Traveling with C-Pap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SusanCT

Traveling with C-Pap

Post by SusanCT » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:52 am

I have only been using my C-Pap machine for less than a week and had to go out of town for one night. I had just changed to a full mask from a pillow system and just didn't want to bother having to travel with my machine. So, I didn't take it with me.
Just wondering if any of you travel with your machine. How do you get it through the airport security? Any little helps that might help with my next trip. I do plan on taking it with me from now on.

SleepyT

Re: Traveling with C-Pap

Post by SleepyT » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:07 am

Susan...glad you will be taking it with you in the future. I wouldn't be without it for even one night! Getting thru airport security with a CPAP is no big deal. They will check it over and it may delay you a minute or two...but nothing to worry about.

"Knowledge is power."

mdintx

Post by mdintx » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:21 am

Traveled with it for a weekend trip to Santa Fe. The TSA screeners will want to test it. They're generally pretty good about the whole thing. I take mine in the case and unzip it open as it goes through the X-ray. They check it and give it back to you and you're on your way. I take a lock and store it in my larger bag when I'm out of the room.

BarryBlust

Post by BarryBlust » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:17 am

It's a good idea to obtain a letter from your doctor stating you need the machine for a medical condition (just in case). I have been normally passed through security, and had the machine tested for any explosives and drugs (took about 15 minutes), but never stopped. Since now airlines are severely limiting carry on baggage, I often will tuck some odd bits of clothing, etc. into the carry bag... and for overnight trips the cpap bag is my only luggage.

Bon voyage Susan

potholerepairman

Post by potholerepairman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:59 am

hello, If you check the bag at an airport do the screeners tend to bother you or is lost and stolen the real issue?The reason I ask is if you have a backup thats not too expensive it seems a lot more convient to not carrry it on.

SleepyT

Post by SleepyT » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:03 am

potholerepairman wrote:hello, If you check the bag at an airport do the screeners tend to bother you or is lost and stolen the real issue?The reason I ask is if you have a backup thats not too expensive it seems a lot more convient to not carrry it on.
i would say neither. the issue, i believe, is how the baggage loaders would handle your CPAP bag.....or should i say how the loaders would throw your bag! seriously...i wouldn't let my CPAP out of my sight....

"Knowledge is power."

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:22 am

I have never checked mine (and wouldn't!). If packed correctly, I doubt there would be damage, but why take the chance? And lost luggage is almost unheard of these days, but again...

One tip: Your CPAP doesn't count as a carryon, but ONLY if there are no non-medical items packed with it. Stick your toothberush in the case with it and all bets are off.

There is a free, downloadable tag to laminate and put on your CPAP bag here:

http://www.mindspring.com/~jimw203@mind ... -Tag_1.pdf

If your flight looks pretty full, your CPAP can often get you pre-boarding so you'll have space to stow it close to your seat. Just ask at the gate telling them you have medical equipment that must stay with you. I've never been refused.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

5aces

Post by 5aces » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:13 pm

Hey Linkc,looks like you're standing next to the coin operated viewfinder,like at Niagara Falls!

Thanks for the luggage tag,I missed that if it was posted before.

Still having fun with your favorite sparring partners,I see. Yar!
ImageImage

HalleysMom

Post by HalleysMom » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:22 pm

I have flown a couple times with my machine. The first time I took everything. It was a bit of a hassle getting through security because I didn't know I was supposed to treat my machine like a laptop by taking it out of the case and put it through X-ray by itself. The second time I flew, I opted to leave my humidifier at home and just take the CPAP. That made for easier traveling and it wasn't too bad to sleep a few nights without the humidifier.

potholerepairman

Post by potholerepairman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:26 pm

thanks everyone, great tips was not even thinking about a baggage guy destroying my cpap.Just got the zz-pap ,(cpap price matched-very cool) its got a tiny little carry case even a lazy person like myself won't mind dragging around an airport.The tag will make it look legit cause I lack the medical necessity paperwork only because forgot to get the doc to sign it.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:36 pm

5aces wrote:looks like you're standing next to the coin operated viewfinder
I WISH it was coin-operated. It takes folding money to operate that bad boy! Just another of my vices. <sigh>

Does your Niagara pic look strangely similar to the money you could have saved with Geico? I think it's the eyes...

(Now you can't look at the pic WITHOUT seeing that stupid commercial, can ya??? )

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

elader

Post by elader » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:09 pm

I take it everywhere. Haven't missed a night in 13 months. I have a backpack that is intended for computer and camera gear, but hold computer and cpap just fine. TSA always swabs it. No biggie.

I am not going to wake up in the middle of the night, nearly suffocated, soaked in sweat, with my heartrate at 130bpm ever again.

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:55 pm

potholerepairman wrote:The tag will make it look legit cause I lack the medical necessity paperwork only because forgot to get the doc to sign it.
It is not necessary to have any medical necessity paperwork unless you are going to use it on-board the aircraft. I don't have any paperwork other than my script and I have never been asked for it, even when using my CPAP on-board an aircraft. I carry my prescription in my pants pocket so I could buy a mask or rent a CPAP machine in an emergency when out of town. I carry my script on my person in the event I get separated from my carry-on luggage, such as in the case of an emergency evacuation of the aircraft.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:22 pm

For those of you who have traveled with your humidifier - do you carry distilled water with you? I've heard that you can bring a water bottle if it is for "medical" purposes. I've been concerned about finding distilled at some destinations...

Scarlet834

Post by Scarlet834 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:34 pm

I'm so glad to see this thread, as I am about to take a business trip for a week, my first time with my little CPAP. When I was set up I was told to use distilled or bottled water. Just not tap. So, my plan is to use bottled drinking water at my destination. I don't think it will be a big thing for the short run.