Mask & Facial Hair

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jabman

Mask & Facial Hair

Post by jabman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:37 am

Hi all,
I have a beard and am wondering if there are cretin masks that work well with facial hair?

Psalm 150: 6
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing. " - Blaise Pascal.

deerhound

Re: Mask & Facial Hair

Post by deerhound » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:33 am

Jabman, I am a cretin who happens to have facial hair. I never found a full face mask that allowed me to keep my beard. I did obtain a Swift II nasal pillow mask and trained myself to stop mouth breathing by wearing it, hooked up to my machine, while watching TV. I now have my beard and excellent therapy while I sleep. I have never found a specific mask for us cretins.

Dale

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:46 am

I use a Swift Mirage II most of the time. I also have a Opti Life . Most of the time I have a beard and both of those masks seem to help. I also have used a Comfort Gel Mask, I like the Opti-life best.
Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"

Roman Hokie

Post by Roman Hokie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:59 am

My photo is in my avatar. I've got the ResMed Activa LT Medium. Virtually no leaks. 12 nights of use so far. Most of my nights have been 0 l/m leak rate (the S9 measures 95th percentile, so I'm pretty confident when I get that readout).

Nasal pillows ARE highly recommended for us cavemen. (my beard is over 3 years old. I keep it, generally, between a 2 to 3 comb attachment on the clippers. Most of my leaks, BTW, are around the eyes, not the stache.

If you see me acting unruly, call me on it. PMs are welcome.

sunnyway

Post by sunnyway » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Unless you look like one of the ZZ Tops, one of the total face masks may work for you. Both are by Respironics: Total Face Mask and FitLife. I obviously don't have a beard, but I really like both of the masks. Both are available on CPAP.com.
Image Image

jabman

Post by jabman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks, all, for your replies.
I don't have a full beard only a goatee and I usually keep it short it is nice to here that it won't be to mush of a problem.

Praise the LORD.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing. " - Blaise Pascal.

vipertec

Post by vipertec » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:26 pm

I also have a goatee ,I use an optilife every night but when those super congested nights come and even the flonase doesn't work I use a comfort gel ffm works real good ,If I do get any leaks it usually around the eyes but that is fixable!

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:33 pm

I have a full Santa Claus beard and 'stache (some people say that it is a ZZ Top beard), and it has never caused any problems with any of the nasal masks that I have used in the past 15 or so years. Of course, as other people have noted, nasal pillows work beautifully with beards and 'staches.

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:58 pm

I have a full, thick beard, and I'd second the comments about nasal pillows. I've not had any success with full face masks, and I haven't tried a nasal mask, since the Breeze nasal pillows work so well for me. Others on the forum swear by the Headrest or one of the Swifts. I would seriously consider a nasal pillow interface. Good luck!

sheepdog

Post by sheepdog » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:32 am

I now mostly use a comfort gel with so-so results. I sleep on my left side mostly and at 20cm/h2o it may be that I cannot use nose pillows. I am not sure but hate to spend the money on a hope. Im unemployed since April so any dollar not spent is a dollar for food or mortgage!

My beard is short but has caused leaks with the Comfort Gel. I cinch up way too tight and push thru it. Here's hoping your result is good. I didnt catch your pressure setting but hopefully you can try the nose pillow system. When my pressure was lower I loved nose pillows.
Respironics model 510 Auto Cpap w/ respironics heated humid. 14000 hrs as of Oct 23 2013
Swift LT / Comfort Gel Masks
Set to auto 10-20 cm/H2o setting.

jabman

Post by jabman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:27 am

The.sheepdog wrote:I now mostly use a comfort gel with so-so results. I sleep on my left side mostly and at 20cm/h2o it may be that I cannot use nose pillows. I am not sure but hate to spend the money on a hope. Im unemployed since April so any dollar not spent is a dollar for food or mortgage!

My beard is short but has caused leaks with the Comfort Gel. I cinch up way too tight and push thru it. Here's hoping your result is good. I didnt catch your pressure setting but hopefully you can try the nose pillow system. When my pressure was lower I loved nose pillows.
Sorry to hear about being off work, I’ve been there and done that and it sucks.

I don't know my pressure as I haven’t had (officially) my results yet, I go tomorrow to find out. I want to be prepared and at least have some idea of what’s going on and things i will need to help me. Everyone on this forum has been amazing I thank you all.

Praise the LORD.

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:58 am

Activa LT has worked great for me--no leaks most of the time. I tried full face masks at first, but those are another story--even with a very trim goatee or beard, it was hard to find one that didn't leak profusely... I use the ComfortGel FFM when I need a full face mask due to congestion. I don't like to wear it though because I have to keep it pretty tight to stop leaks, so I only do so when necessary.

(yet another Jeff)