are nasal pillows my problem?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tbas

are nasal pillows my problem?

Post by tbas » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:55 am

I have been using my new hybrid ffm for the past week. I got some good advice on how to keep the nasal pillows from coming out. That part has been working great, so far. My problem is, this morning, I have severe nasal stuffiness, and did not feel rested when I awoke. It's always in my left nostril, due to a deviated septum, and of course because of this, I'm a mouth breather. I always have a problem with nasal congestion, but this past 2 weeks it's been worse. I started using afrin and nasal saline, which seems to work most of the time. I don't know if it's allergies or the mask adding to it. My house was cleaned yesterday, so that could be one reason, but as I said the congestion is worse lately. I'm not fond of something sticking in my nose. Do you think I should change the mask yet again? I've tried the mirage quattro and hated it...it's too confining. I feel like such a complainer, since that's all I seem to do in my posts. Help, anyone?

tbas49

BleepingBeauty

Re: are nasal pillows my problem?

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:09 am

Hi, tbas.

Some people find that increased humidity increases their congestion. For others, more humidity means less congestion. (I know it's frustrating to hear there's no single solution for all of us. We're all very different, so different things work for different people. We all need to discover what works best for us, and that's a trial-and-error process.)

You might try turning the humidifier down (or up) and see if that helps with the congestion problems you're having. Some people use the humidifier in passover mode (no heat) and find that's better for them. I would stay away from the Afrin, though. A nasal saline rinse is fine.

If you don't like nasal pillows, then yes, try another FFM. I've just ordered the Zzz-Mask (Probasics) and am excited to get it and try it out, as it's a much smaller mask than the Quattro, has no forehead support, and is all silicone (with no hard plastic parts). I still love my Hybrid, but I want a FFM that I don't have to "fix" in any way.

We're all looking for the "perfect" mask, so you're not alone.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

tbas

Post by tbas » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:11 pm

Thank you so much bleeping beauty. You're always such a big help and you're never critical. God bless you!!!!

tbas49

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:18 pm

I used a nasal pillows mask happily for 4 years -- but recently realized my favorite one was creating nasal congestion.
I learning to sleep with an Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask -- and co-incidentally, have also just ordered the Pro-Basics...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:25 pm

Dear tbas,

I use Flonase daily and Astepro (a prescription nasal spray with antihistimine) when I need it. Additionally, I have an AYR nasal rince and AYR nasal gel. I use my humidity on 2, as this is most comfortable for me.

The idea behind the mask is for you to be as comfortable as possible, so that you sleep and feel well rested. I have tried 3 masks and I am bidding on a FFM on cpap auction just to keep on hand for when I have a bad cold and cannot breathe through my nose.

Let us know what you decide. If nasal pillows are not for you, that's ok. You need to be comfortable and well rested.

Warmly,

Jersey Girl

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:55 pm

tbas wrote:Thank you so much bleeping beauty. You're always such a big help and you're never critical. God bless you!!!!
Thanks, tbas. Nice of you to say.

I try to help when I can because I've gotten such valuable info and suggestions from others here. Just trying to pay it forward.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

tbas

Post by tbas » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Thank you & bless you all!!!!!!!

tbas49

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:23 pm

FWIW, my advice would be not to abandon the Hybrid yet unless you had another FF mask that you know works for you, which it doesn't appear you do. It may be situational, such as a cold or your setting on the humidifier or something else that doesn't relate to the Hybrid. If you abandon the Hybrid prematurely, you won't know. That said, I had to abandon the Hybrid at some point, although I may eventually try it again. I never figured out what the issue was, but I woke up more than my usual way-too-much on it. I don't know if it was having something in my nose or the test pulses from my System One or who knows.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly