For Canadians, particularly in Ontario

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
One Tired Puppy

For Canadians, particularly in Ontario

Post by One Tired Puppy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi all,

I haven't been on for quite awhile but am an official senior now. My machine was covered by the Assistive Devices Program but they only cover 75%. The other 25% was covered by ODSP Ontario disability support. I am now on OAS but my income is very low and I am wondering if any of you are in the same predicament. ODSP paid for my mask replacements and headgear. Now that I am on Old Age Security, is there any help that you know of for masks/headgear for low income seniors? I have tried to find it on the web but haven't had any luck as yet. I was just hoping someone on here from Ontario may know.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone may be able to provide.

While I am here, I was just wondering if there is a place on this site for members who have died. Because I haven't been on the site for a long time I can't help wondering if everyone is still here or if any have passed on. It would be nice to have a memorial section just for those that we know have passed on, such as SnoreDog and others that I don't know who may have passed on. I'm sure there must be others who would like a memorial section also. Just a thought...

Anne

Hawthorne

Re: For Canadians, particularly in Ontario

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:52 pm

I am a Canadian living in Ontario. I am also retired.

I get masks an other supplies, like hoses, filters, maks parts, etc at http://www.cpapauction.com.

If the seller does not specify that they ship to Canada, I ask them that question. I also ask them to be sure to ship via the Postal Service, to avoid brokerage charges. I also ask them to quote me a shipping price. If they tell me a shipping price that is too high, in my opinion, I just don't bid.

The masks etc, that I bid on are all "never used", "unopened". I have had one problem with a seller and have bought severla masks there.

It's is well worth you looking there.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Nord

Post by Nord » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:36 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I am a Canadian living in Ontario. I am also retired.

I get masks an other supplies, like hoses, filters, maks parts, etc at http://www.cpapauction.com.

If the seller does not specify that they ship to Canada, I ask them that question. I also ask them to be sure to ship via the Postal Service, to avoid brokerage charges. I also ask them to quote me a shipping price. If they tell me a shipping price that is too high, in my opinion, I just don't bid.

The masks etc, that I bid on are all "never used", "unopened". I have had one problem with a seller and have bought severla masks there.

It's is well worth you looking there.
H makes a good suggestion for discounting but unfortunately you can't "try before you buy" which can be pretty important for you. You need to call some of the 800 numbers for Assistive Devices and other programs that may be able to help with your Healthcare. I am sure that there are programs that can assist when you need it but you will have to search them out and that will mean some frustrating time on the phone...

Nord

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:50 pm

I have just become a senior in Canada, and now have to pay for my own Cpap stuff because my previous insurance 'source' no longer is providing it. I get drug coverage (which I do not use at all) but even though I wrote my MP, who forwarded my letter to Ottawa, they consider Cpap to be an "assistive device" and therefore not worth insuring. I explained the difference between assistive devices (i.e. canes) and Cpap (i.e. life and death) but they obviously don't care, or don't choose to care. So I'm afraid we're on our own!

Nord

Post by Nord » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:28 pm

Julie wrote:I have just become a senior in Canada, and now have to pay for my own Cpap stuff because my previous insurance 'source' no longer is providing it. I get drug coverage (which I do not use at all) but even though I wrote my MP, who forwarded my letter to Ottawa, they consider Cpap to be an "assistive device" and therefore not worth insuring. I explained the difference between assistive devices (i.e. canes) and Cpap (i.e. life and death) but they obviously don't care, or don't choose to care. So I'm afraid we're on our own!

Hi Julie

Each Province in Canada has different health programs and in Ontario... the Assistive Devices Program in Ontario pays 75% of CPAP costs each 5 years. There is another Program that will pay the other 25% if you qualify based on Income (I think/guess). That same program probably is available to assist in other ways. I know other Provinces do not have the same programs and maybe they should have but I'm not sure why your MP would send your letter to Ottawa since Health is a Provincial Issue. That may be just a standardized comment that he/she has for constituents. You should talk with your MPP...

Nord

One Tired Puppy

Post by One Tired Puppy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Thank you Hawthorne, Julie, and Nord for your responses and suggestions.

Since my income is now very low I would be afraid of trying an auction and having the mask not fit, even if I got it half price or less, as that would still be a lot of money. I still appreciate your response though, Hawthorne.

Julie, I think speaking to our MP's can't hurt because they can let whoever needs to know that cpap supplies are necessary for breathing and staying alive, as you say.

Nord, I am going to try calling CCAC (community care access) to see if they help with the cost of the mask replacement. I have to go to Service Canada tomorrow so will ask there also.

Thanks to all of you for offering help.

Anne

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:26 pm

Two things - I am officially over retirement age (and not working - no work at all in the backwater I'm moving from in 2 wks), plus he sent the letter to Elinor Kaplan, Minister of Health (guess he just wanted some feedback himself) It's a provincial issue to some extent, but other factors are involved too.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:11 pm

As far as cpapauction goes, some masks come with 3 sizes of cushions or pillows so it's less likely that you would not get as good fit.

It may be, of course, that, as always, all masks do not work for everyone so there is still that risk.

Keep it in mind though, if you have a mask and size that works for you. You could pick up a good one on the acution site.

Good luck!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Mtnviewer

Post by Mtnviewer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:41 pm

If you can't try the masks on, which will be VERY tough in your situation without going through a DME, then go to CPAP.COM and research the masks that you are interested in, read as many of the user reviews as you can AND USE the Cpap.com fitting guides and or watch the videos for the mask that you are interesetd in, then buy through cpapauction.com. That's is about the best that you can do and it should definately narrow down your risk. That is what I did and maybe I lucked out, but the research and fitting guide etc., told me that a Mirage Quattro Small Full Face mask would work for me and fit and it definitely did fit and has helped me greatly. I paid about $60-70 for a new mask & shipping, I can't recall the exact amount, but it was worth the risk and I saved a lot of money. Now just having the "right" mask at a huge savings was not the final solution, as it took me much learning, fiddling and trial and error to get it to fit me well, not leak and not wake me up during the night. And as time went on, I customized my pillow, the headgear kept stretching and so needed adjusting, plus adjustments were needed depending on the pressure setting tests, plus fiddling with the forehead tensioner took testing, and so on. It's unlikely that a mask will work perfectly right out of the box and for each and every night for months and years.

Contrary to that, I was "professionally guided" by a respiratory therapist at an Oxylife DME office to use a Mirage nasal mask, which did not fit me, did not work for me, caused much pain and sleepless nights and had me quit CPAP for 2+ years until I found this forum, CPAP.com and CPAPAucition.com. PLUS I had to pay the GD DME $115 for the friggin' mask trial, which they lied to me and said was a "deal" and their "cost" and they didn't allow trial masks for free even if I ended up buying one from them (aka, being ripped off). I asked the DME for fitting help and got none. It was a total waste of my time and money and I could go on and on with the horrid experience by these "professionals".

So IME, you are taking a style and fitting risk either way, and either way it may cost you money. But CPAP.com has many many many resources that are free, plus this forum has many users that you can ask about which mask that you are interested in before you have to pay any money, plus YOU ARE IN CONTROL and after your research, you will likely know what will work best for you, vs. what a retail DME wants to sell you in order to maximize their profit, vs benefit you and your therapy.

Cpapauction.com is what I'd also recommend as your most affordable choice unless you find a charitable vs. greedy DME ...... Good Luck with that.

I MUST stay off my back to reduce OSA & snoring. I use a small backpack of solid styrofoam to keep me on my side (tennis balls too small), & use DIY customized soft foam pillow to keep my head in a side sleeping position to eliminate most OSA.

Penny Schofield

Post by Penny Schofield » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:07 pm

I have a c pac machine however it needs adjusting. WHERE can I take it for adjustments.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:37 pm

With a little research you should be able to find an operators manual and make the adjustments yourself.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:56 pm

Penny Schofield wrote:I have a c pac machine however it needs adjusting. WHERE can I take it for adjustments.
What CPAC machine do you have and what adjustments do you want to make?
Last edited by LSAT on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:57 pm

What machine do you have? Where did you get it and how long ago? Have you called any local DME's to see what they suggest? What kind of adjustments do you want - we may be able to help you to do it yourself (we adjust ours all the time here).

aspen

Post by aspen » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:55 pm

If I were you, I would self refer (or have your doctor refer you) to CCAC (which may be your local LHIN) for a referral to a social worker.

They will come to your home, and you can explain the situation to her.

They are AMAZING at finding funds for necessary medical equipment.

Just a thought.
Last edited by aspen on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:38 pm

And you can't read (big surprise) - that note you quoted was from yrs ago when the Conservatives (read Republicans) were in power.... Trudeau just came in last year.