How old were you when

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rested gal

Re: How old were you when

Post by rested gal » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:14 am

October 2003, at almost 55 years old.

That was when I diagnosed myself and started self-treating with a borrowed dinosaur of a CPAP machine. There's no doubt I've had OSA since my early teens, considering comments I've heard all my life about my terrible snoring.

I'm 65 now and have been getting GREAT treatment every single night since I started using "cpap" a little over six years ago.

How I got started on cpap:
Jan 25, 2005 subject: not diagnosed yet, many ? brand new here my story and Poisson's reply with good reasons why a PSG sleep study is important.

My eventual sleep study:
Nov 19, 2005 subject: First Sleep Study...finally! - rested gal sleepydave on that board is StillAnotherGuest and Muffy here on cpaptalk. Many thanks to him for helping me get a real sleep study. Well worth waiting for!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

leonardlake

Post by leonardlake » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:20 am

I was 47 in November 1999 when I was diagnosed. I was always a mouthbreather but I think my apnea was brought about by a weight gain when I was 45 (which I have yet to lose:).

raggedykat

Post by raggedykat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:27 pm

I started in August 09 at the age of 58. I think I started having problems with sleep apnea in the early 90's. Wish I would have started then.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
Mohandas Gandhi

SnoresLikeWalrus

Post by SnoresLikeWalrus » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:56 pm

54 years old; probably have had it for a long time though (just started about a month ago).

rheumrn

Post by rheumrn » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:23 pm

I started 25 days ago after my Family doctor advised a sleep study in Jan. 2010. I had an increase in fasting blood sugar level (105), 6 month weight loss plateau (40 pounds lost and then nothing more), high blood pressure and daytime fatigue. Driving had become dangerous due to the possibility of going off the road. My husband had complained about my loud snoring for 31 years but I just didn't put all the symptoms together.

I am sure that delaying an OSA diagnosis and starting therapy at the age of 57 has resulted in the destruction of many brain cells but at least I am on the right track now. I am just lucky that my doctor recognized that OSA could be a part of my other health problems. My sleep doctor seems to have a good followup plan with an initial monthly visit, then visits every 6 months. I do plan to be proactive about my therapy to be sure that I am making progress.

Just changing from a Quattro to a Liberty Mask has improved my AHI from: sleep study (60); Quattro (11); Liberty (5). I know from this forum that the AHI from different cpap machines are not always comparable but at least the numbers are improving.

Cosette

Post by Cosette » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:43 pm

I was just shy of 73. Seems awfully old to be dealing with all the masks, leaks, sore nose, and sore forehead. I wonder if it would have been easier if I had started years ago.

pixelyzed

Post by pixelyzed » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:18 pm

I'm 45... I started 8 days ago

Mask: ResMed Airfit N30
Diagnosed with severe apnea in 2009 (43+ events/hour with very long events)

sassy9

Post by sassy9 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:10 pm

I always told people that the problem with me is that "I don't sleep" I blamed it my history of getting up multiple times a night with my two babies. When my Doctor ordered a sleep study because I was feeling "tingly sensations", muscle aches, and drowsiness while driving, I thought she was crazy- besides, I never sleep in strange places- how were they going to get anything from a sleep study? I was sure that I had fibro or even worse, onset of MS. I was diagnosed last month with mild/moderate OSA- which I do think I aquired about 7 years ago through back to back pregnancies. I'm still feeling the fibro feeling, and am going through more testing, but seem more energized with my CPAP treatment. I understand your question- two of my friends are training for a marathon and I just want to make it through the day without a nap! I'm 36. Never woulda thought. Better to have found it than to give yourself a hard time for years because you aren't keeping up with the status quo. Hang in there!
Machine: ResMed S9
Mask: Swift LT for her

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:22 pm

Dear sleepsalot,

I am 47 years old and just started with CPAP a little over a month ago. That said, I have been suffering from fatigue for over 7 years. I have been through more blood work than you can imagine trying to figure out what the problem with, until recently, when my I needed to have a surgery and my surgeon instisted that I have a sleep study to find out if I had sleep apnea, as he did not want any surprises when I was put under general anesthesia. Smart man. I finally wake up feeling rested and ready to face the day. I no longer feel as though I am so exhausted that I am always on the verge of getting sick.

I know that you are only 21, but I am so proud of you that you are taking care of your health in this way. I can barely get my 23 year old to make time to go to the dentist!

Many questions are asked and answered on this forum, so feel free to ask away no matter what the question, there are people here to help you.

Warmly,

Jersey Girl

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

mdoc367

Post by mdoc367 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:35 pm

One month shy of my 55th birthday when I started cpap therapy in June 2009.