C-Flex+

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TennesseeCattleman1

C-Flex+

Post by TennesseeCattleman1 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:58 pm

Has anyone had a chance to try out the new c-flex+, if so how does it compare to regular c-flex ?

Babette

Re: C-Flex+

Post by Babette » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:44 am

You mean on the new Respironics offering that replaces the M Series? I don't think anyone here has bought it yet. Or if they have, they haven't written a report. Most of us are waiting for the other guy to buy it first and report on it.

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:29 pm

Contact socalmonkey. He has one of the new PR System One machines and had tried most of the buttons. He has tried it but I don't remember what he said about it.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

TennesseeCattleman1

Post by TennesseeCattleman1 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:03 am

Most of us are waiting for someone else to try it first, me included. Socalmonkey stated he hasn't tried c-flex+ in his "Re: Big Update" thread, but that could have changed by now.

jdm5

Post by jdm5 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:25 am

I have it, but this is my first CPAP machine...today is my one week anniversary!

Happy to answer any questions you may have, but I'm probably not experienced enough to say with any certainty the differences.

TennesseeCattleman1

Post by TennesseeCattleman1 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:56 am

I'm surprised someone on this forum hasn't been curious enough to try c-flex+ yet.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:31 am

TennesseeCattleman1 wrote:I'm surprised someone on this forum hasn't been curious enough to try c-flex+ yet.
Philips Respironics neglect of providing "user software" and not allowing online stores to sell users their "Encore Pro 2" software for the System One series machines outweighs any curiosity I might ever have about "C-Flex + ."

C-Flex plus sounds like it would feel pretty much like the smoother inhale/exhale/inhale/exhale transitions that A-Flex gives in the M Autopap. I do like A-Flex and already have a machine that gives me that. One that I can use Encore Viewer software with.

From what I've read about the Philips Respironics "System One" machines so far, there are several other brands I'd rather use. Too bad that they didn't do some checking with actual experienced users before coming out with their System One series.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

midnightdweary

Post by midnightdweary » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:14 am

I'd like some more info also. Other than the "beep" and software issue, are there other drawbacks?

Does it really provide better therapy? (If it does, I could work around those issues)

I'm still trying to decide what back-up machine to get.

Jay

millich

Post by millich » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:30 am

rested gal wrote:From what I've read about the Philips Respironics "System One" machines so far, there are several other brands I'd rather use. :
Which brands would those be?

{I've been on CPAP for 3 months using the M series APAP. My insurance changes in January. I'm not sure what that does to my machine agreement so I'm trying to keep current on machine options. Thanks!}

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:56 am

millich wrote:
rested gal wrote:From what I've read about the Philips Respironics "System One" machines so far, there are several other brands I'd rather use. :
Which brands would those be?

{I've been on CPAP for 3 months using the M series APAP. My insurance changes in January. I'm not sure what that does to my machine agreement so I'm trying to keep current on machine options. Thanks!}
The machine you have is one of my favorites. I wouldn't hesitate to get it again -- Respironics REMstar Auto with A-Flex M series.

The other brands that I'd buy -- ResMed (but not their "Escape" model) and Covidien (but not their "Intro" model).
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

blakepro

Post by blakepro » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:44 pm

I just upgraded to the PR system one Pro a few weeks ago. Prior to that, I was using the Remstar plus by respironics. I think it was one of their first machines with C-Flex (first generation c-flex) (old one was like 5+ years old)

I have been using C-Flex + the last few weeks on the new machine and I do have to say that I feel like it is working a whole lot better than my old machine with old c-flex.

It feels like it is keeping track of my breathing pattern and adjusting the pressure at exactly the right times. Its anticipating when I'm going to start to exhale and inhale. The old c-flex was more reactionary, this one is more pro-active. When I reach the end of my exhale, its starts to ramp the pressure back up right before I even try to draw in a breath. The older one seemed like it waited for me to push against the pressure before it dropped it, and it waited for me to inhale the expelled air that was residing in my mask before it would bump the pressure back up. The new one is also much quieter and I feel like its providing me better therapy than before.

I did use a Resmed S8 II auto-pap for 30 days prior to getting the PR system one and I have to say that I like the PR system one more than the S8 II auto.

I obviously dont have a data solution, so I cant give anyone any hard stats on it, but I can say that how I FEEL, is better. Its easier to sleep, and I feel like its working great.

cinco777

Post by cinco777 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:55 pm

Rested gal wrote
The other brands that I'd buy -- ResMed (but not their "Escape" model) and Covidien (but not their "Intro" model).
I have two rather new M-Series Autos (early April '09) with A-Flex (primary and backup, I switch every 3 months) but will purchase a non-Respironics brand machine next year. I'm mostly pleased with my machine(s) but don't like the "whining sound" during inhale/exhale, the lack of software support for their newest machine (PR1) which takes it out of consideration for me, and their complete disregard for end-user needs/wants. I'm the technical type so it's never too early to start researching my next machine purchase. Thanks a lot for sharing your "I'd buy" list of machines.

I live in my body. I know my body better than anyone else in the world. I may consult a medical professional for advice, but no one, and I do mean NO ONE tells me what I am permitted to do. - Kiralynx

TennesseeCattleman1

Post by TennesseeCattleman1 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:56 am

Thank you blakepro for the review on c-flex+ & the PR System One Pro.

jdm5

Post by jdm5 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:02 am

I used C-Flex+ last night for the first time (sorry TennesseeCattleman1 - I did receive your PM just hadn't had a chance to try it).

I would agree with blakepro - it seems like C-Flex+ was measuring my exhalations, and it sensed when I got to the end and began blowing air back in again. Likewise on inhalations - it anticipated when I was ready to switch direction and was prepared for it. I liked it, and will continue using it.

(again, this is my first CPAP, so blakepro or others may be able to provide more fulsome information)

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:40 am

C-Flex is supposed to allow the regular pressure back in before exhalation is finished.

That can feel disconcerting to some people, causing them to feel like the machine is trying to "force" them to start inhaling again before they're ready to. Some people begin breathing faster and faster, trying to keep up with what it feels like the machine is doing. See WillSucceed's posts about "breath stacking" when he tried to use C-Flex:

viewtopic/t808/Breath-Stacking.html

viewtopic/t3609/Painful-Bloating-and-Trapped-Air.html

I liked (and got along well with) C-Flex. I liked A-Flex even more, as A-Flex seems smoother to me that just C-Flex. There's not as much "bump" in the inhale/exhale transitions with A-Flex as there is with just C-Flex.

I've not tried "C-Flex +", but I've got a feeling that what Philips Respironics is now calling "C-Flex + " in their newest System One series of machines is really just another name for the "A-flex" they introduced in their previous M series Auto before Respironics was bought by Philips. Just my guess.
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435