Altitude equivalent of CPAP pressure

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
socks349

Altitude equivalent of CPAP pressure

Post by socks349 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:27 pm

I'm sure there's a table somewhere, but how does CPAP pressure correspond to altitude. For instance if my CPAP machine is set to 10 cm and I live at sea level, what is the corresponding pressure at 6,000 ft? I know many machines have auto compensation, just trying to get a feel for what 10 cm means relative to altitude.

jdm2857

Re: Altitude equivalent of CPAP pressure

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:01 pm

Atmospheric pressure at sea level = 1 atm = 14.7 lb/square in = 1034 cm H20 (approx.)

So a CPAP pressure of 10 cm H20 is about 1% of atmospheric pressure.
jeff

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:01 pm

If you have the REMstar Pro 2 (as listed in your profile), it DOES have altitude compensation.
Rule of thumb......
All of the "data-capable" machines in the Respironics and ResMed lines have altitude compensation......and probably most of the other manufacturers lines, too.
Non-data-capable machines do not have that feature and have to be manually adjusted.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:34 pm

Note that pressure, given in inches of water, is the same at any altitude. What is different is the absolute pressure. So, if a machine references its output pressure to the local ambient atmospheric pressure with a sensor, you will get good numbers. Very simple machines, without pressure sensors cannot do this. Auto-adjust machines have to do this. I would guess, as has been stated earlier, any data-capable machine should be able to do it.

Look in the specifications on CPAP.com. It gives (for the machines I looked at) the altitude range over which the machine can compensate.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:41 pm

The added pressure of XPAP treatment would be more like going down in alt, as the pressure is increased by XPAP. It means nothing, as XPAP treatment works on a pressure differental of the pressure in the airway being more than the pressure on the body, forcing the airway open. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:00 pm

Absolute air pressure does change with altitude. It is due to the weight of air above, and at higher altitudes there is simply less air above.

It just like being underwater. The deeper one goes, the higher the pressure.

At 6000 ft. above sea level atmospheric pressure drops to .80 atm = 11.8 lb/square in = 830 cm H20.

Physics class dismissed.
jeff