OT: Weightloss Surgery- contemplating it

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Trinity101

OT: Weightloss Surgery- contemplating it

Post by Trinity101 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:34 am

Hi, all- since there is a very well-respected center for weightloss surgery near me, and after much soul-searching about the other medical issues I have been dealing with; I am seriously thinkng about having weightloss surgery. This is NOT about the cosmetic aspects-it will,of course,be nice to fit into something smaller than Omar's creations, but the real reason is my health. I would like to be at my grandkids' weddings and also NOT to embarrass the rest of my family at other functions. For those who have had it done-I would appreciate your input, please. Thanks very much- this is a very tough decision.
~joan

I know why you're here... I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep,.. and why night after night, you sit by your computer... It's the question that drives us... It's the question that brought you here. The Matrix,1999

dsm

Re: OT: Weightloss Surgery- contemplating it

Post by dsm » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:07 am

Joan,

I am seeing this guy re an unlikely stomach (anti-Reflex) op but noticed his web site has some useful info even though not in the US.

hope the link my help you (even has videos of a gastric banding op).

http://www.sydneygastricbanding.com.au/ ... ml#banding

good luck

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:10 am

Speaking as someone who has been more than morbidly obese, AND who has fought gut issues for many years, I considered the surgery. And decided I did not want them screwing around with my gut any further.

I know a lady who did not have GERD before lap-band, and now she does. She had to have the band removed a few years ago because of on-going issues with it.

Skip the "it's so easy!" hoopla -- this is SURGERY, and a permanent change to the way your gut was intended to function.

I asked a lady who had it what she was eating. She is allowed about 2.5 ounces of protein, and around 56 grams of carbs per day. No mention of fats. Heck, if I could eat that little without getting a rampaging headache, I might lose the extra 100 pounds, too. (I have lost 180 pounds, without surgery.)

I also talked to someone who had the surgery, and who probably weighs around 500 pounds. He said, yes, he'd had it, but because the procedure didn't address his mental issues with food, it didn't take him long to figure out how to keep eating a whole lot, so he did lose initially, but then gained it all back.

My personal opinion? While I will continue working to get the excess weight off, for my own comfort if nothing else, I choose to be healthy, regardless of my weight, and I'm not going to let "them" stampede me into a lucrative procedure (for them) which will have permanent effects on my ability to absorb nutrition I need to function.

Losing weight ain't easy, and it's not a matter of "You could lose weight if you wanted to... try getting a little exercise, like pushing yourself away from the table." (A quote from a doctor I once saw.)

It's funny how dismayed the docs are when they find out I exercise 6-9 hours a week, with core-strengthening exercises and deep-water swimming. They're also stunned when they find out I prepare all my food, eat no junk food, drink no soda, consume no sugar or starch. Meat, vegetables, small amounts of fruit, properly prepared yogurt, hard cheeses, nuts. How can I possibly be fat if I exercise and eat a nutritious diet?

Just as with xPAP therapy, no two people's solutions are the same. I'm working on mine. I hope you find one which works for you.

In the mean time, Omar has some pretty nice outfits.

But I'm headed for the pool to do my water therapy....

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

BeanMeScot

Post by BeanMeScot » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:19 am

Kiralynx wrote:I also talked to someone who had the surgery, and who probably weighs around 500 pounds. He said, yes, he'd had it, but because the procedure didn't address his mental issues with food, it didn't take him long to figure out how to keep eating a whole lot, so he did lose initially, but then gained it all back.
This is one of the most important issues with the surgery. The theory is that the surgery changes the way you can eat. For a while. If you don't embrace those changes and continue eating that way, you can eventually get around the changes the surgery made and find yourself with a surgically altered gastric system and heading back to the weight you were originally.

Also, keep in mind that gastric bypass is a dangerous surgery. Death as a result, is not that uncommon. It's not like having your appendix out which has a pretty low probability of other issues.

Best of luck with your decision.

jnk

Post by jnk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:53 am

I consider this the key info:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/weight-loss-s ... eight-loss :
Gastric banding is considered the least invasive weight loss surgery. It is also the safest. The procedure can be reversed if necessary, and in time, the stomach generally returns to its normal size.

Gastric banding surgery has a low complication rate. The most common problems after gastric banding surgery include:

Nausea and vomiting. These can often be reduced by adjusting the tightness of the band.

Minor surgical complications occur less than 10% of the time. These include problems with the adjustment device, wound infections, or minor bleeding.

The risk of death due to gastric banding surgery is about 1 in 2,000.

Unlike gastric bypass surgery, gastric banding does not interfere with food absorption. For this reason, vitamin deficiencies are rare after gastric banding.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:02 am

As others have already implied ... changing your lifestyle is the healthier option. My sister had it done about 5 or 6 years ago and lost about 100 lbs. During the last couple of years she has begun to gain it all back because she never learned to eat right. She still eats pizza, lasanga, donuts, and all of the other high starch/sugar, high fat foods that make most people fat.

For obese people, the first thing they have to do to lose weight is stop eating carbs (at least until they get within 10 to 20 lbs of their ideal weight). I'm not talking about the relatively few carbs found in most vegetables. Avoid the starchy vegetable like potatos, and other root veggies and eat all you want of the green and leafy types. Avoid fruits until you get within about 20 to 30 lbs of your ideal weight. Eat lean meats and lots of cold water fish. Moderate your fat intake with polyunsturated fats (olive oil, avacados, nuts) and take quality fish oil supplements (Carlson's is a good option -- very high in EPA and DHA). And even after you get to your ideal weight, you should avoid refined processed carbs and moderate intake limted to whole grains.

Finally move your body ... no need to join a gym or buy fancy equipment. Just walk and do good old-fashioned calisthenics and/or yoga ... whatever you can do to move the body for 30 minutes a day. It takes time so be patient. Nonetheless, your body will respond quickly and favorably and your lipid profile will improve, your BP will reduce, and you will notice feeling better too.

Several months ago when I was talking to my PCP doc about my weight loss plan, we got to talking about weightloss surgery. He said he will never recomend this surgery to anyone because of the four patients of his that had it done, three of them died of complications and the one that it did work for, became severely depressed and lost her marriage and he never saw or heard from her again. He said for all he knows, she probably committed suicide. Maybe he just had unlucky patients ... maybe the surgery is hyped because it is a money making proceedure? IMO, significantly reducing your carb intake and moving your body is much less risky than the surgery.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:19 am

Hi Joan. I have not had this surgery, though I thought about it at one time. Since I lost 50 pounds, I don't think I'd qualify any longer, and at least I know I can lose weight. The things that helped me lose this first 50 were going off Prednisone, using Byetta for my sugar, regular water exercise, getting better sleep, and going off Mirapex. The Mirapex and poor sleep had caused insatiable cravings. Using Byetta foreces one to eat less, or you will throw it back up. Made that mistake only once. But the best thing I did for myself was the water exercise. I haven't been for a while (money issues), but it did more for my over all well being than I can describe.

I've known people who had different weight loss surgeries, some with long term success, others not. It's a very personal decision, and as long as one goes in fully informed, can be a tool to better health. I don't know what all you have done in prior or current efforts, but most progams will require you make a concerted effort before they'll do the surgery. Doing that can give you a better idea what results your best efforts can produce.

Whatever you decide, I understand your desire to stop the madness of living with the ravages of morbid obesity. I'm in your corner.

Kathy

jnk

Post by jnk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 am

This online questionnaire may help in the decision-making process:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/weight-loss-s ... efault.htm
Last edited by jnk on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

SheZAAM!

Post by SheZAAM! » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:00 am

Also on the tip about addressing behavioral issues.....

I'm a substance abuse counselor. I started seeing a big increase a few years ago of people in rehab who'd had gastric bypass, lapband, etc. So I asked the dietician. I was told that because the surgery doesn't address the behavioral issues (re: food addiction) that got the person to the point of needing surgery, they switched their addiciton to a different substance, most often alcohol. Plus, they sometimes wound up drinking so much, that they stretched their stomach back out to a normal size and were on the road to regaining the weight lost.

A good example is Carnie Wilson. http://www.exposay.com/carnie-wilson-ta ... ry/v/5620/

Elbysmom2004

Post by Elbysmom2004 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:28 pm

I'm actually going through the process for the surgery now. I had my psych eval, went to the dietician, and so forth. My insurance requires a psych eval to make sure that there are no under-lying conditions that would make the surgery fail. If there is then they require you to treat that condition first. I just got my report and I'm good to go. I now have to wait for my letter of support from my dr. As soon as I get that they will submit to my insurance which means as of right now it is just a waiting game. Which I hate.

It is not something that I look at as a "solution". It scares the crap out of me and my biggest fear is leaving my babies here on earth with no mother. However, if I don't do something then I will leave them here on earth with no mother.

With my diet and excersize changes I have stopped my BP meds and I have lowered my cholesterol to within the normal range. However, I have gained 10lbs! Go figure. I had a weight loss of almost 15lbs when I first started CPAP and when I went to the dr the other day I gained 10 of that 15 back.

I just started Byetta about a week ago or so and when I weighed myself this morning I was right at the same weight. Not a lb lost or gained.

All I know is I cannot live like this anymore and I have tried everything. I'm currently on a 1,000 cal diet with a diet journal and I write everything (I mean EVERYTHING) down in it including a stick of gum that has 3.5 cals. That counts towards my 1,000 cals a day. If I choose to be stupid and have waffles for breakfast then its nothing but raw carrotts for dinner just so I can take my meds otherwise I skip meds and dinner. I have to be smart on how I divide up the cals because 1,000 isn't much to play with. Also, no more than 45 carbs at each meal with NO SNACKS.

I'm tired of being hungry all the time and not loosing weight. I've done this for 6 months now! Like I said I'm doing it because I can't live like this anymore. I'm doing it while my twins are young enough to not remember mommy being sick from the surgery (If I do get sick). I'm doing it not only for myself but for them.

I'm tired of everytime I sit down to eat and I put something in my mouth I feel like someone is watching me. I'm tired of when I bought my dad's b-day cake I heard some guys going "boom, boom, boom" behind me and saying no wonder she's so fat! It hurts and it's not fun. However, that's why I'm taking my life back.

I'm ready for the change and I can't wait. We do 2 veggie dinners a night, 2 fish, 2 lean meats, and one 'fun' night. Fun night consists of healthy but fun meals such as whole wheat pasta with home made sauce. Veggie skewers with rice and turkey. Homemade pizza using whole wheat crust. For sweets we do whipped cream frozen (tastes just like ice cream) and if you use the sugar free/fat free there is a lot less cals. Fruity herbal tea's. Natures sugar like watermellon or strawberries. Mix strawberries and blueberries in homemade plain yogart and it's better than ice cream. This is all stuff that I can eat on my diet after the surgery.

Sorry this is so long.
Pressure set at 15
Ramp:20 min starts at 4.5.

Regular Meme

Post by Regular Meme » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:57 am

I'm somebody who has battled weight issues all of my life. When I first started cpap, I lost 25 pounds. I was much more active and felt so much better. However, I fell off the wagon and gained it all back plus 10 pounds. When I had my annual check-up, it showed I had developed type two diabetes and my cholesterol was way up. That was a real wake-up call for me. That was two and a half years ago and I have since lost 55 pounds and am still working on it. I had to just face the fact that I could not eat like other people do. I gain weight too easily. I really have to keep my calorie count down. I exercise regularly but in the last six months, my back and my knees have gone out. That's just an age thing. I do water exercises now but I've always loved walking and miss it. I don't have diabetes any more and my cholesterol is back under control. I plan to lose 30 more pounds but I know it will take a lot of self control over the long haul.

My daughter had lap band surgery a couple of years ago. She had to go through the psychiatric evaluation and all sorts of tests too. They approved her and she had the surgery. I would not have the surgery even if I could based on her experience alone. The psychiatric evaluation is a joke. All they wanted to know is if she had ever suffered from eating disorders and was a fairly well adjusted person. After the surgery, they do not help with the cravings that don't leave you just because you can't hold as much. Also, she is pregnant and due next week and has acid reflux that is unbelievable. Because of the pregnancy, she can't take a lot of the medications for acid reflux. The one she does take, acidflux, is about $60.00 a pill and only helps a little. Also, as soon as the baby comes, the doctors are going to check her esophogus to see how bad the damage is. Her insurance company quit covering lap bands a month after she had her surgery and so if she has to have the band removed, she has to pay for it out of pocket. She's lost about 130 pounds but at what cost both physically and financially. Her ban has also slipped, which is common but the doctors won't tell you that, which causes a lot of problems too. If she had the band removed, she will probably gain all of the weight back because she hasn't learned to push the plate back even though you're still hungry or in reality still want more food.

Losing weight is hard. There's just no easy way to do it and it's a lifelong process. I would advise anybody considering weight loss surgery to be very careful.

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:38 am

I have appreciated everyone's posts on here about this issue. I am obese and need to lose weight. Recently my doctor told me my numbers are "over the edge" for type 2 diabetes and wants me too lose weight to see if the numbers come down.

I have, in the past, comtemplated weight loss surgery (the lapband), but have decided against it. I use food as a crutch and I admit I love food. I don't smoke or drink -- but love to eat. One addiction is enough for me. I have an addictive personality and must deal with those issues in order to control my appetite. I have lost 25 pounds in the last month and half. I need to start exercising more and move more. It is hard though when your body hurts like all get out, yet, I know the weight doesn't help with this issue.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

Trinity101

Post by Trinity101 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:53 am

Well, first of all-anyone who thinks that having the surgery is a quick fix is gravely mistaken. It is not- there still has to be lots of lifetime work to have a lasting loss. However, the stats on Morbidity and mortality are WAY less than they were 20 years ago, or I would not have even considered it. It is really interesting that even if you go thru something as dangerous and that requires a major committment to be successful at, as this type of procedure-some people still want to tell you, it doesn't count because you didn't "do it yourself". I may not have it done; I don't know yet- but it will NOT be because there are such CUTE clothes in my size- no such thing- no matter what I try to tell myself- I look like a whale- and always will at this weight. Please...I can tell myself that I dress appropriately for my age and wear the right size- nothing looks worse than trying to wear something too small-but I do NOT look good in anything, ever.
Thanks for everyone's comments. I still don't know what I am going to do. if I figure it out,I'll let you know.
~joan

I know why you're here... I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep,.. and why night after night, you sit by your computer... It's the question that drives us... It's the question that brought you here. The Matrix,1999

BeanMeScot

Post by BeanMeScot » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:07 pm

Elbysmom2004 wrote:All I know is I cannot live like this anymore and I have tried everything. I'm currently on a 1,000 cal diet with a diet journal and I write everything (I mean EVERYTHING) down in it including a stick of gum that has 3.5 cals. That counts towards my 1,000 cals a day. If I choose to be stupid and have waffles for breakfast then its nothing but raw carrotts for dinner just so I can take my meds otherwise I skip meds and dinner. I have to be smart on how I divide up the cals because 1,000 isn't much to play with. Also, no more than 45 carbs at each meal with NO SNACKS.
Eating too little can be just as bad as eating too much. I have a friend in Weight Watchers and they will yell at people for not eating enough. While you do want to reduce your caloric intake, you don't want your body to go into starvation mode either. When it does, it tries to conserve every calorie it gets.

I don't pay a lot of attention to the number of calories I eat but I walk about 2.5 miles EVERY day (and I do mean every). I eat cereal with low fat milk for breakfast, Lean Cuisine for lunch and whatever I want for dinner, within reason. I almost always have some chocolate or something sweet at some point during the day, too. I have fruit, almonds and peanuts and even Goldfish at home for small snacks. I have been steadily losing weight since last Oct. I am not losing it quickly, by any means, but I am eating a fairly large number of calories and still losing weight. That's because my metabolism is staying up.

I do my walk with a lady at work almost every day. (I walk on a treadmill at home when we can't walk at work). She was saying she had been "bad" for the past month. She was doing well while at work eating cereal and salad for lunch but was drinking wine at home and snacking at night. She didn't even want to get on the scale. She did the other day and said she had gained only 1/2 pound and was shocked.

When your metabolism is being activated by getting adequate excercise, you will be shocked at how much you can eat and either not gain weight or lose it.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:29 pm

First off ... everyone is different. True that eating too little will "eventually" slow your metabolism. It is also true that exercising too much will do the same. However, the more fat/obese a person is, the less they have to worry about slowing metabolism by not eating enough and/or exercising too much. If a person is more than 50% above their ideal weight, it will likely take one or two months before metabolism will begin to slow to any significant amount (and they will know because they will stop losing weight). As a person gets closer and closer to their ideal weight, metabolism then becomes more and more important and that is what makes maintaining weightloss difficult because each person has to find the right balance of caloric intake (as well as macronutrient ratios) and energy output. Finally, a mirror is a better measure of weightloss than the scale. Weight fluctuations can vary by several lbs just to to water hydration levels. If you do use a scale, don't panic or jump for joy based on a change of a few lbs ... focus on the "trend" ... down is good and up is bad.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.