Is it just me or does anyone else dislike the Remstar M ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mrammell

Is it just me or does anyone else dislike the Remstar M ?

Post by mrammell » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:12 pm

I have the Remstar Pro2 with Cflex and have loved it. Now I see it is discontinued. I wish I would have purchased another one and put it away for down the road. I much prefer using the Pro2 at home. However, I bought the REMstar Plus M Series with C-Flex for travel where it's smaller, etc. It "whines" where my Pro2 doesn't. The noise bugs my wife a little. The Blue lights bug me. It's a good machine but the old Pro2 spoiled me. Am I the only one out there who is sad the Pro2 is gone? By the way, my humidifier tank is leaking, I guess around the seal. Where can one purchase the tank now that the machine is discontinued? Thanks.

Wulfman

Re: Is it just me or does anyone else dislike the Remstar M ?

Post by Wulfman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:39 pm

mrammell wrote:I have the Remstar Pro2 with Cflex and have loved it. Now I see it is discontinued. I wish I would have purchased another one and put it away for down the road. I much prefer using the Pro2 at home. However, I bought the REMstar Plus M Series with C-Flex for travel where it's smaller, etc. It "whines" where my Pro2 doesn't. The noise bugs my wife a little. The Blue lights bug me. It's a good machine but the old Pro2 spoiled me. Am I the only one out there who is sad the Pro2 is gone? By the way, my humidifier tank is leaking, I guess around the seal. Where can one purchase the tank now that the machine is discontinued? Thanks.
I hear ya. Even though I have several other Legacy model Autos, I keep coming back to my Pro 2......it's whisper quiet.
I've never used an M Series machine, but I've gathered (from what I've read) that it's the "luck of the draw" on them as far as noise (or lack thereof) goes.

With regard to your humidifier tank on the Pro 2, they're still available (new) at CPAP.COM and I see there are some (used) ones available on CPAPAUCTION.COM.
Have you made sure that it's put together correctly? The bottom plate needs to be set on a flat surface and then push the tank down on it until the (plastic) top meets the plate. Inspect it for any possible gaps.
I've never taken my original one (that came with my Pro 2) apart. I've never needed to.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:35 am

As a owner of the "Classic Pro 2 and two Classic APAP's, I consider the "M" model to be a cheaper built step down. That's why Den and I stocked up while we could.

If I need another XPAP and i probably won't it won't be a "M" or a Resmed, more than likely part because I don't think the products are good enough, and I also don't like how both of them treat the end users. I tend to vote with my billfold. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

DNAClone

Post by DNAClone » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:23 am

I take care of the blue lights by lifting the cover at night. Since the back of the machine faces me in bed, I don't see the lights at all. One problem solved.
The whisper cap which should have been packaged with the machine does decrease the sound about 10%.

mrammell

Post by mrammell » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:37 am

Thanks, glad to know others struggle with the "M" and love their old Pro2 Now, gotta go find another one!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:42 am

The M Series reputation preceded them. When I went shopping for a backup bi-level, I didn't even look at an M Series. I just kept searching and biding my time and eventually a lightly used pre-M Series Bi-PAP Auto w/Bi-Flex became available and I bought it. I have no complaints w/it - except the usual complaints about the Respironics: the power brick, the PITA access and limited data via the LCD screen, etc. Therapy is excellent as one would expect.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:51 pm

I have two "M" series and I love both of them. I can't imagine one being any quiter and the blue lights don't bother me at all. I used to cover the lights with a sticky memo pad or a sock. I moved it to a cabnet a bit higher than my head and now I no longer notice the lights at all.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:55 pm

I liked my CFLEX, but I love my AFLEX.

Luckily, my M series AFLEX is quite quiet, and the blue lights don't bother me a whit (oddly, I like them).

It's not for everyone, but for me the AFLEX on setting # 2 is just about like normal breathing (the CFLEX was okay, but a bit abrupt. Sort of ON! - off - ON! -off...)

Using the nightly data as feedback, I gradually inched my lower pressure threshold to a cm above my titrated presssure; and, moved the upper threshold 2.5 cm above that (9.5-12 cm). I've read online that a few others have gotten the best results with the lower threshold set a trace higher than titrated pressure. Results are excellent, AHI typically below 0.5, and I'm a happy papper.<P>

Others report different results, and that's why it's so good that we have a wide choice of brands and models.