Trying to find a mask that fits..opinions on Mirage Liberty?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NoREMs

Trying to find a mask that fits..opinions on Mirage Liberty?

Post by NoREMs » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:32 pm

OK...I've tried all the full face masks that my DME supplier has available (only three, all from ResMed...the Quattro, the Ultra Mirage, and some gel-type one that I don't know the name of). (Due to my allergy/sinus issues I need the full face because I never know when I might not be able to breathe through my nose.)

I'm having really bad leak problems, have tried both small and medium sizes in each type with no luck. I seem to be able to get a good seal at first but very shortly after I start getting bad leaks either at the eyes or chin. I've tried very loose to very tight and everything in between and nothing helps, and of course the very tight kills the bridge of my nose and my teeth. Maybe I have a weird shaped face or something. (Also, when I start getting a leak it makes me feel breathless, which may be an illusion just because of the pressure change but it's disconcerting.)

I found the Liberty on the ResMed site, and it looks like it might be an option for me. The idea of having nothing sit on the bridge of the nose is very enticing. For those of you who use the Liberty, what has your experience been? Did you try other full face masks first and have trouble? Do you think it's worth it to have the DME order it if they don't have it in stock (which they don't seem to)?

Thanks for helping me get this all figured out. I am going back and forth from complete despair that CPAP will never work to hopefuleness and excitement that I will finally start getting a good night's sleep!

Shari

Muse-Inc

Re: Trying to find a mask that fits..opinions on Mirage Liberty?

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:42 pm

Shari, I'm wearing the Hybrid made by RespCare (Innomed & other names); it's the orginal hybrid-style mask. It comes with 3 sizes of mouthpieces and 3 sizes of nasal pillows so there are a lot of options for getting the right fit for your face. The Liberty comes in 2 sizes and you must order the right size. I watched the video of both on their websites: http://www.mergenetsolutions.com/hybrid/ and http://www.resdmed.com before making a choice. The Liberty has more parts.

I went from the OptiLife pillow mask which I love when I developed this lip leak habit . Other than a lot of initial tweaking to get the fit exactly right (I'm on day 9), I like this mask.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

roster

Post by roster » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:56 pm

I recommend the Hybrid mask. Like Muse said, it comes with three mouthpiece sizes and three nasal pillow sizes. I have three years experience wearing the Hybrid nightly and can give you some tips for adjusting it.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

millich

Post by millich » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:37 pm

Please bear with me... I am brand new to CPAP & CPAP masks... I, too, am having leak & FF mask issues. Can you explain the mouthpiece on the hybrid mask? I'm having trouble visualizing it. What is it like?

THANKS!

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:48 pm

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Bison William

Post by Bison William » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:10 am

I bought a Hybrid and couldn't use it because of the high pressure that I am on. Suggest you try one if at all possible before you buy one.

roster

Post by roster » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:32 pm

Bison William wrote:I bought a Hybrid and couldn't use it because of the high pressure that I am on. Suggest you try one if at all possible before you buy one.
This is good advice with any mask.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:50 pm

If you do get one go very careful with it, it is very fragile. The clip holders broke on mine within a week. I normally use a Swift LT with no pillow issues at all, however i could not get used to the pillows on this mask.

angela6

Post by angela6 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:48 pm

I am a newbie and have a Liberty. I have been using it for about six weeks now. I previously had tried the Hybrid but the mask wasn't a good fit for me (I couldn't keep a good seal) though many are happy with the Hybrid.

I then switched to the Liberty and am satisfied.

What I found crucial for a low leak rate is to clean the mouth cushion and pillows daily. For me I would get more leaks and have to fiddle with the mask more if I don't clean the above mentioned parts daily. I think it has something to do with the material that seals around the mouth; it is very thin and for me reactive to being dirty and to facial oils.

It is true that the Liberty only comes in small or large, but I used the sizing guide from Resmed and I found it to be accurate.

I now believe that fitting of a mask is very individual; you have to try one to see if it will work for you.

And I got a good price on the purchase of the Liberty from cpapauction.com

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:24 pm

I have used both the Liberty and Hybrid. The Hybrid is hotter and the chin flap I found confining. But the Lib doesn't fit my face well and I get leaks at the corners of my mouth. I get a much better face seal with the Hybrid. I have to use an elastic band under the front of the nose pillows to get a seal there (with either mask). No biggie. (It's a minimalist approach to the "Rooster Wears Pantyhose" fix... )

Both are excellent masks...it just depends on which fits better. If the Hybrid isn't working for you, by all means try the Lib!

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

roster

Post by roster » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:21 pm

LinkC wrote:.........(It's a minimalist approach to the "Rooster Wears Pantyhose" fix... )

That's tights buddy, not pantyhose!

ricochetv1

Post by ricochetv1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:34 pm

I used a Quattro in the titration study. It was ok, but having to use that bridge tightening thing was annoying, because I needed to change it every time I changed position. I did some research and found the Liberty. Figuring it would be the best bet, I had the DME deliver that one when I got my eqp. They fit me with the large facial mask and small nose pillows. So far, I'm liking it much better than the Quattro.
Someone asked what the mouthpiece is like... it's basically just an oval that covers the mouth. Works great unless you smile, but how many people do that in the middle of the night. Well, maybe for those "really good" dreams....but anyway, I've had very little leakage... little bit at the corner of one side of my mouth at times, but the nose pillows allow you the freedom to move the mouth cover around to accomodate you. I've never had a problem with it slipping around too much. I wake up and still have a decent seal. So far, my worst leak night was .25 L/s @ 9cm, which still ain't bad.
The only problem is with the small nose pillows, tend to have a whistling sound when exhaling through the nose... I'm such a mouth breather that it hasn't really been an issue. If I nose-breath after I go to sleep, it hasn't awakened my wife or our 2-month son who's still sleeping in a basinet at the end of the bed.

ten_tenn

Post by ten_tenn » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:47 am

I have been using the mirage liberty for a little over 6 months. It is much better than any full face I've tried. I haven't tried a hybrid so I can't compare to a simular product. I keep facial hair and have to go a little tight to get a good seal. My pressure has been below 10 until last week. After my sleep study last week I am up to 15 and can not get a seal on the nose pillows with any of the options for the liberty. All else fails I'll get up earlier and slowly peel the duct tape off my face.

ricochetv1

Post by ricochetv1 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:40 am

ten_tenn wrote:I have been using the mirage liberty for a little over 6 months. It is much better than any full face I've tried. I haven't tried a hybrid so I can't compare to a simular product. I keep facial hair and have to go a little tight to get a good seal. My pressure has been below 10 until last week. After my sleep study last week I am up to 15 and can not get a seal on the nose pillows with any of the options for the liberty. All else fails I'll get up earlier and slowly peel the duct tape off my face.
Actually, the Liberty is a hybrid...

DNAClone

Post by DNAClone » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:09 am

I figured that the Hybrid and Liberty have both the mask and pillows to worry about leaks.
I am trying the F & P Full Face Forma which is basically an HC432 with medium and large cushion. It's soft foam does not bother my nose bridge like the Qauttro did. The foam is flexible and can be tightened to stop leaks.
The fact that the mask goes slightly under the chin makes a huge difference for me.

I discovered this mask after trying the F & P 407 Nasal mask which was much better than the Comfortgel and Activa LT. Now I have a found a great nasal mask ans well as full face when I have bad allergies.
I am surprised that my sleep lab and DME never recommended the F & P masks. They only mentioned the Resmed ad Respironics models.