Hose covers at the dollar store!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rickskids

Hose covers at the dollar store!!!

Post by rickskids » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:13 pm

I've been looking for a hose cover for weeks...my old tube socks, although effective, are not very attractive. I'm not very handy with a sewing machine or I would make my own and the local seamstress wanted eight dollars to sew one together for me...and that did not include the material. I was about to order one on CPAPAuction.com but $14.99 + shipping was more than I was willing to pay for something I knew could not cost more than a dollar to make. So this afternoon I pop into the Dollar Tree and I'm walking the isles looking for what might work and BANG!!!!! I see these scarfs, I look further and I see they are hollowed out and double stiched on the ends. These are knitted scarfs with stripes, I picked out four. One is a beautiful chrocaol grey and and confederate blue and a christmas one, red and green. I cut a small hole in both ends and slid my hose through and I have a wonderful cover...for one dollar. I wish I could send one to all of you that have been so helpful and supportive...maybe I can any ideas how?

Muse-Inc

Re: Hose covers at the dollar store!!!

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:27 pm

Buy a pkg of small ponytail elastic scrunchies and put one on each end of the scarf (over the hose near each end) to prevent cold air from seeping side the hose cover -- works great!

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:32 pm

I like how you think! Normally I'm a queen of creative thinking, but I slept on this one. Just a couple weeks ago I saw some scarves like you described at a thrift shop. I remember thinking they were too narrow to be of any use in cold weather. A hose cover didn't cross my mind. Thanks for the tip.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:42 pm

Wow. What a good idea, rickskids! And what a good way to tighten the scarf at both ends, Muse!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:41 am

Bump, ouch!! Very helpful!! Thanks RicksKids!! That is very creative

SG

Pad A Cheek
Location: Virginia, In the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains

Post by Pad A Cheek » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:48 am

I think that is an awesome idea. When people think outside the box, they often can figure out a creative use for everyday items.

And you got them in a wide variety of colors, even Christmas? That it too neat.

Oh and a hint, if when you get ready to slide the hose through the scarf, put the rubber end of the hose in a plastic baggie or put saran wrap over the end secured with a rubber band if necessary.

Karen

SaltLakeJan

Post by SaltLakeJan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:02 pm

I'm going to head to the Dollar Store this afternoon. Hope they have some scarves you described and the gel decals that were suggested on another thread to protect noses when using ff masks. Great idea and creatitive thinking.

Jan

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:31 pm

Great idea!! Thanks for sharing it.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

SuperGeeky

Post by SuperGeeky » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:51 am

I wanted to resurrect this Topic, posted last November. 'Rain Out' is not a pleasant experience, 4:00 A.M.
The price is right for this solution

Stay Dry!!!

SG

Judy R

Post by Judy R » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:00 pm

WOW!!! That's a fantastic idea! Somebody had their thinking cap on . Thanks so much for sharing your great idea with all of us.

frazzled-snoozer

Post by frazzled-snoozer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:50 am

This is so awesome! It gave me another idea. I'd been thinking I'd make my own hose cover but I don't have any thick fabric laying around. And it didn't seem cost effective to go buy any. But hearing about the scarves made me think about all the tons of scrap yarn I've got around. Instead of sewing one I should just crochet or knit one and it would be even more warm than fabric.

So, thanks for the brainstorm!
Frazzled-Snoozer

Judy R

Post by Judy R » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:49 am

frazzled-snoozer wrote:This is so awesome! It gave me another idea. I'd been thinking I'd make my own hose cover but I don't have any thick fabric laying around. And it didn't seem cost effective to go buy any. But hearing about the scarves made me think about all the tons of scrap yarn I've got around. Instead of sewing one I should just crochet or knit one and it would be even more warm than fabric.

So, thanks for the brainstorm!
Smart Idea!!! I Crochet too as well as sew. I had some quilted fabric laying around the house, and made my hose cover, but I sure would like to have a few more just to be able to switch them out, so Crocheting one sounds like a great idea. I've got tons of yarn, so thanks for the idea! You guy's are such a huge help! I don't know what we'd do without all of you.

Cosette

Post by Cosette » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:57 pm

SaltLakeJan wrote:I'm going to head to the Dollar Store this afternoon. Hope they have some scarves you described and the gel decals that were suggested on another thread to protect noses when using ff masks. Great idea and creatitive thinking.

Jan
Please tell me about the gel decals; I can't find the thread.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:09 pm

Silly question, but why do you need a hose cover?

Madtown hoser

Post by Madtown hoser » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Guest,
2 main reasons...
1. helps with rainout
2. makes the hose more comfortable on the skin.

(Bonnie, posting under my niece's username cause I can't post under my own for some reason)