AHI creeping up... what gives?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cygnusia

AHI creeping up... what gives?

Post by Cygnusia » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:02 am

Lately I've noticed that my AHI average is on the rise. Unfortunately, all I have to go on (for now) is what's on the display.

Even when I was going through my mask selection and swapping them out, it rarely went over a 2.0... now it's at 3.2 and rising. I definitely don't feel like I've been sleeping comfortably lately, and my chest was actually hurting a little this morning.

Could having a mask that's being worn too tight cause this?

Look in my dreams, They're getting stranger by the minute

--Porcupine Tree

Autopapdude

Re: AHI creeping up... what gives?

Post by Autopapdude » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:22 am

Without full data, it is almost impossible to speculate.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:09 am

Like someone posted to me during a bad time a few months ago...you're under a lot of stress and you just got that discouraging turndown, this is the most likely cause of rising events...ignoring the increased events you're probably not sleeping well and that would be true whether you have SDB or not. Do you practice any stress management techniques? If not, it's a good time to start. Getting some daily exercise? If not, it's a good time to start...slow at first. Try to be kind to yourself right now because stress takes it toll on all of us. You're doing great by being on CPAP therapy; it's a journey with ups and downs...watch your numbers to see if this is a trend or a temporary detour. Wish you better times my friend...and better AHIs!

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Cygnusia

Post by Cygnusia » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:46 am

Thanks, Muse... nope, no stress management or hardly any exercise except for housework. I have anxiety problems and depression, so it's hard to get motivated... pretty much all the time!

I was actually starting to get upbeat and feel better until I got turned down for that job. My wife isn't sleeping well either, but that's pregnancy and sinus related... she's working toward month number 8...

--Porcupine Tree

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:58 am

Cygnusia wrote:..hardly any exercise except for housework. I have anxiety problems and depression, so it's hard to get motivated...she's working toward month number 8...
I hear ya re the housework! Here's what I've done...read carbonman's signature and think about it. I only allow myself to read (love to read! wonderful escape from my no-job, $ worries) when I'm on my recumbent exercise bike...I get to eat some pumpkin seeds too. Not a sure 'cure' but it adds incentive! Being a night owl, I have found out I exercise best late at night which does not affect my falling or staying asleep, so I usually exercise when my mom goes to bed at 10 PM (she has a job *sigh*).

Month 8..does any women sleep well in month 8? Hope you're able to still be excited over the baby despite the challenges. It is a magic time and she needs as much support as you can muster.

Cygnusia

Post by Cygnusia » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:11 pm

I try to help her as much as I can. It's been an extremely rough pregnancy... she's hurting a lot these days and we're going to bring that up during our next meeting with our OB doc tomorrow.

I WANT to be excited... but all I can think about is "I HAVE to be employed within x days or we're going to be in trouble!" During the days after the interview I was pretty upbeat and positive and wifey could tell that I was getting excited about it. Now... everything is just scary right now...

--Porcupine Tree

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:58 pm

I'm sorry, I really am. This economy sucks. Congress gave big biz huge tax breaks to take US job overseas and now big biz wonders why Americans are NOT buying their products...ya can't buy when ya haven't got funds 'cause you're uneremployed or not working. Wish ya well in spite of it all.

sthnreb

Post by sthnreb » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi Muse, I'm in metro Atlanta, Gwinnett. I don't seem that many from GA and area on here so saying hi.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi Sthnreb and Muse, i have a brother up your way in Stone Mountain each year when he comes down for vacation i try to get him to go get a sleep study and get on the CPAP, He works long eratic hours and drives delivery routes like i do and has large football player frame and neck.Hard to convince people to go get checked out. take care jon

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:00 pm

Birddog wrote:Hi Sthnreb and Muse...
Hi back! Turns out we live near each other! I hope your brother eventually listens...untreated OSA has such dire consequences.

sthnreb

Post by sthnreb » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Hey Jon, you are right about that! I don't know why people don't want to take a sleep test, unless they don't have insurance and have to pay for it out of pocket. Still, some may not want to sleep with a mask and hose on at night and just put it off. Whatever their reasons, they are sure missing out on sleep. Stone Mountain is near both of us.