ResMed Hybrid

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
waymaster

ResMed Hybrid

Post by waymaster » Thu May 06, 2010 5:21 pm

Just got one in today. This is not the cheaper hybrid with the built-in chin strap. Figure if I open my mouth in that thing it would just dislocate the mask. I'm supposed to be a mouth-breather. Anyway, I've used nose only masks before, which seemed to work, except for the air blasts directly in the eyeballs. I'm a trooper but they only ended up on the floor. Not a sleep-walker, but a sleep tosser! Trying this one in hopes it won't blow in my eyes. Yes, always got the skin irritations, which others speak about, also. Doesn't seem like the nose pillows will dislocate with the trampoline action in the ResMed Hybrid. Let you know.

First night was a little tiring. Expected to take some getting used to. Would not have expected to take it off in my sleep at this point yet. Other masks took at least a week. Have noticed the smoothness of the mask. Compared to my nose covering only mask, which was my last, my diaphram doesn't hurt from the air pressure. Seems more like natural breathing. Someone else made a similar comment on this "Liberty" mask and that influenced my decision to try this one. Also, notice the leaks that others mentioned. I think we all need to realize that some leaking will not undo the effectiveness of a mask necessarily. I'm still getting good air flow and the leaks don't go in my eyes, so no big deal.

Second night, I'm getting used to the mild leaking between the upper lip and nose pillows. Like I said, it doesn't decrease the air flow. If I turn in my sleep and really loosen the mask around my face, I just have to turn my face sharper into my pillow and that seals most leaks. The hear gear does not have to be tight. My CPAP machine will automatically cut off if the leaks are really bad. Just closing the leak in the mask and breathing deeply starts the machine back up. I know a lot of the air flow is going through my mouth. I'm emptying the humidifier tank every night and my mouth is still a little dry in the morning. That's with the heat setting on low! Still, a sign of good air flow.

waymaster

Re: ResMed Hybrid

Post by waymaster » Fri May 21, 2010 11:34 am

Been about two weeks now. Took the mask off one night due to humidity in the mask. Run humidity on medium now. It was actually some disinfectant that did not get dried out of it from an earlier cleaning. My bad. Only had to tighten mask slightly on one occasion to prevent mask from slipping to one side and leaking nose pillows. Still no marks on face in the morning and hardly know it's on me. No soreness in the nostrils. Mask ventilates beautifully. Seems like natural breathing. No complaints.

roster

Post by roster » Fri May 21, 2010 5:37 pm

waymaster wrote: This is not the cheaper hybrid with the built-in chin strap.

You got ResMed's knockoff of the original Hybrid mask by Innomed. ResMed would have liked to include a chinflap but the original Hybrid patent prevented them from including it.

I always recommend first-timers go with the original Hybrid mask because it includes all three sizes of the nasal pillows and all three sizes of the mouth cushions (ResMed only comes with one size mouth cushion). And because it has the chinflap which some people like and others cut off.

But none of that matters if the ResMed knockoff works for you.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

wil

Post by wil » Fri May 21, 2010 9:14 pm

I love mine... It seems to keep a seal better than anything else I've tried. I was having leak issues and the skin on the bridge of my nose was breaking down. It solved both of those. Been using it for about a month, and I'm happy...

My RT said I was the only person he had that was successfully using one, though... they look at it as kind of a gimmick...

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Fri May 21, 2010 9:44 pm

wil wrote:I love mine... It seems to keep a seal better than anything else I've tried. I was having leak issues and the skin on the bridge of my nose was breaking down. It solved both of those. Been using it for about a month, and I'm happy...

My RT said I was the only person he had that was successfully using one, though... they look at it as kind of a gimmick...
What a shame that your RT has this attitude. The Hybrid is a great mask, and probably fits more people than most masks. I am sure happy with mine, and it has been exactly a year today that I have been using it. The trick is learning to choose the right parts and make the right adjustments.