Update on my nasal pillows

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DottyG

Update on my nasal pillows

Post by DottyG » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:44 pm

Just as a sidenote: I did end up getting a ComfortGel Nasal Mask from my DME last week. However, the size he gave me (small) was too big for my face. So, he let me have a petite yesterday. Last night wasn't too bad. I'll have to wear it some more to decide. I'm thinking that I'm going to use either my LT Swift Nasal Pillows or this ComfortGel - depending on my mood and/or nose irritation every evening.

But, when he showed up yesterday, he was empty-handed. As he walked up, I said, "Carlos, where are the replacement nasal pillows you're supposed to be bringing me today?! I've asked you 3 times now, and you still don't have them!"

I was told that I don't need new pillows. The original ones I got from October are just fine. As long as I wash them every other day, I shouldn't ever need replacements.

I told him I wanted them anyway. And, that my insurance allowed for them. He said that that's just for companies to make money. That I really don't need new ones.

Obviously, this man doesn't know me very well! That answer Does. Not. Work. For. Me. I insisted that I get new ones - even if he didn't think I needed them.

He agreed to go ahead and give me some new ones. But, several times, I was reminded that he was "making a special trip" out to me to bring them to me today. He made sure I realized that this was not something he wanted to do. And, I was making him do something that was out of his way.

And, that matters to me.....how? Sorry, bub. I am sitting here telling you that the nasal pillows I have at the moment are no longer working right. I NEED NEW ONES. MY INSURANCE WILL PAY FOR NEW ONES. GET ME NEW ONES. NOW.

Sigh!
Certe, Toto, sentio nos in Kansate non iam adesse.

"Every time you are compliant in using your machine, you take that first step to better health"- DJ_Boxer

fiberfan

Re: Update on my nasal pillows

Post by fiberfan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:48 pm

I am sorry getting new pillows is such a hassle. Way to go on being persistent!

Joanne

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:08 pm

Dear Dotty,

Excellent! You took matters into your own hands and advocated for yourself. Wonderful!

Let us know how it goes with your new Comfort Gel.

Best regards,

Jersey Girl

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

banarabbyt

Post by banarabbyt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:15 pm

Anyone you can call and complain too? I'd be freaking pissed off if I were you. I always get a new supply of EVERYTHING every three months. New mask, new pillows, new tubes, and new filter. I recently found out I can request filters monthly and pillows monthly also!

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:27 pm

Dottie, good for you!

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:35 pm

Dottie,

Just to back you up a little, nasal pillows from October are not OK. I replace them every 6 weeks or so. They might go 2 or 3 months, but not since October. I don't bother to fight that battle. I bought a dozen a while back on E-bay for $12 each. That should last me year and a half.

-john-

tillymarigold

Post by tillymarigold » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:04 pm

Yeah, definitely replace them at least every 3 months. By the end of 3 months when I replace mine, I can really tell the difference in how well I sleep.

sleepyinstlouis

Post by sleepyinstlouis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:23 am

According to my DME, everything but the tank and mask frame are monthly supplies. The tank is every six months and the frame is every 3 months. Thisis on an auto shipment (finally got on that).

I'd definitely try to talk to someone higher up if you can and if you can get them to, have them put you on auto shipment so you don't have to deal with the RT's shenanigans.

Just out of curiousity, who is your DME? And is your insurance picking up the tab on your supplies? They'd be interested to know if they're paying for supplies you're not getting.

scrapper

Post by scrapper » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:56 am

Be assertive......take charge of your own therapy...............especially at first, until I get a few supplies on hand, I like to stick to the schedule exactly....

If you like the Swift LT, you'll LOVE the new FX version.........it's such a wonderful, comfortable version all around!

“Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it.” Charles Swindoll

melissa1974

Post by melissa1974 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:35 pm

Dottie-
I am glad that you were able to try the Comfortgel and liked it enough to consider using it a bit. I am also so proud of you for sticking up for yourself and demanding new nasal pillows. How ridiculous! As if it isn't enough to deal with that we need to sleep with these mask and machines in order to breathe and be healthy, now we need to cope with idiots just to get the pieces and parts we need to keep things in working order!! Sheesh!

Way to go!!

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:19 pm

Well done, Dottie.

I think if he'd hit me with "I'm making a special trip...." I'd've pointed out to him that if he had brought them when I ordered them, he wouldn't have had to make a special trip.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

hose head

Post by hose head » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:28 pm

I'm sure that the pillows on the Swift get replaced twice a month if you go by medicare guidelines. I get my supplies every three months in the mail. I told them the last time they called not to send me another one of their hoses. Their hoses are so stiff that my mask gets knocked and leaks. (I will buy my own resmed hose.) On the pillows, I switch back and forth every other day between two pairs, so they can dry well. I had one pair that didn't even work one night. If you are paying out of pocket you might try an auction site and get some cheaper than at the DME.
I'm going to get the FX as my next mask.

m