some time and see.

On a side note, I have slept through the nite, every night (with one exception) since I started treatment. I am proud that I am able to tolerate it as well as I am. Makes me feel better about the future.

Thanks to all of you on here that contribute your time to help others succeed........

Jeff

elena88

Post by elena88 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:58 pm

whew, Jeff, that is good news..

had me worried there!

Fabulous that you are sleeping thru the night and feeling better already..

Youll be a new man in no time!

elena