S9 Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WillSucceed

S9 Question

Post by WillSucceed » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:33 pm

The S9 has just arrived in Ontario and I'm debating a purchase. I trialed the Elite II (hope I'm getting the name correct) and found that it made a high-pitched whine when I would start to inhale. The ResMed rep told me that this was motor noise, relative to using EPR at it's most-relief setting. He said that the new S9 would have a significantly quieter motor and, better insulation.

So, here's the question for you folks who have an S9: when you have EPR set to most-relief, do you notice any significant sound difference when you start to inhale? Particularly, sound that would make you think the motor is quickly revving up?

Thanks much to all who reply.
Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

dave21

Re: S9 Question

Post by dave21 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:45 am

I don't hear anything when I inhale but there was something when I exhale, but tbh after a months worth of use either I've become too accustomed to it that it doesn't matter or it has disappeared.

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:20 am

Thanks Dave! I appreciate the response.

Nobody else with an S9 willing to offer some comment/advice?
Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

Nord

Post by Nord » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:26 am

I took delivery of my S9 last week and I am very pleased with it so far. There is a learning curve certainly and I had very limited experience with other machines before choosing it.

I have the machine at my head height and on a bare wooden surface without any sound deadeners although the rear of the machine is facing 45 degrees away from me. I can hear some tube noise but it is minimal...

Upon expiration thru EPR setting at 2, I can hear a very distant higher pitch sound like music that I can't make out the song but sort of like Abba elevator music. It sounds something like a table top radio playing quietly off in some distant room. It is definitely not offensive at all. At first I didn't realize it was the machine.

I tried a Respironics Remstar M Series with C-Flex that was set to medium or 2. The machine has about double the tube noise for inhalations that the S9 has and it is lower pitched that carries the sound more. The Exhalations sounded to me exactly like the Darth Vadar from the movie... not quite that loud but noticeably loud and there was no doubt where the sound was coming from. The sound of breathing in and out would keep me awake until the rhythm would disappear. My wife noticed the difference right away when I got the S9. During the 3 weeks that I tried it, I kept it on the floor partially beneath the bed so that I couldn't hear it so much.

As an extra... I personally didn't like C-Flex and could not judge that it made any difference for me breathing although the machine said it was working. EPR for me is noticeable in the sense that it fits my breathing pattern very well and is very pleasant.

I heard an S8 II on a desktop with a mask attached but have not made any comparisons. The marketing hype by ResMed seems to suggest that it is quieter than the S8 II but perhaps you should try both for yourself if noise level is one of your more important considerations. (It was for me)

BTW... I am in the GTA and I have talked with quite a few suppliers about price/service/availability etc. PM if you are having difficulty that way...

Nord

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:11 am

DreamDiver made this audio:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49987&p=458848&hili ... er#p458848

There is a faint chirping sound on the S9 on the recording, but I could barely hear it the 1st night, then couldn't at all, on the 2nd and subsequent nights.

I had the S8, which was very quiet, and this is even more quiet. I can't tell if it's on. I fall asleep much faster now, then with the S8.

Arizona-Willie

Post by Arizona-Willie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:00 am

I have the S9 autoset and I don't hear any noises like that. But then I have some high frequency hearing loss.

To me it is 100 times quieter than my trusty ol' S8 elite, and I never considered it noisy. My owner didn't either.

She said it was much better than my snoring

Sort of a white noise.

She hasn't commented on the S9.

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks all, for the responses!

Tefan

Post by Tefan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:47 am

After a week of using the S9 (my 1st machine), the amount of noise is not a problem. What is wierd is that when I "wait" to go to sleep, I really "hear" my breathing and it made me really self concious, just a tad claustrophobic the first few days ... But I'm getting use to it already. The sound vary with inhalation/expiration, a barely noticible whine on one of those, but it's not annoying and I have really sensitive ears. Also in Quebec we can "rent with the option if buying" for 3 months, which I did, and if I change machine within those 3 months I don't lose anything. It may be an option in Ontario.
Have a nice night !

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:32 am

WillSucceed wrote:The S9 has just arrived in Ontario and I'm debating a purchase. I trialed the Elite II (hope I'm getting the name correct) and found that it made a high-pitched whine when I would start to inhale. The ResMed rep told me that this was motor noise, relative to using EPR at it's most-relief setting. He said that the new S9 would have a significantly quieter motor and, better insulation.

So, here's the question for you folks who have an S9: when you have EPR set to most-relief, do you notice any significant sound difference when you start to inhale? Particularly, sound that would make you think the motor is quickly revving up?

Thanks much to all who reply.
Thats interesting i just a person send me a message saying they get the noise when they begin to exhale.

I would suggest checking all the connections, hose to machine, tank in humidifier correctly. Also have you checked your hose for leaks?

My final suggestion would be to check the EPR inhale setting, i think it defaults to Medium but yours may be on High which might explain this. See page 19 of the Clinical Guide.