leaking masks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tiredascanbe

leaking masks

Post by tiredascanbe » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:13 am

Does anyone have any advice regarding nasal mask leakage? Everytime I move around (which I try not to) it leaks, but if the mask is too tight then I can't go to sleep....

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:02 am

What mask are you using?

Most likely the answer is to get one of the maks that work and not the "cheap" one you were given.

This is one of the most common problems people have with CPAP.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

53now

Masks

Post by 53now » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:49 am

Mirage Activa and the Ultra Mirage are two of the better ones with regards to "Not leaking". Both are made by ResMed. All faces are different size and shape. It's difficult to make a mask that is "one size fits all" (and of course the companies make tons of money because people like me buy several masks ....trying to find "that perfect fit")
The Activa is easy to adjust....no pressure points to speak of ....and is very comfortable. It is rather large.....If you have a small face, you might want to try the Shallow cushion as opposed to the Standard size.
The Ultra Mirage is much smaller than the Activa but it is still a good mask ...and is my second choice.
Activa ........ https://www.cpap.com/productpage/767
Ultra Mirage https://www.cpap.com/productpage/25

happy searching
Rich

SleepyGuy

Post by SleepyGuy » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:58 pm

I see that the Activa comes in standard and large. I assume the large is for people with bigger noses? Does anyone know?

Spiritus

Post by Spiritus » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:00 pm

SleepyGuy wrote:I see that the Activa comes in standard and large. I assume the large is for people with bigger noses? Does anyone know?
The Activa actually has 6 sizes, small standard, small shallow, medium standard, medium shallow, large standard and large shallow. if you go to a ResMed dealer, they will have templates that can help estimate the mask size for you.

Rob

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:25 pm

I may be completely wrong, but I think the ResMed Mirage Activa comes in only three sizes - Shallow, Standard, Large. I believe the other sizes mentioned are for other masks by ResMed. ResMed's habit of keeping the word "Mirage" in the name of so many different styles sure can get confusing! They make good masks, though, imho!

Spiritus

Post by Spiritus » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:51 pm

rested gal wrote:I may be completely wrong, but I think the ResMed Mirage Activa comes in only three sizes - Shallow, Standard, Large. I believe the other sizes mentioned are for other masks by ResMed. ResMed's habit of keeping the word "Mirage" in the name of so many different styles sure can get confusing! They make good masks, though, imho!
Hi,

I checked, and I think you're right. The reason i thought there were six sizes was because that's what i was told when i was getting fitted.

Rob