How do YOU dry the hose?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
katcw

Re: How do YOU dry the hose?

Post by katcw » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:55 am

My extra hose has been hanging for about 10 days, and still isn't dry. Maybe it is the excess humidity we're having in the northeast US these days

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:20 am

DreamStalker wrote:I would take it outside and swing it around over your head for a few minutes to get as much moisture out as possible
And you get an amazing scary noise out of it, too! I highly recommend doing the hose-swinging late at night while walking thru the neiborhood...

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

hisjr

Post by hisjr » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:40 pm

hi, i bought a clip that holds the hose and affixed it to a hanger and i put on my ceiling fan. after washing it i swing it around like a lasso (earlier mentioned) to clear as much as possible and then its on my ceiling fan for about 10 minutes. an item called "the hurricane" just came out that dries everything. i've been on cpap.com for years and i hate to link another suppliers item but maybe they can carry it if it fills a need. below are the links.

The Hurricane CPAP Dryer
https://secure.mvapmed.com/mvap/AMAZING ... 01&eq=&Tp=

CPAP Tubing Hanger
https://secure.mvapmed.com/mvap/AMAZING ... 50&eq=&Tp=

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:04 pm

hisjr wrote:hi, i bought a clip that holds the hose and affixed it to a hanger and i put on my ceiling fan. after washing it i swing it around like a lasso (earlier mentioned) to clear as much as possible and then its on my ceiling fan for about 10 minutes. an item called "the hurricane" just came out that dries everything. i've been on cpap.com for years and i hate to link another suppliers item but maybe they can carry it if it fills a need. below are the links.

The Hurricane CPAP Dryer
https://secure.mvapmed.com/mvap/AMAZING ... 01&eq=&Tp=

CPAP Tubing Hanger
https://secure.mvapmed.com/mvap/AMAZING ... 50&eq=&Tp=
$475 for a hose dryer

You could by enough hoses to just throw one away every week for 3 and half years.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:11 pm

DreamStalker wrote: $475 for a hose dryer

You could by enough hoses to just throw one away every week for 3 and half years.
Agreed. My eyes bugged out when I saw the price, too.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:17 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:

Agreed. My eyes bugged out when I saw the price, too.
For that kind of money you could just get a backup CPAP machine and get dual use out of it.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:28 pm

With the added benefit of possibly introducing more microbes into your hose than were already there! It says nothing about "sterilizer"...only dryer. And 120 degrees just gives the little baddies a warm place to breed...

Yep, $475 is way too much just to get your hose blown...

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:12 pm

LinkC wrote:
With the added benefit of possibly introducing more microbes into your hose than were already there! It says nothing about "sterilizer"...only dryer. And 120 degrees just gives the little baddies a warm place to breed...

Yep, $475 is way too much just to get your hose blown...
Hmmm .... I don't know how much is too much cuz I've never had to pay to get my hose blown ...

But I do agree that more microbes = more bad.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:19 pm

... or for 3 months if you buy them from your local DME.
jeff

birdshell

Post by birdshell » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:57 pm

GumbyCT wrote:I don't get it - if it IS clean (as in just cleaned) why worry about drying it? Why not just put on and use it? You will just be adding more moisture to the dry hose, no?

To me drying it in room air will likely add many more impurities than you had before the cleaning.

Thank you, Gumby...I figure that having to worry about drying a hose is just a little bit too much for me. This is coming from one who has been taught from childhood that bleach is a GOOD smell. That $450 dryer is used in a lab setting for drying hoses that are to be used by various people, NOT ourselves from the previous night.

Dreamstalker, there seems to be NO consensus on cleaning ANY part of our CPAP equipment. I wonder what percentage of the forum actually deals with our various cleaning equipment discussions?

I wash all of my equipment once a week or so in fragrance-free dish detergent, rinse in hot water, and soak in a 1:10 vinegar:water solution for a half-hour, followed by a hot water rinse. I throw it all into a container with a tight, waterproof seal for the process, and take that warm hose right out of the 'bath' and then hook it to my machine within a minute or so. There is very little time for anything to grow, IMHO.

Y'know, sometimes it seems there are no new topics...

How a Newbie Dries a CPAP Hose

Karen,
Who always thought "clean" was overrated at home...

Be kinder than necessary; everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Click => Free Mammograms

dek16

Post by dek16 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:29 am

I found the hurricane cpap dryer for only about 150 bucks at the previously posted website for MVAP medical supplies. Apparently they make a small patient home unit. I just called them and asked if they made a cheaper one foor patients. The 475 dollar one is for sleep labs. I just got it last week and it wrks great. It gets athe headgear and tubing dried in about 45 minutes. Hope this helps

dek16

Post by dek16 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:35 am

I just bought the hurricane CPAP hose and mask dryer for 150 dollars at the MVAP medical supplies. Sorry I'm new to this forum and think I am getting lost on the threads. It works great and gets all my stuff dry in less than an hour. I figure for 150 dollars, it's worth it. The medical company told me to hang dry my stuff in the shower, but this isn't working real well. Plus my wife says she hates my CPAP stuff hagning around all day. Hope this hleps. MVAP supplies does make a lab unit dryer that is about 500 dollars, but just ask them about the patient model. Its very small and sits on my counter. Great website by the way for CPAP user.

williamco

Post by williamco » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:56 am

why you just don't run the machine for 3 minutes with hose attached, no humidity , no card inside?

for the person who used the computer fan to dry his hose, just to let you know the computer fan kick out the long built dust from inside the computer. if you open the computer you will find too much dust inside, it is a closed space after all

dek16

Post by dek16 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:14 am

UPdate, the hurricane has a couple inlet filters to keep dust away. The hurricane gets my mask, humidifier chamber, headgear and hose dry in about an hour. It has a nice see through lid also that keeps all this stuff covered during the day until I can pull it our at night to use it. The company name on the box who makes it i think is Siestamed. I don't think i would be using computer fans or just letting my CPAP blow through the hose for a while. This does nothing for my wet headgear and just puts extra hours on my CPAP. These damn CPAPs cost a lot of money and I am going to try not and abuse it. Now I just need to be able to wear it all night. So far I can get about 5 hours. Sometimes I wake up and I have pulled my mask off. But I feel better when I wake up.

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:19 pm

I wouldn't use one (even if I used a humidifier), but this is the info I could find:

SiestaMed Technologies
http://www.siestamed.com/products.html

Hurricane HE (Home Edition) Dries 1 hose at once List Price: $149
Hurricane SCE (Sleep Center Edition) Dries 3 hoses at once List Price: $475.00 (or $495 depending upon who you ask)

Review of Hurricane SCE
http://www.sleepdt.com/_journal/v4n5/pdf/V4N5-18-19.pdf

Hurricane HE

Hurricane SCE

Bad Art Director, no biscuit: These pictures should show the units in the same color.