Sores from mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
raos

Sores from mask

Post by raos » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:21 am

I am a new CPAP user. I have been using the machine for just about a week now. At first I thought it was just a coincidence, but now I am convinced that the mask is causing sores on my face. Last night was the first night I was able to sleep the entire night with it on my face. Previous to that I had what I thought was a zit on the bridge of my nose, then to the right of my nose and then directly under my nose. It was very painful to have the mask on these spots so I could never make it through an entire night. Well this morning I woke up still wearing the mask and when I looked in the mirror I saw the impression from the mask still on my face. Sure enough it lined up exactly on my sores.

Is this a known issue or am I just lucky to have this happening to me? I have requested a new type of mask from my provider, but I really wanted to use this kind as I move around a lot at night and during my sleep study had less issues with the one I currently have. Is there anything I can try to alleviate this or is a new mask in my future?

I listed my equipment in my profile, but I am not home to confirm that is exactly what I have. If it is not exact then it is at least very close.

If it matters, I have a mild case of sleep apnea. my setting is 7.

pagebypage

Re: Sores from mask

Post by pagebypage » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:55 am

This is a pretty big issue in the cpap community! I had the same problem with the mask you list, as well as with many others. The Quattro has a dialer on the piece that presses against the forehead to help control this problem. It is a full face mask instead of the nasal mask you have. Other remedies are using a nasal pillows mask or a hybrid. I use the Liberty hybrid. Nasal pillows may take some adjusting to. They tend to rub your nostrils raw, but that usually disappears after a few days. During the adjustment period, you can get some relief and acclimatizing yourself by switching back and forth with the mask you now have.
Most of us have gone through experimenting with many different masks. Last night I was looking through my bathroom drawers and found 5 different masks that I no longer use. I have 3 others that I use on a regular basis. And I have given a couple away and returned a couple to my supplier. Been on cpap for almost 5 years now and I think I have finally found the best mask for me, but I am always keeping my eye out for one better.
Good luck to you in finding the right fit.

raos

Post by raos » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:00 am

Thanks for the quick reply. It is good to know that this is not an abnormal thing, but I guess it is unfortunate that it is not abnormal as well. I guess I will have to try another style. Thanks for your help!

KengEsq

Post by KengEsq » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:01 am

raos wrote:I am a new CPAP user. I have been using the machine for just about a week now. At first I thought it was just a coincidence, but now I am convinced that the mask is causing sores on my face. Last night was the first night I was able to sleep the entire night with it on my face. Previous to that I had what I thought was a zit on the bridge of my nose, then to the right of my nose and then directly under my nose. It was very painful to have the mask on these spots so I could never make it through an entire night. Well this morning I woke up still wearing the mask and when I looked in the mirror I saw the impression from the mask still on my face. Sure enough it lined up exactly on my sores.

Is this a known issue or am I just lucky to have this happening to me? I have requested a new type of mask from my provider, but I really wanted to use this kind as I move around a lot at night and during my sleep study had less issues with the one I currently have. Is there anything I can try to alleviate this or is a new mask in my future?

I listed my equipment in my profile, but I am not home to confirm that is exactly what I have. If it is not exact then it is at least very close.

If it matters, I have a mild case of sleep apnea. my setting is 7.
You have stumbled upon a common problem - finding the right mask with the right fit that does not cause sores or marks. I could not wear the mask you use but it may be too tight if it leaves an impression on your face. Try wearing it looser and don't worry about little leaks. Or try a different mask. I use the Activa Nasal mask with great comfort and success (not the Activa LT - the LT does not work for me). However, like most CPAP/APAP users, I have tried more than 20 masks always looking for the perfect one. So far, the Activa Nasal and the ZZZ fullface masks work well for me. Good luck mask hunting.

raos

Post by raos » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:08 am

I was actually surprised that it left marks on my face as I felt it was not tight at all. I have played with the straps every night (aside from last night) trying to get it as loose as possible, but without leaks. Since my pressure is so low, do you still think little leaks are OK? I kind of though since the pressure is so low already that even a little leak percentage wise would be pretty big.

KengEsq

Post by KengEsq » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:49 am

raos wrote:I was actually surprised that it left marks on my face as I felt it was not tight at all. I have played with the straps every night (aside from last night) trying to get it as loose as possible, but without leaks. Since my pressure is so low, do you still think little leaks are OK? I kind of though since the pressure is so low already that even a little leak percentage wise would be pretty big.
Your machine automatically adjusts for leaks so I suggest you not worry about leaks for now and just get a well-fitting comfortable mask or hope the one you have works for you when you get it adjusted.

raos

Post by raos » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:52 am

Oh wow I didn't know the machine adjusted for leaks. Thanks for that info. I will try a much looser setting tonight and see if that helps.

mdintx

Post by mdintx » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:51 pm

You may also want to consider applying a barrier to the area where you have the sore. Some people (like myself) use gentle paper tape. Others use a bandaid or fabric such as the PadACheek nose bridge protector.

raos

Post by raos » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:03 pm

I tried using cotton balls the first few nights, but it didn't see to help.