New to nasal pillow

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
akeegan

New to nasal pillow

Post by akeegan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:10 pm

I am new to nasal pillows (Swift LT) and to the ResMed AutoSet II. I have run a two-week titration test per my doc on autoset. He called me the other day to tell me he would like me to run straight CPAP at 10.0. (He also seemed unconcerned that I knew how to do that .)

What found is that on straight CPAP at 10.0 I slept longer between wake-ups but would "mouth ventilate." I know this because I woke up once specifically noticing this condition. I had a very, very, dry mouth in the morning. I went back to autoset mode at 7.0 to 11.0. Should I drop my CPAP to 9.0?

I've noticed my numbers don't seem to change much whatever I do. I run about a median 95th centile AI of 0.2, and HI of 2.5 or so. Do I even HAVE apnea?

Thanks,
Al Keegan

fidelfs

Re: New to nasal pillow

Post by fidelfs » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:28 pm

I am talking about my own experience. Nasal Pillows need less pressure than nasal or full face.

I had titrated my self from what the Doctor told me 16 to 12 and I saw a little increased AHI from ~0.8 to ~1.4 not that bad.

The difference is my hypo increased a little so my AHI had increased, but I think I still under good range.

I went down 1 by 1 keeping it for a week and checking every day if i noticed anything.

Do you thing you open your mouth because the pressure? I don't think lower it down from 10 to 9 it would make much a difference.

akeegan

Post by akeegan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:36 pm

fidelfs,

I never had a mouth-open problem until I went straight CPAP at 10.0 with a nasal pillow. I was using a ResMed S7 Lightweight at 6.0 and a ResMed Activa mask before my upgrades with no problems. It's evident, though, from my new titration that a CPAP of 6.0 was under the therapeutic value.

Oh, I will NOT tape my mouth closed (a problem I've had all my life .)

Thanks,
Al

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:14 pm

Dear Al,

I wonder if using the EPR might help - a setting of 1, 2, or 3 on the exhale. If it doesn't and you still find that you've "opened your mouth", then I'm afraid that taping or a chin strap might be in order. Strange, that you didn't do that with the nasal mask, but only with nasal pillows. I have my nasal pillows with pressure set to 8. For whatever reason, my mouth stays shut with both nasal pillows and a nasal mask.

I say this with the utmost respect and kindness, tonight, just shut your mouth!

Your Friend,

Jersey Girl

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.