Taping the mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
OCDP

Taping the mouth

Post by OCDP » Tue May 18, 2010 12:26 pm

Sorry for all of my posts and questions! I'll make this brief.

After two unsuccessful nights with the Quattro (I know, only 2) I want to try going back to the nasal mask but tape my mouth shut. I've heard this works very well for some? The nasal mask fits me well, seals well, no problems.. I just can't keep my mouth shut. I believe I can train myself to nose breathe only.

So what kind of tape do you use? Someone said something about 3M blue painters tape? I am considernig ordering a chin strap but it won't be here for a couple weeks. The Quattro just leaks too much so far and I'd like to see how the taping method works out, unless of course you'd advise against that so soon? Can't see any real harm in it though.

kurth83

Re: Taping the mouth

Post by kurth83 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:41 pm

You can buy that tape in most hardware stores, so you can get it today.

You can order a chin strap from amazon overnight and get it tomorrow
(I use the SP-CHADJ - search for that name on amazon).

Instant gratification is important when a good night's sleep is at stake.

OCDP

Post by OCDP » Tue May 18, 2010 12:49 pm

Was I correct in the type of tape to use? I don't want to be duct taping my mouth shut !

I could do an overnight but might as well give the tape a shot.. if it works tonight then who knows, I might continue on... but honestly I can't see myself taping my mouth each night. I'll definitely look into that chin strap you suggested. Perhaps I can find one locally to tide me over til I find a good one.

Phil75

Post by Phil75 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:57 pm

I use 3M Micropore, I wouldn't use duct tape...

OCDP

Post by OCDP » Tue May 18, 2010 1:05 pm

I was only kidding about the duct tape! Someone else mentioned a 3M blue painters tape, which I think I already have at home. Sounds gentle and won't glue my mouth shut like duct tape.

I would never consider duct tape on the mouth haha

Eureka

Post by Eureka » Tue May 18, 2010 1:08 pm

When I used a nasal mask, I used the blue painters tape -- the easy release type. I also used a PapCap that has a chin strap. With both the tape and the chin strap it worked very well. Then I decided to try my full face mask in case I needed it -- I have the F&P 431. It worked well and I am now in my 7th month with it. I like the easy of retiring -- wipe the mask, wipe my face, put it on and hit the button. I just never was really comfortable with taping my mouth. I get the same numbers with the FFM that I did with the nasal. This just points out again that there is no set formula that works for everyone. Experiment and see what works best for you.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Tue May 18, 2010 5:30 pm

OCDP wrote: So what kind of tape do you use? Someone said something about 3M blue painters tape? I am considernig ordering a chin strap but it won't be here for a couple weeks. .
Make sure to get #2080 3M, 2 inch wide blue painters tape. Any hardware store will carry this (Wal Mart also has it).

Maple Leaf

Post by Maple Leaf » Tue May 18, 2010 6:01 pm

dtsm wrote: Make sure to get #2080 3M, 2 inch wide blue painters tape. Any hardware store will carry this (Wal Mart also has it).
I checked Walmart and another hardware store here in Canada and all I could find was the #2090 blue tape. Any pointers where I might find the #2080?

Thanks

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Tue May 18, 2010 8:01 pm

Maple....

I've been using #2080 for over a year....and I love it! Not sure of the difference between #2080 and #2090. You might search the 3M site to see if you can find the answer. NOTE: During removal (in the morning), pull the tape parallel to your face....not at 90-degrees to your face. Pulling parallel results in a very comfortable removal. Use a strip about 10" long...and fold the ends down (about 1/2") to make removal "handles". Apply from center (your mouth area) outward.

OCDP

Post by OCDP » Tue May 18, 2010 8:42 pm

I have the #2090 at home myself. If I had to guess I'd say the difference is in the width of the tape??

Anyhow, my concern now (having a little OCD) is the taste of tape and getting the glue on your lips.. what if that gets in your mouth and in your system? I know it sounds far fetched but that's my concern??

At any rate, I can see this taping method working wonderfully, I can't breathe through my mouth or let any leaks out whatsoever through the mouth.. I must admit it sure looks hilarious! Blue tape on the mouth, nasal mask on the face, so attractive! But it seems very effective... I am going to try tonight. If I can use my nasal mask and have no mouth leaks I think I'll really be on my way to successful CPAP treatment. Glad I found this tip... So simple and seems so effective.

OCDP

Post by OCDP » Tue May 18, 2010 8:44 pm

After a quick search, the #2090 is 1.5inch and the #2080 is 1inch. So it's all in the width.

My concern still remains... the glue being on your lips and getting in the mouth and swallowed.. has me worried a bit.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Tue May 18, 2010 9:00 pm

OCDP wrote:After a quick search, the #2090 is 1.5inch and the #2080 is 1inch. So it's all in the width.

My concern still remains... the glue being on your lips and getting in the mouth and swallowed.. has me worried a bit.

You should not need a strip which is 10" long unless you have a mouth shaped and sized like Gerald's avatar! Truly!--Don't stress your face to that degree. 5-6" max and then turn under 1/4" on each end for a pull tab. Don't worry about glue with the painters tape. The Micropore tape is another story, IMO (took me a half hour of rubbing glue off my face after use, aggravating my skin in a big way, when I had never had sensitive skin previously). Use chapstick if you feel the need; then just roll your lips between your teeth when taping, and seal the tape well.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Doze

Post by Doze » Wed May 19, 2010 12:24 am

3M #2080 is for delicate surfaces and is claimed to be "60 day safe" on common surfaces that would be covered while painting. #2090 is a more standard (and at my Lowes, more common) painters tape rated at "14 days safe removal". They each come in the same variety of widths. I followed the forum advice and bought 2" width #2080 recently. Hesitated at the store because it seemed far wider than i would've thought necessary. But as usual, the advice here was right; I actually wouldn't mind if it were even a slight bit over 2".

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Wed May 19, 2010 5:46 am

Plr66.....

No cracks about my mouth...it's genetic....and I can't help it.

But, seriously......the reasoning behind the 10" length goes like this: The extra length is to prevent "blow-outs". The adhesive in the extra tape length on each side of the mouth works in "shear mode".... contrasted to the tape over the mouth area that works in "tension mode".

The tape fails in the mouth area because it is being blown outward by air pressure.....while the tape on the side of the mouth has to be pulled parallel to the face before it'll fail, The tape on the sides of the mouth is "pulling back" which helps keep the mouth area tape from failing (blowing away from the face).

I know this may not be very understandable....but, it's the best I can do.

But........what do I know.....I'm just a lizard.

"Scred"

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:56 am

I use Roosters method of taping found here;
viewtopic.php?t=9653&highlight=one+mans+taping

Been doing it this way for years now.

Brenda