F & P Full Face Models

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DNAClone

F & P Full Face Models

Post by DNAClone » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:05 pm

I was planning to order the F & P HC 432 FF Mask because the Quattro model in 2 sizes didn't work for me.
My DME offered me an F & P Forma Full Face which they claim is very similar to the 432. They said the Forma is a newer model, comes with 2 size cushions and has added comfort and stability in the forehead.
Should I get the Forma or wait a week for the HC 432 to arrive? I trust this site will tell it like it is!
Thanks.

cinco777

Re: F & P Full Face Models

Post by cinco777 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:09 pm

I have both the F&P 431 and the F&P 432 and use them both. I'm using the 431 now as it is cooler to wear when the room temperatures are high. I plan to use the 432 when Fall and Winter roll around. I like the fit of both on my face especially the under the chin fitting design. I once used a ComfortFull FF mask and didn't like the feeling of it pressed against my face below my lips. The F&P 431 and 432 are so much more comfortable for me to wear, plus I have been able to reduce the leaks to a minimum with each mask. It is a rare night that the masks leak and the leaks are a concern. I wash the cushion with Johnson's baby shampoo each morning and let it dry before using it again. Once a week, I soak it in a solution of white vinegar and water. I purchased two replacement cushions on CPAP auction but have not used them as the initial mask cushion is still sealing very well against leaks. Whichever mask you get, I highly recommend that you try it out before bedtime so that you can see what headgear arrangement and strap tightness work best for you re reducing leaks and having a comfortable fitting. I tried different fittings for an hour for my first 431 mask one afternoon hooked up at my pressure before I wore it at night. I've since tweaked it a couple of times. Once you find the strap fittings and tightness working for you, I recommend that you leave them at that setting. Take the mask off by unclipping it not by loosening the velcro on the straps.

I am not familiar with the Forma mask. If you get one, please report back to the forum your findings re comfort and leak control.

I live in my body. I know my body better than anyone else in the world. I may consult a medical professional for advice, but no one, and I do mean NO ONE tells me what I am permitted to do. - Kiralynx

cpapquuen

Post by cpapquuen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:36 pm

Forma......gets a much better seal than the 432 wihtout having to overtighten the straps

SaltLakeJan

Post by SaltLakeJan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:43 pm

I have a F& P Zest mask, I like it much better than the ResMed Mirage Micro, which is a similar mask. I want a FF mask, and am interested in how F&P FF f will fit different people..

I will follow this thread for the conclusions.

Jan

DNAClone

Post by DNAClone » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:07 pm

I believe the Forma is the newest Full Face from F & P followed by the 432 and 431. Is this correct?
Assuming the Forma and 432 are very similar, just the fact that the Forma has 2 cushions included is important.
I started with a Medium Quattro and then tried the Large and neither were that good.
I also tried the medium and Large Activa LT Nasal which did not do a great job with leaks. However, the F & P 407 Nasal worked like a charm but I need a FF for those many bad allergy days.

cinco777

Post by cinco777 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:04 pm

My F&P Flexifit 431 came with three cushions - Small, Medium, & Large. The Large works best for me. Some folks sell or trade their extra unused cushions - I haven't so far. After using the 431 for more than a month and liking it, I purchased a new F&P 432 Large at a good price from CPAP Auction. The 432 must be purchased in the size required - Small, Medium & Large.

I live in my body. I know my body better than anyone else in the world. I may consult a medical professional for advice, but no one, and I do mean NO ONE tells me what I am permitted to do. - Kiralynx

DYNE540

Post by DYNE540 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:56 am

hI,

I've used 2 different masks before i got the Forma.

The forma was the best choice for me b/c it cups my chin so i don't open my mouth.
It also fits the contours of my face better than the other 2 i tried.
I also don't get much if any real leak issues.

it's a great buy. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -mask.html

twokatmew

Post by twokatmew » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:48 am

I use the F&P 406 nasal mask, which is the "petite" version of the 407. I've been looking for a full face mask too, and I first tried a Quattro XS. I had terrible problems with blowouts, and my face didn't particularly like the "shiny" cushion. I recently got a F&P 432 Small off cpapauction. I much prefer F&P's "frosted" seal as well as the under-the-chin design. I do wish the "small" 432 were a little smaller. When I first got the mask, I spent some time in the afternoon getting it adjusted and trying it out for a nap. I was amazed at how little adjustment it took to get rid of the leaks. Even though I haven't messed with the strap adjustment, I can't seem to get it fitting the same way as when I first used it. (I think FFMs take more fiddling to get them sealed properly.) Nevertheless, I'm persisting with this mask, as I think it will ultimately work for me. BTW, I've tried the 432 with and without the foam cushion, and I prefer it with the foam, so I'm glad I chose the 432 over the 431.

The 406/407 masks have the same two-pad forehead piece as the Forma, and because the pads were not terribly comfortable on my forehead and left nasty marks, I got a forehead pad from PadACheek. (Karen "special made" a pad that fits my 406.) It's much more comfortable and leaves only two light pink spots that are gone in minutes now. I thought the 432, having only one forehead pad would be worse on the forehead than the two-pad design. Strangely no. It's still not the most comfortable, however, so I just ordered a forehead/nose pad from PadACheek.

I'm wondering how the cushions & seals differ between the 432 and Forma. According to cpap.com, the 432 runs a little smaller than the 431, but there's no comment as to how the Forma compares size-wise.

My gripes with my particular 432 is that the elbow (where it joins the mask frame) squeaks. IIRC, someone commented that Ayr Gel remedies that. Also, the exhaust on this mask makes more of a hissing sound than I've experienced with other masks. It's not that loud, it just hisses, so I'm always feeling for leaks on the mask. Overall, I much prefer this mask over the Quattro.

Re multiple cushions coming with the Forma, that's only on certain sizes. Small and Extra Large only come with one cushion. The Medium/Large comes with one of each size. Unfortunately they're all the same price!

DNAClone

Post by DNAClone » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:30 pm

Just checked the website comparing the Forma and HC 232 Full Face Masks.
They seem identical. Since the Forma is currently available from my DME with both the medium and large cushions, I guess I will pick it up next week. I'll keep you posted

twokatmew

Post by twokatmew » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:14 pm

OK, I lied.

I just took a nap wearing the 432, and the exhaust valve does not hiss. I must have had a leak previously and couldn't find it.

Usually I wipe the seal down with a citrus wipe when I get up, so the mask is dry when I put it on later. Today I wiped it down again and put it on a few minutes later, so the seal was a little "tacky" feeling. I also upped my pressure from 9.4 to 10cm, slept on each side and ... had an AHI of 1.9, AI of 0.0! Now it was only a nap, but instead of wearing my nasal mask and chin strap tonight, I think I'll continue with the 432. I must have done much less tossing and turning too, because I woke up with my hips feeling rather stiff. Best news is that the headache I woke up with today is now gone!

DNAClone, I'll be interested to hear your report on the Forma. When I checked out part numbers a bit more, it seems that the 431, 432 and Forma all use the same silicone seal. The 432 and Forma use different foam cushions. One of the Forma reviews on cpap.com says the 432 foam cushion will fit the Forma frame.

DYNE540

Post by DYNE540 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:28 pm

If you rotate the hose vertically, over your head, then sometimes i get a hiss. i HAVEN'T figured out if it's the pressure from the cpap combined with my exhale or just the pressure of the cpap. It's not annoying, but it's avoidable. the squeaky elbow just started on my forma after i cleaned it one day. its not that troubling tho.

i stand by this mask b/c of the chin coverage, very little leak, and it's soft on my face.

good luck.

DNAClone

Post by DNAClone » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:11 pm

Is the Forma a newer model than the 432? They seemd to be priced similarly, in fact several online shops had the 432 more expensive.