CPAP in Europe

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sergey45

CPAP in Europe

Post by Sergey45 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi all!
This summer I am going for 10 days trip to Europe (most likely London). I’ve been using Resperonics Rem Star Plus CPAP machine for more than 4 years and I am quite comfortable with it.
Question: For this European trip do I need a different machine compatible with their electric system?
Do I need just an adapter?
Please point me to the device specifically.
Thanks.

JohnBFisher

Re: CPAP in Europe

Post by JohnBFisher » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Sergey45 wrote:... Question: For this European trip do I need a different machine compatible with their electric system? ... Do I need just an adapter? ... Please point me to the device specifically. ...
You only need a plug adapter. Most xPAP units can handle both 110V and 220V power. That is almost certainly the case with your unit. Do you have an older REMstar Plus CPAP? (IT's the big "tank" type). Or does the unit say "M Series" on it? Or does the unit say "PR System One" on it? Either way, all three should work on 110V or 220V.

You can get plug adapters either from a local store, such as RadioShack. Or you can purchase it online. I purchased a set of plug adapters from Magellans:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Adaptor_ ... g_Adaptors

Hope that helps.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

Craig P

Post by Craig P » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:29 am

Double check your machine and see if it has a switch on the back to go from 110 to 220. If there is no switch then it should be capable of handling both voltages automatically. If it has a switch then you need to make sure you switch it before you plug it in. I took a trip to China and didn't flip the switch. Burned out my cpap and spent the next week sleeping sitting up. That is the only time in the last ten years I have gone without my cpap. Had my wife contact the DME before I returned home and went straight from the airport to the DME for a new machine.

In looking back I know my father had undiagnosed sleep apnea and he suffered greatly for it. I WILL NOT go through that. Using a cpap is easy compared to that.

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:34 am

Unless you get a kit of several adapters, you'll need to pick the country before you pick the right adapter.
But otherwise you should definitely be set with just the right adapter.

Good Luck,
TerryB

dave21

Post by dave21 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:31 am

Most of Europe uses the 2x pin plugs and UK uses the 3x pin plugs. If they don't use a 2 pin plug in some countries it will be a 3x pin plug. By 2x pin I mean the Euro 2x pin and not the US 2x pin plugs (they're different)

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:50 am

Here are a couple of good travel adapters from amazon.com - i have both of these models

1.http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Interna ... 04&sr=8-12
2.http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Interna ... 04&sr=8-10

I'd also bring an extension cord (10-12 ft should be enough), and a small surge protector, Belkin makes a one that you could plug into the adapter.
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BZ103050vT ... 610&sr=1-2

I haven't traveled internationally (yet) but did make short overnight domestic visits. My brother took his 3 yr old cpap to Asia over christmas and had no problems with different power requirements in HK, China and Taiwan hotels (he brought both the adapter and extension cord).

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:51 am

I just bought one of the white ones (second link) for a trip next spring. Glad to hear it's the right kind!

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

search333

Post by search333 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:03 pm

dtsm wrote:I'd also bring an extension cord (10-12 ft should be enough), and a small surge protector, Belkin makes a one that you could plug into the adapter.
"See link to Belkin Surge Protector at Amazon in original post"
I haven't traveled internationally (yet) but did make short overnight domestic visits. My brother took his 3 yr old cpap to Asia over christmas and had no problems with different power requirements in HK, China and Taiwan hotels (he brought both the adapter and extension cord).
I have been looking for a surge suppressor. I was excited about your recommendation. However, after reviewing the link, I realized I had already investigated the Belkin product. It will not work with 220v. I will be looking at purchasing a surge suppressor overseas.
Thank You for contacting Belkin Technical support.

We are sorry for the delayed response.
I understand you are want to know if BZ103050 will work at 110 V and 220 V.

Let me try my best to provide you the correct information.

I would like to inform you that this surge protector works only at 110 V. It can also be used at 220 V by connecting it to a converter. When the surge protector is used with a converter, you will not be able to claim for the damage of the connected equipments and warranty claims of the damaged surge protector.

Post by Guest » Thu May 06, 2010 1:27 am

THERE ARE SO MANY CPAP RENTAL SERVICE IN CHINA,WHY DIDN'T YOU RENT ONE WHEN YOUR CPAP WAS BURNT OUT? THE PRICE IS VERY LOW,AT LEAST MUCH MORE LOWER THAN YOU DELIVERY FROM OVERSEAS.

Craig P wrote:Double check your machine and see if it has a switch on the back to go from 110 to 220. If there is no switch then it should be capable of handling both voltages automatically. If it has a switch then you need to make sure you switch it before you plug it in. I took a trip to China and didn't flip the switch. Burned out my cpap and spent the next week sleeping sitting up. That is the only time in the last ten years I have gone without my cpap. Had my wife contact the DME before I returned home and went straight from the airport to the DME for a new machine.