PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine Users

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Amigo

PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine Users

Post by Amigo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:24 am

OK, so I have a new "toy," and am going through the setup process

My question has to do with the "System One" resistance control setting. Since I don't use a Respironics mask that informs me what the setting should be, I'm inclined to simply select the '0' setting.

However, I know how this group likes to experiment, and would be interested in hearing from anyone that uses nasal pillows (see headgear picture, below), and is using other than a '0' setting, and why.

Thanks.

rosacer

Re: PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine Users

Post by rosacer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:31 am

There is a resistance table for System One,

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52081&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... resistance

I have a nasal pillows mask and what the table says is you need to set it at X2, for a nasal mask X1. I can feel the difference when I set X1 for the nasal pillows instead of X2.

wil

Post by wil » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:14 pm

I don't like it, and turned mine off...

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:57 pm

I did a 7 day (night) experiment with the Resistance setting at 0 (off) and then 7 days with it set as X2 (medium size Swift FX nasal pillow). I set it at X2 because the Respironics Optilife (also nasal pillows) called for a setting of X2 for its medium pillows.

I found very little difference but slightly better data with it set at X2 for my mask.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Amigo

Post by Amigo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:02 am

My sincere thanks to all who replied, and provided the links to previous discussions of this topic.

I also apologize for asking you to repeat information that was already present in the forum had I the presence of mind to search for it. I hope you will forgive me for my "senior moment."

Last night was my first on the PR with resistance set to '0', and I am very pleased. I will wait a week or two before downloading the data, and then, perhaps, try it for another two weeks set at 'X1.'

My guess, however, is that the following will probably apply to me since I have no such issues:

From the Philips Respironics System One CPAP Review:

"This technology was only noticeable if you continue to have issues with the perceptions of increased resistance while using a CPAP."

Nevertheless, I will continue with my experimentation, and let the downloaded data speak for itself.

I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Thanks again.