Cotton Mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jucs

Cotton Mouth

Post by jucs » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:24 am

I just swtiched to a hybrid mask and I know I am breaking now through my mouth because it seems I have cotton mouth. I have my humidifer turned up almost all the way. I know the humidifier works because with a nasal I could turn it up and get dropplings forming if too high. Is this normal with a full face and being a mouth breather?

Thanks!

bdp522

Re: Cotton Mouth

Post by bdp522 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:35 am

The humidifier is enough for most to keep the dry mouth under control. You might want to try Biotene mouthwash before bed. It's made to help with dry mouth. You can also check with your pharmacist to see what else is available in your area.

Brenda

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:03 am

jucs wrote:I just swtiched to a hybrid mask and I know I am breaking now through my mouth because it seems I have cotton mouth. I have my humidifer turned up almost all the way. I know the humidifier works because with a nasal I could turn it up and get dropplings forming if too high. Is this normal with a full face and being a mouth breather?

Thanks!
Yes, it's normal to need more humidity when you mouthbreathe.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

jucs

Post by jucs » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:09 am

Just looked at my mask. There was some tiny moisture droplets still there so the humidifier is no doubt working.

montana

Post by montana » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:30 am

Your mask must be leaking. That means air is leaking out and drying out mouth.

fidelfs

Post by fidelfs » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:34 pm

jucs wrote:I just swtiched to a hybrid mask and I know I am breaking now through my mouth because it seems I have cotton mouth. I have my humidifer turned up almost all the way. I know the humidifier works because with a nasal I could turn it up and get dropplings forming if too high. Is this normal with a full face and being a mouth breather?

Thanks!
Yes, It is normal. You are breathing from your mouth. The full face won't solve the dry mouth problem, it fixes the leak problem caused by loosing pressure from the mouth.

I tried like 2 months ago the Oracle mask, it is just the mouth piece so you breath in and out from your mouth. It made my mouth so dry that I cannot keep using it.

dwsupt

Post by dwsupt » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:12 pm

Welcome to cotton mouth land! I go from drool in the mask to the dry desert in the same night. I do swish a little water at bedtime just to help with dry mouth- it gets me to sleep, but doesn't last the night. Nose breathers won't experience this, but thats why I chose a FFM, because I new I was a mouth breather. Some nights if I get up for a bathroom break, I will swish again and that will get me by untill morning.